F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 19 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think part of the problem is that a safety car comes out once there is an incident at a specific location on the circuit. The incident has no relevance to running order...so the choice is a) maintain the grid based on how cars lined up when the Safety Car is deployed or b) reset the grid based on running order so that the race leader isn't potentially running in the middle of the pack on restart. In that case, they have the lapped cars move to the back of the grid by un-lapping themselves.

To clarify, if Verstappen is leading the race, but at the time of the Safety Car he is 9th in the queue, do you leave him there or do you reset the grid? After reviewing all of the options, the FIA felt it a more clean process to maintain the running order and reset the grid.

kes7u likes this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #452 ricksb, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    I've seen a lot of this being expressed. So, the suggestion is that a) in the second race of the season where Hamilton is leading the wdc (with 21 races left), b) following LH's off-track incident, Wolf ordered Russell to swerve onto the grass, collecting Bottas along the way at close to 200mph in the c) very Tamburello section where Ayrton Senna lost his life in 1994? EDIT: d) allowing Hamilton to un-lap himself into 9th place so that he can finish 2nd.

Do I have that correct?

stavura, jpalmito, Senna1994 and 4 others like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U do! All make perfect sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Everyone is sent to the pits during a red flag event anyway, have them report to their pit boxes instead of lining them up on pit road and moving all their gear to the cars. Use timing and scoring to record their position at the time of the safety car deployment. Reassemble them in the same order, leader leads the field. If the red flag had not come out, faster cars would have had to pass the slower/lapped ones anyway. The time deltas would get removed, but the laps ran would stay the same, lapped vehicles would stay lapped.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    As I said, the FIA felt the best option was to reset the grid based on current running order and to un-lap lapped vehicles. That was their solution to the question of how to situate cars following an on-circuit incident. Remember, this is based on Safety Car running, not red flag. I think in this case, the safety car was deployed prior to the red flag. The red flag stop/restart is an actual grid restart, iirc, so the treatment may be entirely different.

6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Sounds to me like Russell got Toto-ld off a little.

stavura, furoni, Bas and 3 others like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He was reminded he is an employee and replaceable. Easily in fact.

One name - Lando Norris. Fast, savvy, likeable and displays no ego like Russell did yesterday. A nice fast face that George should be aware of is Norris. There is nothing forcing Mercedes to promote Russell. Remember Ocon.

Terra and Isobel like this.
  8. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I understand that this is the decision that the FIA makes, and it is OK, but I believe not preferrable.

I don't see why they don't just line up the grid based on positioning at the exact time the yellow or red flag was deployed. I mean, they would have had to pass the cars had the flag not occured, so why not force them to make the passes after the flag expires? Seems artificial to reposition the cars based on running order.

Kevin

ricksb likes this.
  9. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    So in the end Russell also gave way to political correctness. Not only most races are boring, the racers too....
    Nothing wrong with having an outspoken opinion.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Russell must have considered his career and came to his senses.

"A moment of shame is quickly forgotten" used to tell me my granma to make me admit my mistakes .

But I still think Bottas initiated the incident, although Russell was maybe careless insisting on passing.

11. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like we have both been watching F1 for some time and understand the rules, I am just exploring new alternatives here. I do not think it is fair to give any drivers in any racing series "free" laps, regardless of the circumstances. We have plenty of technology to find a new solution. They can keep existing time deltas during VSC, solving this is doable.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Vettel blaming the stewards for him being a POS now. Seems like VET's poor performance is everything but him.....

DF1 and ingegnere like this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    In Vettel’s case I think he’s trying to ingratiate himself to his team owner by piling on the FIA. This after said team owner forced his team principal to put out the cringeworthy declaration about suing the FUA and go on TV to do the same.

DF1, paulchua and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Good on him. Reads like he's apologizing for the helmet slap and his comments about Bottas' lack of performance after the race (what is he doing racing an Aston and a Wiliams when he's in a merc). He's not taking blame for the crash, as well he shouldn't!
    +1 sounds quite implausible. Better to shunt at Tosa if you're going to do it intentionally... Lewis simply got extremely lucky after a very costly mistake.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely! IMO he went from a certain P2 to 4th. He was 40 seconds ahead of Norris at the time of the accident. 40! The Ferrari may not be quite all that in the dry, but Leclerc's skills showed true once again when it was changing conditions. A performance gone unnoticed by most of us I would think. And just about anyone, given that he wasn't even in the top 3 of ''driver of the day'' award thing.

stavura, JL350, Jeronimo GTO and 8 others like this.
  17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    one certainty any given weekend is that Charles will wring the neck of that Ferrari and push it up the grid. As much as luck favored Hamilton yesterday, it punished Leclerc. We know that’s how safety cars work though...but it tends to balance out over time (unless you’re Maldonado, Grosjean or Mazepin...)

Fantastic driver regardless...among the top3, imo.

stavura, kes7u, 375+ and 6 others like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Maldonado and Grosjean rarely benefitted because they where normally the cause of said safety car:p

stavura, furoni, Jeronimo GTO and 6 others like this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    A looooong way from China 2007. He learned. :)

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The lapped cars are not allowed to pass the safety car until the safety period is about to end.
    Since most tracks are 1:30 to 1:50 seconds per lap, the released cars would have to travel at faster than qualifying pace to get to the back of the grid before the safety car pulls in.
    But if there are 2 safety cars in rapid succession, then it is possible to make up 2 laps. Otherwise, not so easy.

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Spot on as usual Rick.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Leclerc is driving what looks like the 4th best car on the grid (behind Red Bull, Mercedes and McLaren), so his performance has to be assessed in that context.
    We don't hear much about Leclerc; the spotlight is on Verstappen and Hamilton, but he could be among the best 3 drivers of the moment.
    It's all speculation, since he doesn't have yet the winning car he deserves under him.
    Let's hope Ferrari will provide that in 2022, or Leclerc will have to look for another team.

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Based on RIC performance and the fact that both Ferraris caught NOR but couldn’t pass because 1/ he mugged Leclerc at the re-start with his (S) tires and Leclerc wasn’t aware of the restart apparently due to no radio 2/ Ferrari went with more of a high drag wet set-up so too slow to pass, I would not say Ferrari are behind McLaren.

If the argument is used that the only reason Ferrari is close to the front is that Leclerc is making the difference then I would argue that based on the fact that their respective supporters think HAM and VER are driving Gods, well then the Merc and RBR are not great cars either and the only reason they’re so fast is the talent of their respective lead drivers.

You can’t argue one way for Leclerc and another for the others unless you believe the Ferrari is no faster than the Haas in which case Leclerc is the absolute best driver out there.

If you look at the fastest laps yesterday, NOR and others behind were all within a tenth or more. Only HAM and VER were clearly faster—so, car or drivers?

stavura, 375+, crinoid and 1 other person like this.
  24. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Russell probably messed up his chances of driving for Mercedes I think, they would be better off with Lando, or even Ricciardo of Sainz if the need to replace one of their drivers arises. Consistency wins championships, Russell's temper is a risk more than an asset.

Comparison with his peers:

Norris: 39 races, 158 points, 2 podiums
    Albon (relegated from F1): 38 races, 197 points, 2 podiums
    Russell: 39 races, 3 points

If you argue he stays at Williams like a good boi to get the Mercedes seat later on, I'd say that's a gamble on his part not worth taking. He is now in the position to lose much more (by ruining Mercedes') than gain (what's he going to learn by outqualifying Latifi once again?)

Max has fully matured into champion-winning material! Still waiting for that race with both Mercedes and Red Bulls in contention though, maybe next time

25. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee