BBi gearshift shaft bushing/seal | FerrariChat

BBi gearshift shaft bushing/seal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by johnaz, Apr 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    My gearshift seal is leaking from rubber boot when sitting and wonder how it is to change out?
    Need any special tools to remove and replace that seal? Just a seal, or?
    Thanks for advice.
    John

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try a search on "Boxer shift shaft seal" or "shift shaft seal" (which will pick up the similar TR, too) in this section. Not easy, but not super hard, and no special tools required IIRC, but removing engine mount(s) and a fair bit of disassembly required -- my off-the-cuff recollection of the time required posted by others is something like 8~10 hours of work.

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
  4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    When I did the EO service, I neglected those seals. They - of course- leaked when it went back together ~~~> Oops! The O-ring seal was hard and cracked! Fortunately, not too terrible to correct.

You may be done with the job by now, but I'm sure you figured out there is an excellent access panel which allows you a straight shot to the side of the gearbox to do the job. It was very straight forward w no surprises. The access through the GB side opening (IIRC) gives excellent opportunity to perfectly align shift linkage. Like any job on a Ferrari. Take your time.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this O-ring is a metric ring, not inch size. so try to get a metric ring because inch size ring never will match right

6. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Thank you all for the info, does appear not too difficult and no engine out to do it.
    Thanks,
    John