812 VS Rumors | Page 266 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    HOLY S#IT! I remember when the TDF debuted and it looked...
    ”awkward” in some regards. The new details sitting on the F12 shape didn’t quite mesh...initially. Then after a few weeks it all started to come together and before long my eyes looked upon the TDF more favorably than the F12....and the 812 that followed it.

No such “adjustment period” this time around. This new special hit my eyes the right way immediately. The front end is gorgeous. The revised rear (spoiler, diffuser, exhaust and all the venting that goes with it) is just magnificent! This beast looks like a blood sibling to the SF90 and thats a good thing since the Stradale has become one of my favorite Ferrari designs.

Eagerly awaiting May 5th so we can learn what to call this lovely monster. And see it in action.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

stavura, TheF1BOB, mofatmi9 and 9 others like this.
  2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    "A Ferrari is like a beautiful girl that makes you fall in love at first sight..." - Luca Cordero di Montezemolo

Sadly, at first glance, I'm not in love.

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    “...and a new exhaust terminal are just some of the technical solutions that allow it to reach unexplored performance heights.”

So, still something to discover about the exhaust.

“The rear window is made up of a monolithic aluminum structure whose innovative vortex generators improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the car; this solution produces a continuous back effect that emphasizes the sculptural form of the car.”

No scoops then on the the rear hatch, confirmed. So, nothing in the trunk then, ha-ha.

4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The best exterior design change is the line that extends from the rear of the front wheel through the door through the rear wheel arch to the apex of the spoiler. A fantastic line. Best viewed in side profile. Some old, some new, definitely all business.

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Some initial thoughts...

• With this VS coupe they’ve simply corrected major styling issues with the 812SF. This is good.
    • If the sketches of the open top VS version are accurate and the B pillars are like the SF90 then this will dial back some of the 812SF styling corrections of the VS rear fenders as this will reduce their presence compared to the coupe
    • The VS styling that adds the most character to the car is the rear cover where the glass would normally may be and this was essentially by accidental necessity because of the 812SF rear glass issues. LOL From the leaked VS pic of this area what looked like a black section in the lower rear part of the yellow center stripe I thought they would take the air and channel it under the rear wing out of that rear horizontal open slat. Nope.
    • General reaction: I like it. It looks good. Really this is no crowning achievement because although the 812SF had some botched details it’s bone structure is so much to work with how couldn’t they make at least a good looking car. Anything less is catastrophic failure for Ferrari Centro Stilo.
    • There is really almost nothing we haven’t seen before on other models and most we’ve seen on recent models. Although very cool, there’s no ground breaking design here. For someone like me, to quote Patrick Bateman “it’s more satisfying in a narrower way”. Ferrari Centro Stilo is just getting the job done.

PS: I still think there’s a chance it won’t be called the GTO...

6. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Safe to say Black will be the best colour.

Stevenb likes this.
  7. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    This is TOTALLY GOO!! I LOVE IT! It’s aggressive , purposeful and has a lot going on - in a v good way in my opinion .
    I don’t think it looks aftermarket at all - it looks like a race car for the road - like it’s supposed to! I’m in love .... actually , I’m in lust ...
    This is a massive change from the beautiful soft lines of the SF- a big departure but I think an awesome one ...... Forza Ferrari .... I feel v v lucky indeed ....it’ll take quite some time to fully drink in the visual overload but it’s a winner in my eyes - big time ! 10000000 X GOO! Yup smitten with this ...

stavura, Bundy, Shack and 12 others like this.
  8. Doktor Evil

Doktor Evil Rookie

Apr 22, 2011
    Ferrari aren’t using decals - they’re standard Pirelli P-Zeros - they are available in multiple colours and have been around for a couple of years I think. ....they just don’t make them in many sizes.

https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/tyres-in-every-colour

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F140C, Maggio23 and ingegnere like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very nice. They really maximized the intent of the 812. In fact it’s really what the 812 should have been.

Surprised they also modified the front fenders—didn’t think they would—they didn’t on the TdF. So, in effect, the only panels not changed from the regular 812 are the doors and maybe the roof.

F140C, jpalmito, SAT4RE and 2 others like this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Quite over the top for my taste, but still I think it's the best looking of the F12 saga, specially the convertible.

Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yeah, I’ve never seen a Corvette look like that or that good. Much more sophistication and subtlety than any ‘vette.

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well I love/hate this car. Livery here is awful but love many of the details while others are just plain stupid.

