My 308GT4 jigsaw puzzle | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My 308GT4 jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in '308/328' started by kiwiokie, Apr 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    absostone likes this.
  2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    NoGoSlow and absostone like this.
  3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    SamN and absostone like this.
  5. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Looking good!! I just want to tell you I have enjoyed watching this thread since 2017. The GT4 is such a great car to work on and restore.. great project with a lot of rewards in the end! Congrats

6. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Great thread. I'm just seeing this now, but I recall 14 years ago when I got my 308gt4, this is the treatment a 246 would get. My GT4 has been sitting for over a year, hope to have it running this morning after my coffee.

7. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Du_Man and Dom like this.
  8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Dom likes this.
  9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Dom likes this.
  10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Dom likes this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Had a terrible time removing 3 of the allen head socket screws for dash. One closest to drivers door was so corroded into the threaded insert I had to drill off the head. Then I could not find a replacement until saw them on Mr F??? Ordered one screw for $17 including shipping and this is what I got compared to the original on the right. When I contacted them thinking I was sent the wrong part received a reply that when you are working on older cars you have to accept that the exact replacement may not be possible. Right....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Rosey and Dom like this.
  12. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    John, wow just read thru this whole thread for the first time. You're doing a great job and so much fun to watch this all come together. Love it!

Also, mcmaster.com and fastenal.com are pretty remarkable sources if "you have to accept that sometimes the exact replacement may not be possible" :)

13. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Yeah I looked at the usual sources but could not find any with this oversize “decorative” head. I could buy an M5x20 exactly as was sent (for 35 cents each!) but they are such a prominent aesthetic feature of the dash I could not live with that. Fortunately GT Car Parts had just parted out a GT4 and had one saved that I cleaned up and used.

14. classicalfas

classicalfas Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2012
    Gardiner, NY
    Full Name:
    Peter D
    Just came across and read the whole thread. Fantastic job, as with your car mine did not come with the original wheel but I too managed to source one. But I don’t have a Dino horn button, where did you find yours? Peter.

15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Thanks, at times it feels like I have lost years off my life

I still need to detail my saga with the brake system. What a nightmare that was.

The horn button I bought off ebay. Looks like several suppliers with a few different designs.

16. CKing1

CKing1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 1, 2020
    Santa Cruz Ca.
    Full Name:
    John T Kufchak
    Wish i had the space, knowledge and time to do a project like this. Can't wait to see the end result . Looks fantastic!

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Filled tanks with 4 gallons of gas and ran fuel pump for 10 minutes. First time fuel pump has run since 2008 with previous owner. Draw was 0.73 to 0.76 amps and was not noisy so considered that a success. Engine still not in so simply connected fuel line to carbs with the return line to passenger side tank allowing fuel to cycle. Getting slight weeping around fuel filter seals so have to pull that and fix.

Got new plugs, rotors, caps and wires installed and confirmed correct orientation of distributors. Never noticed before but there is a very small hole in the distributor cap so you can see the rotor is lined up with the contact for cylinders 1&5.

Test fitted one exhaust manifold. Copper nuts for m8 exhaust manifold studs that I bought from belmetric have tapered or ovalled thread that prevents them being backed off without pulling out the studs so just used regular m8 nuts to test. Are these copper nuts single use fasteners?

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Still have differential seals to replace, check timing belt tension one more time and test fit AC compressor before I put the engine back in the car. Put some fancy heat barrier on inner face of exhaust heat shields. Lunar lander style.

TurtleFarmer, Dom and NoGoSlow like this.
  19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Do you have any pics on how you lifted it in?

20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    The engine is still not in the car. Trying to do everything possible on the engine while it is still easy to access. Have half a dozen items left on my punch list before I can try to install. Really not looking forward to that part

21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The engine install really is not that tricky

22. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Well that is good to know. Seems one of the hardest parts of restoration is not screwing up all the hard work painting and plating parts when you put it all back together. I have read most of the threads on engine removal but most don’t cover the reinstall. My main concern is that I leave something out of the engine bay that I should have installed before putting the engine back in causing me to have to pull the engine. I bought the car with the engine removed and partially stripped so I cannot just retrace my steps.

23. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Make sure you place the front header in first. Just rest it on the frame and push it forward.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I did mine with both headers off. And installed the engine mounts half way in the bay. It was the only way that worked for me. My car was on my lift so I lost 8 inches of height. Also the further down you go the more forward the engine goes. And opposite in removal

25. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Did you split the mounts leaving the frame on the block? I was intending on bolting the mounts to the chassis and leaving tbe frames on the block. Seems like it would be hard to locate all four mounts in the exact place to get the single bolts in from the underside. Also the dome shape of the mount looks like it is designed to help guide the engine into place.