430 - New Owner | FerrariChat

430 New Owner

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430Bill, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    After a bunch or research, I finally purchased my first Ferrari

2005 F430 Spider
    one owner
    6,500 miles
    Rossa Corsa / Beige / Daytona power seats with black piping
    F1, yellow tach, red calipers
    Scuderia shields, black carpet, black dash, aluminum trim
    No sticky buttons (those were replaced by original owner for $1800 at dealer)
    Hi-Fi audio with subwofer
    Lots of original documentation and Ferrari service records, original tires, mint condition
    Tool box, flashlight, owners manuals, car cover, tire pump
    Kept in storage and paint, interior, engine in excellent condition
    Even the radio sounds pretty good (insert funny face icon here)
    There is 95% clutch left and no major issues according to the PPI - other than change 16 year old tires

Question
    I can't find the window sticker, but the car appears to come from Plano, Texas Ferrari
    Does anyone know how to get a window sticker or build sheet?

I am getting new tires
    Is there any value to a collector to have the original 2005 Bridgestone tires with only 6k miles?

I am doing a service with fluid changes and basic things to get her ready

PS - I am a classic Corvette guy that has had several NCRS top flight cars and this will be my first Italian car

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congrats! Sounds like a nice ride, enjoy!!

I doubt anyone would want 2005 tires, even a collector.

Mbutner, F430Bill and axlesofevil like this.
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The tires aren’t collectible, dump them and buy a new set of tires. I recommend Pilot Sport 4S tires. A good upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats. Pics?

F430Bill likes this.
  5. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, I just ordered those today

lewishou and unreelviper like this.
  6. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    Congrats

Enjoy the ride!!!!!

F430Bill likes this.
  7. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Does anyone know how to get a window sticker or build sheet?

What about paint protection film or ceramic coating?

What about scrape armor for the front bumper?

I know there are lots of opinions, but what is the smart thing to do that is reasonably priced.

Film just the front of the car?
    Ceramic the rest?
    Leave it alone?

The current paint is super nice with some small paint chips located in the front bumper and two 4 inch long road rash scrapes under the front right and left sides of the bumper (you literally have to look under the car to see this as the clearance is 4-5 inched and obviously our roads have issues with this low clearance.

In other words, this is a car I want to drive and enjoy, but it is a 16 year old car and is not a million dollar car.

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I would put film on the front after having the rock chips taken care of. They should also do the mirrors, the leading edges of the rear lower intakes and the rear of the front wheels and rear wheels with a good portion of the rear bumper area behind the wheels (they don't have to extend to the rear part of the bumper). This is where the factory put PPF, except the factory didn't do a full hood/bonnet. You should do the full hood/bonnet, the line across the middle that get's created by the factory PPF is terrible.

As for scrape armor. If you're lucky you could buy the Fabspeed carbon fiber scrape guards. They may cover the scratched underneath the bumper. I was lucky it did for me, but when I was replacing the PPF there was some pulled clear on the bumper so I had it resprayed and fixed so now I don't have the actual carbon fiber parts of the Fabspeed scrape guards on, but I did put the metal scrape stop bolts from the Fabspeed kit on the bumper that came with their scrape guard kit. The hope is that you would hit these oversized metal bolts things first and it would push up the bumper keeping you from scrapping the paint. Since my carbon scrape guard pieces were not messed up after almost a year, there is hope this may work. If not I can always put the carbon pieces back on.

I'll try to take a picture later today of these metal parts installed so you can see what I mean.

As for ceramic coating, did that also when I had the PPF done. It seems pretty amazing, like a non-stick frying pan. Prep for this is super important as it is not like putting wax on your car. The paint must be corrected first and all rock chips repaired first.

Cheers,
    Corey

Themaven likes this.
  9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The closest you'll get is if you can persuade the local main dealer service department to print you the MODIS report

As an aside its always worth looking as many many questions have been asked and answered before

10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    May not be exactly what you are looking for, but if you register your car with Ferrari, you will have access to its original build information online.

https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/owner-reg

Knowing this information, you can then make your own Monroney sheet based on templates available through members on this forum.