Have to wait to see the car in person which probably won't happen until I do my Tailor Made appointment for it supposedly at the end of the year.

Bundy and crinoid like this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Regarding the engine, they matched the specific output of the LaFerrari (128 CV/litre).

dcmetro likes this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m very happy you’ll be getting one Jag!
    Can’t wait to see your pix, and some day when I’m in ol’ Blighty Olivier and I’ll drop by for a pint and some goo. :)

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Comparing the 812VS side by side to the F12 TDF shows the 812VS weaknesses in a stark and blatant way. The organic shape of the F12 with every detail having maximum impact.

I think I see what you mean however I may articulate it slightly differently. I have felt that the 812 always lost some depth to its design. It’s styling would make a great Viper however not a great Ferrari. The FCS’s 812SF looks like a car. The F12 TDF looks like a brilliant sculpture.

Ferrari knows what they need to do and I suspect they did with the Roma because it does NOT have the whiff of Ferrari Centro Stilo...

sjp and Boots like this.
  16. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    The tires - I get some of the reactions - but it just says F1 "medium compound" tires to me. So not offended by it.

Doktor Evil and perrinnation like this.
  17. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    That is why getting an allocation is so great. So you don’t have to buy an ugly spec and instead remove all this amusement park nonsense. No stripe, black tyres, dark grey or blue paint and we are in.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    F140C, of2worlds and crinoid like this.
  19. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    For me, this new version of the 812 and the TDF both improve on the looks of their base cars, and in both cases, in areas where I had the most issues. What I find interesting about that is the Ferrari stylists also, apparently, saw a need for improvement (stylistically) in the same areas, which makes me wonder why they didn't do it in the first place. That's what makes it easy to say, again for me and a few others, this is how the 812 or F12 should have been. Ferrari seems to, in these two cases, have known exactly what bugged me about the original design and then went about fixing it (because they certainly care about what I think! Ha!).

20. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    It certainly doesn't have a lot more power. The engine seems like a small evolution from the current one. So curious to see what the next generation of V12 will look like in comparison.

Overall I like it and would order one but I don't qualify so ...

ewright and of2worlds like this.
  21. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I think most of the last few models over the years (post Luca) have had some challenging styling choices for many people, ESPECIALLY on this site. But remarkably (in my eyes) they all come together to become good looking if not great looking cars.

Even the Roma (which is as clean and elegant as any modern Ferrari could possibly be) has had its fair share of criticism. “It looks like an Aston!” LOL! Well, yeah. In very general terms it does.

This new 812 Special made me gasp out loud. I loved it right off the bat.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

22. pcht5

pcht5 Karting

Jan 31, 2009
    Asia
    Full Name:
    PCHT 5
    There was no mention of the weight though.

23. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    Was doubtful when I first saw the renderings and leaked images. However, must say that especially the front turned out very nicely. Slightly skeptical on the exhaust tips but hey we’ll have to get used to it. Personally reacted better seeing this than seeing the F12TDF for the first time; although now I love the TDF.

Yes, the F12TDF was more elegant. As was the F12 Berlinetta more elegant compared to the 812SF. Pininfarina design made the F12B more relatable to the historic classics.

Either way it all comes down to the spec. This launch spec is completely disgusting and reminds of a Lamborghini amusement park instead of a V12 Track Focused Berlinetta... Delete the stripes, the yellow cals & the yellow tires and everything is okay!

24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    I never liked the 812 design. I will say this car helps some. The rear seems slightly elongated and that diving spoiler line with the contrasting rear haunches really ties in the side aero better than a standard 812 which always looked like a wet towel being wrung out.

The lack of rear window while looking very cool will no doubt make the cabin feel even more like a cave.

The yellow tire markings, while surely will be a big hit for the hip hop crowd, actually don't look as ostentatious after a while.

All the side by side comparisons to the TDF are unfair because the TDF shown has blacked out rims and the 812VS has proper rims.

All in all I like it. Yes it looks slightly aftermarket tuned but nothing crazy like Novitec does. And it is after all a tuned 812 so there!

25. OneD

OneD Karting

Mar 18, 2012
    What a stunning machine ! Every bit shouts "i'm the last of a long line of legends, i'm the last of my breed, put me on a track, drive me as intended by Enzo".
    You want a classy Ferrari, there's plenty to choose (812, GTC4, Roma). You want the best front engine track toy, you've got this Bad Mother F*****.

IMHO its look calls for a name like 812XX Stradale !