365 GT 2+2 window slipping | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 window slipping

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JP365, Apr 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #1 JP365, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login So before I open up the other door, I thought I'd ask first. The driver's side window keeps slipping and will not go up. The cable is attached and is not damaged. The motor operates and the cable runs through the entire cycle. However, the cable does not "grab" in the mounting bracket, it just runs through it. Are there supposed to be clips or set screws to hold the cable in place?
    Here are the pictures.

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Attached is a poor copy from FAF of the 330 GTC window parts list from Pf. The cable on the motor (32) is not shown in its final configuration over the pullies at the top and bottom. Note part 26 that attaches to the bottom of the glass. There are two clips at each end which tightly engage the cable to make the glass go up and down as the motor operates. If these clip are not tight, the cable will slip and the glass will not move.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks Bill, my connector goes through the window and the cable runs through the connector. I’m not sure how a clip would be attached. Any ideas? I looked at my copy of the PF book and couldn’t figure it out either. On an unrelated plus side, Skip said my wheel should be done this week so I can put the Cromodoras on the car and send the borranis out. Thanks for the recommendation.

wmuno likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'm not familiar with QM setup per se, but your images seem to suggest the round (silver looking) washer is a two-piece metal grommet going through a hole in the glass itself and slip or screw on to each other from opposite sides of the glass and the cable runs through a small hole in (the middle of) one of these grommet halves.

If so, the cable also probably runs vertically through the small threaded hole visible in the middle of the grommet facing us (the viewers) in your last photo and if so, that threaded hole is likely for a small bolt or a screw to be driven against the cable to lock it in position after adjustment.

And if I’m correct, the bolt or screw is missing, hence the slipping cable.

Please see attach quick drawing I just made to illustrate my point.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As for Bill’s parts manual image, I believe the class support and operational concept is different than that in John car/pictures.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:
    P.S. If my assessment/suspicion for missing bolt/screw is correct, you might consider using a short (allen drive) set screw to avoid any potential interference from the head of a bolt or screw with something else inside the door or lift mechanism.

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks. I think the screws fell out as well. I am going to take off the other door panel to confirm.

8. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I agree your power windows are different from the GTC. TTR seems to have the solution that a bolt or screw is missing from the part that goes through the glass. The Pf parts diagrams often omit a lot of the hardware. It would be wise to check the other window that works to determine what hardware is missing from the window you need to repair.

9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Hopefully I'll have a few minutes tomorrow. I'll post pics so people will have a reference point in the future. Let's hope it as simple as a pair of missing screws.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How did this turned out or not resolved yet ?

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Life intervened so I haven’t gotten back to it. I need to take apart the other side to compare. Hopefully by this weekend. Either way I will post pictures of the other side for comparison.

TTR likes this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Did you had a chance to sort this out yet ?
    Just curious.

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Not yet. Got busy at work. I’m taking a half day tomorrow, so hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

TTR likes this.
  14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Qavion likes this.
  15. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So after several hours comparing both doors and the PF body book, I think that each window had either 2 or 4 rubber rings that were placed around the hole in the window before the metal pieces were installed. Still haven’t figured out how to remove the metal pieces yet. On the outside edge of the glass the is a 90 degree bracket with a pin that goes through and connects to two metal “pulleys.” At least that’s what the translation is for Puleggia scorrimento fune alzacristallo. I cut several pieces of thin plastic to see what happens and after putting in three slices on each Puleggia scorrimento fune alzacristallo, the window works.

16. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Final update. Thanks to local Ferrari enthusiast extraordinaire Hugh, I now know the proper way to fix a slipping window. Put the window all the way up and make sure the cable and window winder are all the way up as well. Use a 10mm box end wrench, and carefully slide your hand behind the glass, loosen the bolt 3-4 turns, slip new rubber “shims” between the glass and the metal fittings, and then tighten. I used bubble textured shelf liner for the shims.