Kevin

Mbutner and FerRrari like this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

F430Bill likes this.
  12. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I had PPF on my Lotus. It got slightly rough and ruined the paint when it was removed to change.I wondered why it was there if it eventually damaged the paint while stopping small nicks.

kes7u likes this.
  13. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    skid plates are a must as 430 have long overhangs, too easy to scrape even at stock height. It also hides the scratches that you have on the underside so it's a bonus

If you just cruise around or do casual weekend cruises, front end PPF is a minimum to avoid rock chips, parking bumpers or highway debris etc. If you track or do heavy canyon, ppf the whole car (but that's double the cost). I would do ceramic coating if u only have front end ppf (makes car wash a breeze and less likely for crap to stick to the paint and risk swirls from scraping it off), for whole body it's optional u can just apply wax by yourself or diy ceramic coats

if it's all original paint, or a decent repaint job, and the installer knows what they are doing the paint shouldnt come off. I have removed 4 ppfs now and no issue even for cars over 15 years old with 8 year old ppfs

F430Bill likes this.
  14. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks...I just called them and they are OUT OF STOCK.....grrrrrr. they look awesome.

Scrape armor is an option, but you have to drill multiple holes in the bumper and I prefer not to do that.

I think I will get a full car Ceramic Wax treatment and pass on the PPF as I have not had issues in the past with my other classic cars. I plan on weekend or evening drives, not rush hour, but who knows as there are some really bad drivers in South Florida. The paint is original and looks fantastic, I assume the ceramic will make it look even better.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Beautiful car congratulations and welcome to the 05 430 club!

ceramic coating is a no brainer but do your research as there are many types.

the front bumper does pick up pits and chips without PPF. But PPF has its drawbacks as mentioned above, also a well detailed ceramic coated paint will always pop much more than one with PPF.

In countries less obsessed than the US with original paint, many of us go without PPF and just get a good paint shop to redo our bumpers every few years. Having said that my 575 has PPF as outlined by Corey above and it looks good. But not as good as my ceramic coated 430, chips notwithstanding. It’s a subjective choice.

F430Bill likes this.
  16. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This is the exact answer and explanation I need.

As a classic corvette guy, I would NEVER put a PPF on my car, but with the Ferrari I see this is acceptable and the Ceramic offers me what I want - awesome shine and low maintenance.

I guess if I bought a new F8 or daily driver, I would go for PPF, but my F430 is 16 years old and will be weekends and evening cruises away from traffic.

My main concern is to make sure the car is mechanically safe to drive and that I do not do anything that will significantly lower the value or desirability such as swap out the factory items for lots of after market stuff. I prefer to keep the car close to what Ferrari designed and be smart with my ownership. The odds are that I will own the car 3-5 years and want to have fun with the car and maintain as much resale value possible. Again, I am a classic Corvette guy that has gone thru many NCRS judging events and can only relate to those standards as I am learning how to care for my Italian beauty.

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #17 CoreyNJ, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    I would never own a sports car without front PPF. The front takes way too many hits and Ferrari has soft paint. The only reason my old PPF pulled some clear on the bumper was its age. It was installed on the car when it was new so it was 11 years old. if it would have been replaced every 5 years as recommended it shouldn't have done any damage. Newer PPF is also self healing to a point so it keeps things looking good for a long time.

Cheers,
    Corey

F430Bill likes this.
  18. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Fabspeed carbon fiber scrape guards are out of stock for F430

Does anyone know about Scrape Armor?

Unfortunately, Scrape Armor needs to drill holes in the bumper where Fabspeed does not

19. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I’d wait for the Fabspeed to come back into stock. It’s more than the carbon fiber pieces. The machined oversized metal bolts they provide take most of the hits.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F430Bill likes this.
  20. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Agreed.

I called Fabspeed again and was happy to hear they should be available in May, so I placed a pre-order and hope to get them soon. I guess covid has screwed up the supply chain.

21. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    Congrats on your purchase! Great looking car.
    I hope I will be the next new 430 owner on this forum :)

F430Bill likes this.
  22. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I had entire car ppf'd, all paintwork corrected and ceramic coating when done. It's important to use reputable and skilled detailers to ensure seemless install and proper protection to paintwork. You also should bring car in for yearly decon to maintain ppf longevity

I also cleaned and repaired bolster wear, installed scud inc F1 relay, installed lithium battery, refinished some interior bits, had carbon polished and put on fresh pilot sport 4s tyres. Ball joints and engine mounts done over past 2 services. This car might be 17 years old, but it looks and performs better now then when it left the factory.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    check ur direct messages

24. F430Bill

F430Bill Karting

Apr 21, 2021
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What is a scud f1 relay?

25. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Company in Switzerland makes a electronic relay that replaces the mechanical relay for F1 system. It optimizes hydraulic system for optimal shifts as well as provides monitoring of hydraulic system health