400i distributor cap | FerrariChat

400i distributor cap

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Piston.Broke, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi all.
    I am looking at replacing the distributor cap on my 1979 400iA (Single coil). I have read on previous threads that the Jaguar Marelli V12 cap (Dual coil) can be used as a direct replacement. (It has certain price and supply advantages over the original).
    I have 4 questions:
    1. Is the following cap 'Intermotor Distributor Cap 46952' a direct screw in replacement for the original?
    2. Can the original Ferrari Rotor be retained for use with this cap or is a new Rotor required?
    3. Can the dual coil cap be used by simply connecting up the single coil to the central coil tower and leaving the second coil post vacant?
    4. Has anyone else carried out this change of distributor cap and if so were there any problems in doing so?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.
    Cheers!
    Piston.Broke

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Some of the questions are addressed in this post: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/v12-distributor-cap.543109/

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  4. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Rovexienus and Raemin.
    I have read the older thread but there is a lot of somewhat confilcting information and the answers to my questions arent necesarlily clear.
    I am sure that someone who has used these dist caps can answer my questions directly.

Cheers ! and thanks for the initial responses.

Piston.Broke

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, that cap will work. You just use the center coil terminal.

6. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks markcF355.

Did you use the original rotor button (Ferrari) or was a new rotor required?

7. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks so much markcF355 for the info.

This has been very helpful.

I will go ahead and order the Jag cap and keep my original (slightly damaged) cap as a spare.
    (I know that the 400i isn't a Testarossa or GTO, but I do love it and I keep all the original equipment with it when I have needed to fit aany replacement parts).

Thanks again to everyone who provided insight/advice.

Cheers!

Piston.Broke

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    These are the same cap except that the jaguar gas an
    The distributor cap is buried under the windscreen, one would hardly notice the additional HT plug of the the jaguar cap. In any case, Superformance does sell a proper cap (actually not perfect as you do have to trim it a bit in order to fit the EMF shield), so if you want to do some concourse, reverting back to stock is not such an issue.