F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 17 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    in hockemheim Vettel was chased by a charging Lewis. If Vettel made an unforced error in Hockenheim, Lewis also made an unforced error here.

2. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I like that Russell has kept his opinion (so far) and not deviated from his stand point. IMO he has a good point about being forced onto the white line where the water was at high speed. Is he completely blameless? No. Neither is Bottas. And his point regarding that Bottas wouldn't have defended this as aggressively as he did to other drivers is valid as well. He usually rolls over.

Only bad point is, I can't see them driving side by side anytime soon. Russell has already shown he's the better of the two in equal machinery, and in tricky conditions has shown he's faster with that turd he's driving vs bottas in that marvel of engineering...!

stavura, sammysaber, 635CSI and 6 others like this.
  3. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Vettel was leading when that happened, but on older tires. Lewis started the race from P14. I don’t really recall Vettel being under inordinate pressure from a charging Lewis when he went off in the stadium section on Lap 52 at 2018 Hockenheim.

https://youtu.be/nU5HG14_1Sk

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lap chart. Vettel left Lewis right. I would say that a 2 second a lap difference certainly makes an argument for coming under pressure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    not qite sure what point you're making here? Was lewis 2 secs a lap faster yes or no? So that would assume Vettel was being advised by his team about the speed differences?

Also the rain started to come in, everyone on slicks. Yesterday it was the opposite, much more predictable conditions (albeit still tricky). Lewis made an error, simple as that.

jpalmito likes this.
  7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    i think that’s correct. He didn’t want to get caught up in the three driver battle and tried to go offline to make the pass. I don’t blame him as Max had cleared them and he wanted to stay in touch, but it was certainly a high risk decision that could have cost him dearly.

well, we’re actually only at race #2 of 23 so the cost may not matter as much. The accident certainly gave him the immediate chance to atone for his error.

sammysaber and Bas like this.
  8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Bottas and Vettel have one thing in common: their capacity for psychic resistance is outdated and nothing can save them anymore.
    Seeing a Williams overtaking this Mercedes is something surreal..

9. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Poor Toto..... drivers of other teams daring to (try to) overtake his brilliant no. 2 driver....... that must be stopped immediately by all means.

stavura and sammysaber like this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Russell only thinking of himself lol. Toto has true cost concerns given new budget reality. Nothing is being stopped but Russell is being told to pass and think smarter.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/bottas-crash-damage-cost-could-cost-mercedes-f1-upgrade-push/6343862/

Bottas crash damage cost could cost Mercedes F1 upgrade push
    By: Luke Smith
    Apr 19, 2021, 5:00 AM
    Toto Wolff says the costs incurred by the damage to Valtteri Bottas’s Formula 1 car following his crash with George Russell at Imola could impact Mercedes upgrades and planned development.

Bottas collided with Williams driver Russell while battling for ninth place in Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, resulting in a big crash that caused the race to be red flagged.

Bottas and Russell were quick to blame each other for causing the crash on the approach to Turn 2, but the stewards deemed it to be a racing incident.

Mercedes team boss Wolff was left to manage a collision between Bottas and Mercedes-linked junior Russell, feeling the latter had “lots to learn”.

But a more immediate issue for Mercedes is the impact the crash damage will have on its development plan for 2021 and the switch to 2022, given the expense incurred by the crash in the first year of F1’s new cost cap.

Asked by Autosport how he would manage the situation, Wolff said it was “absolutely not amusing” for Mercedes, believing it could cost the team planned upgrades amid its battle with Red Bull.

“It’s quite a big shunt,” Wolff said. “Our car is almost a write-off and in a cost-cap environment that is certainly not what we needed, and probably it’s going to limit upgrades that we’re able to do.

“And simply the fact that we ended there by losing it in the wet, because there was no contact, losing it on the wet, and making both cars crash out is not what I expect to see.

11. DF1

Russell needs to stop talking. He's just proving how he was not at all concerned with Bottas physical condition immediately after the impact Russell caused. He's a bit more of a self only centered entitled whiner than I thought he was. Bottas has nothing to answer for George. Im certain taking your call wont be such a large priority overall for Bottas lol.

Fast he clearly is. Not at all ready for the utter political spotlight that comes with Mercedes!!

Russell planning clear-the-air call with Bottas after Imola F1 crash
    By: Luke Smith
    Co-author: Erwin Jaeggi
    Apr 19, 2021, 4:26 AM
    George Russell says he is planning to call Valtteri Bottas in the coming days to clear the air following their Formula 1 crash at Imola on Sunday.
    Williams driver Russell retired from the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix after colliding with Bottas at high-speed on the approach to Turn 2 as they battled over ninth position.

Russell and Bottas blamed each other for causing the crash in the aftermath of the incident, which sparked a red flag and almost wrote off Bottas’s Mercedes car.

