812 VS Rumors | Page 275 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #6852 gzachary, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    I guessed last August 2020 that it would be called Competizione. Not asking for credit if it will be true. Just talking about my methodology here. All I did was look for the racing editions of variants of the 250 that were not called GTO or had not raced in the TdF. And then the follow ups in the 275 and 365 had limited race versions. And then that was the last of that "era" which wasn't really an era. It was just the pre-80s era. I figured this was the end of an era as well.

Interestingly, that "end of an era" which ended with the 365 model introduced power steering just like this 812 introduces a new type of steering.

My post #2425.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/812-vs-rumors.569313/page-97#post-147419583

A couple of us guessed the same if I remember correctly.

Now lets see if it really will be called Competizione. Which I will love. And have been hoping for!

stavura, Picchu88, jo_ker and 4 others like this.
  2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahahaah 812 GALBANI*

*Famous mozzarella brand in France

456-boy and Frenzisko like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Interesting point. I know from personal experience, shortening the gears in the 765LT completely transformed that car.

jo_ker likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Do we know the details on how much weight was shed?

5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I think the future will be very good to this car, much like the 599 GTO and the F12tdf have aged. Ferrari accomplished something important with this highly aggressive and somewhat unique design IMO.

I’m not disappointed per se by a 4% bump in output given what many understood to be the limits of this V12 platform. However, it will be important that Ferrari demonstrates something spectacular when it comes to the driving experience...which we all have yet to learn.

I’m still very interested in the missing piece of the puzzle with respect to how limited these two versions will be. We know the name, how about the numbers?

gzachary, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Competizione seems to be the most logical name. Especially consideirng the Photoshop mistake on the dash.

I get the point various people make about the lines. Yes they are not classical nor fluent. But that, again, is not the point of the car. This car was designed to go fast. Not desigend to be a beautiful car that also goes fast. It's reverse engineering based on a current model.

"How can we make the 812 faster". Not "how can we make the car nicer/better".
    With increased handling/aerodynamics come design sacrifices. The laws of gravity can not be bend.

As clearly stated in the video, whilst standing in front of current race models "form has to follow function".

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    812 competizione has the 8 speed gearbox that already fits Roma and so on

ciao

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Given 275 pages now, mostly not necessary going forward, maybe somebody here can start a new thread called “812 Competizione” and have the first post show all the renders by isot and ingegnere and then the official Ferrari renders and then the different PS colorized ones?
    Might make it cleaner now that we are this close to complete reveal...
    Just a thought.

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    @MDEL did it. There is also already a 812 gto pictures thread.

I agree on the idea. that thread is about the rumors, so it died yesterday.

MDEL, 456-boy and italiafan like this.
  10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Still not everything officially disclosed, so I would wait until early May...

456-boy, LVP488, RossoF8 and 2 others like this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes but go with correct name and organize comprehensive photos into first post.

dcmetro likes this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Interestingly, no. Were it an impressive number, one would think it would have been broadcast by now...

Thecadster likes this.
  13. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    812 Supergrip

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Actually, if it’s making its peak power at higher RPM—I’ve haven’t checked or compared to regular 812—torque could even be the same, a bit more... or less if they tuned it for high RPM. Will be interesting to learn more.

mthompson2376 and paddy like this.
  16. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Doubtful the increase can be felt seat of the pants wise. There are some benefits with the 8DCL 900 transmission though, less loss thru lubrication system is claimed, so perhaps it'll be noticeable. The 812 SF is already awesome IMHO.

ingegnere likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Allegedly they've been working on the downforce and on the steering - both could improve the driving behaviour but the weight reduction is critical for a good outcome, I hope they could succeed there.

18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I don’t see how these work as winglets being in the wake of the tires. Also, unlike the vortex generators on the hatch, these don’t have a protruding lip.

This picture shows how the inlets on the side are perfectly aligned with the strakes inside the rear facing exit, so pretty sure they’re trying to clean up the air behind the tires by exhausting it out the back, into the base area, and get a drag benefit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Alternately, they could be bleeding pressure from the wheelwell area with these as vents (like with the TdF vents on the rear fender peaks) but not really convinced that’s what they’re doing since the rear facing opening at the back is able to do the same job a more effectively.

Solid State, italiafan and crinoid like this.
  19. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    stavura, italiafan and ingegnere like this.
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are right, my fault

ciao

21. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Let's hope so as the 812's brakes are lacking a bit....

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    No fault, man, we’re all just having fun speculating based on pictures. :)

stavura, gzachary, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  23. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Well yes and no. If what you're saying is entirely true then we would see Ferrari designs resemble those of the Mclaren Senna, the best example of form follows function. Again, if this was entirely true then the road cars would resemble the Challenge cars, or the XX program cars. But they don't, and that is because at the end of the day it is still a road car so there a limitations to the extent of which design components purely for aerodynamic purposes are considered. BTW, do not take my thoughts as harsh criticism of this car, I do like the car and think in certain specs it will look fantastic :) However, I think it's an interesting dialogue to discuss our criticisms and I thoroughly enjoy reading comments by many of you who know far more about aero and physics than I do.

italiafan likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There is no such thing as "best possible". Everything can be improved. Case in point, Cosworth's V12 in the Valkyrie that makes 1000 HP from 6.5 litres. The F140 engine is a 20 year old design, continuously improved upon of course, but a fresh design would have more potential.

I guess that the next V12 will either have a brand new V12, or electrification. I expect a brand new V12 for the LaFerrari's successor though.

perrinnation and Thecadster like this.