A/C compressor during engine out service | FerrariChat

A/C compressor during engine out service

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    It has been 5 years and I need to perform another major service on my 91 TR.

Last time, I just undid the a/c lines as the system contained no refrigerant at the time. The a/c is working perfectly now and I would prefer to leave the system intact and untouched.

Is it practical to remove the belt and the compressor mounting bolts leave it in place? Do any of you who perform your own engine out service leave it in place? It definitely would be a 2 person job as someone will have to hold the compressor while the engine is lowered.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you take the engine with frame out to the buttom then you may remove the compressor and let it in
    but if you take out the engine to the top you can also do the same, but it will get a little difficult. not much space.

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks, so it can be done. I remove the engine and the subframe from below.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes...it's not easy but doable. Lower the engine down just a bit, reach in there and unbolt the compressor from the engine, and tie it up. Be sure to note the location of the shim(s) at the pivot bolt....so you get the alignment right when putting things back together.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    years ago, I just strapped the compressor to the frame and left it all intact. The scissor lift was on hydraulics while I unbolted the comp.... dangerous. Other than that, it was easy.

Last time, I drained the freon and left the comp on the engine. Now i have an empty system and need to track down a shop to refill it. A tru PIA

dangerous vs PIA

turbo-joe likes this.