Russell said Bottas broke a gentleman’s agreement between the drivers about movements at high-speed - something Bottas denied, who said that he was “clean” and did not change his line.

The stewards deemed the crash to be a racing incident, but did confirm that Bottas’s line heading to the corner was unchanged.

Following the crash, Russell went to the cockpit of Bottas’s car and “asked him if he was trying to kill us both”, having also called him a “****ing prick” on team radio.

Russell said after the stewards’ meeting that he would talk to Bottas about the incident to clear the air in the coming days.

“Valtteri and I will talk afterwards and we will clear the air,” Russell said.

“Obviously in the heat of the moment, there are a lot of emotions, but I’ve got no intentions to hold any grudges or have any bad relationship with any driver on the grid.

“I mean it is in my intentions to clear the air with him. I’m sure we will probably have a phone call this week just to put it behind us and move on.

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes W12, George Russell, Williams FW43B, Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo Racing C41 ,and Mick Schumacher, Haas VF-21

Photo by: Mark Sutton / Motorsport Images

“We’re all racers. We’re all battling for position. And at the moment it’s incredibly disappointing, sour, for all of us. You know, your heart stops for a moment when you crash at over 200 miles an hour. You just don’t know what’s going to happen.

“My anger towards him at the time was more that I thought he put us both in harm’s way and it was an incredibly scary incident to be honest, at that speed.

“Fortunately we both walked away from it with no battle cars. But obviously it could have been very different.”

Russell said in the immediate aftermath of the incident that he did not understand why Bottas was defending in such a fashion for ninth place, adding: “Perhaps if it was another driver, he wouldn’t have.”

Russell is a member of Mercedes’ junior programme and has been tipped as a possible replacement for Bottas in 2022.

Asked about the comment, Russell said: “There is no tension at all between Valtteri and I.

“But obviously you can take that comment as you wish really. I think it was pretty clear how it was intended.

“But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he’s just fighting for absolutely every position. And as I said, he is his right to do so.”

Russell’s suggestion was labelled “bull****” by Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, while Bottas himself said he had “lost my aluminium foil hat somewhere”, calling it “quite a theory."

12. Flávio Silva

Flávio Silva Rookie

Apr 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Flávio Henrique da Silva
    A very good driver but, Hamilton is always so lucky!!!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Fastest lap by HAM is alarming. Almost 1 sec on VER and almost 2 seconds on NOR and the rest.

So much performance in hand—due to better tire wear, engine modes, DRS?

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't know...I know in the last few laps Max had traffic here and there. What lap was fastest lap set in? ~7-8 laps from the end, no? Hamilton may have had DRS and that gap he fell into between the 2 Ferrari's and that may have been enough.

ricksb, jgonzalesm6 and crinoid like this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Top 5 runners set their fastest lap on 60/63, except Norris on lap 63.

jgonzalesm6, crinoid and Bas like this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It may be that Russell damaged his chances of a Mercedes seat in future.

Not so much because of the crash but his outburst following the crash.

Toto Wolff is now mad at him.

ricksb likes this.
  17. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    stavura, Jakuzzi and 635CSI like this.
  18. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Wouldn't Alonso be more likely to ask, will we end up 5th above Aston Martin best case, thanking Vettel for doing xyz to derail what positive strides Aston Martin made for 2021?

19. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have to ask this question: why were all the lap down drivers allowed to gain a lap back before the restart? They were all passed on track during green flag conditions, why does the red flag grant them a lap back? I have not seen this being done for others laps down during other red flags, and there has been many.

And yes, I do not agree with the NASCAR "lucky dog" policy either.

20. DF1

I think Max had no real reason to push at all. Survived tricky conditions and was nice in the lead. Why push and toss victory. Maybe we will know who is actually faster in the next race.

Bas likes this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    When the Red Flag was waved, the lap down drivers had more fuel left and less tyre wear than the leaders.

So before the restart, they did one "neutralised" lap to bring their cars to the same fuel load and tyre wear than the unlapped cars.

That's what I understood anyway.

Anyone wants to comment?

22. DF1

That situation applies to every team in term of finance. Its called 'fiscal' reality. Damaging cars/repairs and chassis are all accounted for. Those costs affect the ability to updgrade it appears. I see a team that is aware of its limited resources with respect to this season and how it affects progress for the new cars in 22.

ricksb likes this.
  23. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

It was an unfair advantage for the lapped cars. By doing a lap at low speeds, they neither burned as much fuel or accumulated tire wear as one would do on a hot lap. This was a clear benefit for Hamilton. It gave him a 90+ second advantage on the cars ahead of him. This FIA love of Hamilton is getting old.

stavura and Bas like this.
  24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Big difference between recovering from a spin and the stewards giving you a 90+ second unlap.

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

“If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”

Bravo Russell.

Shame on Toto. The name of a dog. Perhaps a female.

stavura, jpalmito and Bas like this.