F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 18 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The unlapping rule is a bit weird, because the cars that were two laps down only unlapped once, so they still were one lap down. I don't see the logic: you either unlap everybody or none.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If the cars didn't burn much fuel or nor wore their tyres, they were therefore heavier at the restart, which is a handicap.

I don't think they introduced that with Hamilton in mind, although he benefited from it, but the conspiracy theorists will say different. .

ricksb likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed. LH got lucky not to be beached and keep the engine on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas, paulchua, ricksb and 1 other person like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

sorry but another truth manipulation. LH benefited from the situation that’s absolutely TRUE but the notion that the steward gave him any special treatment is just incorrect. At least 7 other drivers un lapped themselves.
    Call him very very very lucky his teammate crashes but he wasn’t given anything

ricksb and william like this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #430 ingegnere, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Not saying it’s right, but it’s not a new rule and in fact it was used last year at Imola, for example.

I think the idea is (was) that on a rolling restart you get all the back markers out of the way by sending them to the back so the leaders can fight unimpeded.

Pretty sure FIA didn’t have in mind, or considered—or maybe they did—that a car with a huge advantage starts only a few spots back and with half the race left.

Like Damon Hill said at the end of the race, HAM got very lucky. Yes, he drove well and fast but if the race wasn’t red-flagged, he’d not have finished second.

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 4 others like this.
  6. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

How come cars that were 2 laps down didn't get to unlap themselves for the second time?

7. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Being a conspiracy theorist...how about the crash was staged ala Briatori

8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    As noted, they just want them at the back of the field, not to get them the lap back.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, the unlapping rule may be seen as unfair, but so is a safety car period that negates all the advantage the leader has build up.

It artbitrarily "bunches" the field, and cancels all the hard work done by who's ahead, whilst giving new opportunites to those behind.

I always cringe when they send a safety car out, and it's often not necessary.

The incident zone could be neutralised, and not affect the rest of the circuit, but it adds to the show, I know.

kes7u likes this.
  10. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    I suggest you have a look at the 2017 Monaco GP. Safety car was out after Wehrlein's crash, lapped cars were allowed to unlap themselves and Ericsson immediately put his car in the wall.
    In other words, this is not a new or unique thing.

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You can't avoid it: anything that involves Hamilton comes under scrutiny.

ktu likes this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 -- https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/explained-why-hamilton-didnt-break-f1s-rules-for-reversing-on-track/6344972/

The reasons are actually quite simple.

Article 28.3 of F1’s sporting regulations states: “At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power.”

When a car is on track, though, there is nothing specific in the regulations that states cars cannot be driven in reverse gear.

In fact, the reason that it is mandatory for F1 cars to have a reverse gear is because it guarantees drivers have an ability to move themselves backwards if needed to recover from an incident.

The only requirement on a driver if he is reversing is for it be done in a safe manner.

Article 27.3 of the Sporting Regulations states: “Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage.”

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  13. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    it also makes it a bit more interesting for the viewers. Without Lewis chasing for 2nd, it would have been a fairly uninteresting race after the accident.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    maybe for you, not for us Ferrari fans..oh, i forgot this is now mercchat!

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 2 others like this.
  15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I don’t think he was too pleased about the crash either.

And he knows the reason why out newest diva started squawking. To justify his poor race-craft and place blame on the seat he’s trying to acquire. Not an ulterior motive, THE motive. Toto covered it with “I’ve known VB for 5 years and I know he’s not out to prove anything”. Guess he knows who was.

If there’s a gap, sure, go for it, but if you committed and screwed up, and almost killed yourself and the guy beside you, the best thing to say would be “I thought the gap was there but it wasn’t and I’m sorry to both teams”.

It wasn’t red mist in this instance, it was ambition.

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Max Verstappen reversed his car at Monaco 2018 in St. Devote during FP1 and he didn't get penalized. Vettel had to avoid Max and cut the turn.

There is no penalty that I have found that penalizes a driver for reversing onto the track.....regardless if its FP, Qualifying or Race.

DF1 likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Give it a rest man.

The events highlighted the stupidity of the entertainment rules put in place—including DRS—and like the whole world has very plainly, obviously and correctly concluded... HAM got a lucky break. Period.

The one who should be complaining is Leclerc, who went from a possible 2nd at a Ferrari home race to 4th, but you don’t hear him whining like you.

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 2 others like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Isobel, paulchua, ricksb and 2 others like this.
  19. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are other ways to reorganize the field during a red flag event, giving them a lap back creates a "lasting advantage" which is not allowed by the rules.

IMO, this rule needs to be revisited by F1.

20. DF1

Russell's only responsibility is and has been - Head down, drive, learn, get results as best one can in a less than optimum car and show he is Mercedes top team material. Thats all. He will learn from this but his Vettel-esque tendancy is glaring in terms of reaction/temper. Sorry that is currently losing position. Speed with savvy is always a winner.

In terms of driver role model there are good one's. LH has a nice one to follow in terms of mistakes. Max has matured. He can learn from both and excel and really live his potential if and when promoted.
    I think Norris is a better replacement from Bottas at the moment if one had to choose for next year.

Isobel, paulchua, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

I don’t make the rules and he wants 2 lap down was he?
    Take it to the FIA.

22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Russell is an out-spoken guy, as we learned during the Red Bull/Alex Albon issue last year, when he suggested RBR were intentionally sabotaging Alex's races. I can accept some people need to express what they feel they need to say but a) what you are feeling MAY actually be incorrect and b) filter your comments so that you allow for the possibility you may be incorrect. When you start making decisive statements about someone else's motives, you can come off far the worse for doing so.

Bas likes this.
  23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It was a safety car deployment that then went to race restart. Safety car start also...safety car always results in resetting the grid with everyone on the same lap. Actually, I think the only place where this is not true is with the yellow caution flags and Virtual Safety Car.

24. DF1

He has a right to speak. Savvy and mannered will do better for him, without seeming harsh or poorly thought. Laundry is best cleaned internally as most teams Communication Director's will advise. We like this, but his timing and taste were not well thought. As I said earlier in a post, drive, drive well and improve is all he needs to be doing currently. He represents a world-wide brand and market even at Williams. That comes with a price on speech. We know this is true, and sanitized but its reality.

ricksb likes this.
  25. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Cooler head....end of conversation. Always own your role in any mishap...avoid trying to speak to the intentions of others.