Super nice window fix!! | FerrariChat

Super nice window fix!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  2. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
  3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #3 Brian Harper, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    I just recently made my own window boosters, but I used SPDT relays and ran a hot wire from the fuse box. It makes a huge difference. I think the referenced system would certainly help as it shortens one of the wiring runs substantially, but it wasn't a big deal to run power to the doors. Hardest part was finding matching blue wire to blend with the original wiring harness.

It never would have occurred to me to dunk the whole thing in Plasti-dip. It still doesn't.

Attached Files:

4. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    All work can be skipped with the RCM. Plug and play :)

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, I am going with the two relay setup per door and bringing a solid 12V into the door from a breaker protected battery tap.

The reason for two relays it is will eliminate the window switch failures, as the window switch will only see very low current vs the full amperage.

Doug

smg2 likes this.
  6. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Doug this is the job of the RCM. It does exactly what you're planning on doing without adding 2 relays and rewiring everything... Simple and clean install.

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    So, tell me what that RCM thing is.The one gizmo (window accelerator) I saw that just "plugged in", was basically an enhanced ground via some relay, but all the motor current still went thru the switches, which will still burn out the switches..

Doug

8. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The RCM is a forward reverse relay module. So.... it replaces the 2 relays that you want to use to accomplish what this relay module will do. Take the power wire out of the switch and feed the relay. Remove the 2 wires from the switch to the motor and connect them to the devise. Connect the the 2 control wires to the switch (where you removed the 2 wires going to the motor) ground it, and it's all done.

9. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Is this a better solution than the window boosters I've seen for sale?

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Sounds like a split the difference option. Less hassle then wiring in direct voltage to the motor, but relies on the existing wiring that still suffers from long run voltage drop. Since the new unit still grounds at the switch.
    Prefer the dual relay option, low voltage switch with battery power direct to motor under higher gauge wire and direct ground. But it does require more work.
    Current load of the window motors is fairly high ~10amps, that's why I don't like the oem layout.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I posted this video in the technical thread. Not to ague one way or the other, but I have never understood the slow window problem. The video shows window operation in mt 85 GTB QV which has all original wiring, switches and fuse holders. 2 or 3 seconds up or down. The only window problem I have had in 36 years is hardened grease int he motor.

Makes me wonder if there is something different between the GTB and GTS causes the problem, like the window frame differences and alignment.

12. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Man I wish mine went up and down that fast :/