F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 21 | FerrariChat

F1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DEL MADE IN ITALY E DELL'EMILIA ROMAGNA 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis made a move on the exact same area on Norris and Norris also veered to the right to squeeze Lewis several laps later and Lewis made it stick BECAUSE the area where Lewis overtook Norris WAS DRY as opposed to Russell's area was wet PLUS Russell right tires went a bit off into the grass and picked up more wetness causing Russell to over rev, spin the rears, loose control and crash into Bottas.

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The “red mist” is definitely present in the highest level of the sport.

Russell certainly had smash from DRS. Bottis didn’t check his mirrors.

what a race!!!

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If it was so clearly Russell's fault, the stewards would hand him a penalty already.

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Jolyon breaks it down frame by frame and compares it to Norris vs Lewis.

Russell And Bottas' Crash Drama | Jolyon Palmer's F1 TV Analysis | 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

375+ likes this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Now that would be something to see !

Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Toto needs to hire Norris!! Fast, savvy driver!! Does not appear to over react and have anger issues!!

Bas likes this.
  7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How is it not the fault of the guy that lost control?

When you pass, you need to make sure as hell you can do it. Russell didn't need to go the grass. He did. He lost control. His fault. It's not rocket science. Blaming Bottas is basically saying you can't block or defend at all.

Giallo 550 and ingegnere like this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    +1

Bottas followed the dry line......Kimi followed the dry line.....Norris followed the dry line in that area.

ingegnere likes this.
  9. DF1

Stewards and George saw the additional camera footage as I posted above. Bottas followed the normal line for that section, which is not a straight line. George over reacted and then fully apologized when confronted with the actual evidence of Bottas just driving the DRY line normally for the area. Bottas left enough room and that room was to his right in the wet. George decided on slick tires, wet was ok.

+1 as George leaves dry line, high speed + wet and loses control. Fairly simple yes.

Giallo 550, ingegnere and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  10. DF1

Team Effort!!

Ricciardo had to "swallow pride" in Imola F1 swap with Norris
    By: Filip Cleeren
    Co-author: Adam Cooper
    Apr 22, 2021, 5:00 AM
    Daniel Ricciardo said he had to "swallow his pride" when his McLaren Formula 1 team asked him to move over for team-mate Lando Norris in Imola, but accepted the call was fair.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    #511 LVP488, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    It's clear that Bottas insists a little bit to intimidate Russell, he does not only move because he wants to stay on the dry - the humid part of the track is the darker, and at the end of his move Bottas' front right wheel is going on the dark whereas from Raikkonnen's car one could see Bottas has some clear (not dark) space on his left. So he definitely not only follows the dry path (which leads him to the right, no discussion about that) he also is "defending" in trying to intimidate Russell (and all the BS from the official statements is also clear as Bottas is said to "drive the normal line" and "use his right to defend" at the same time; how driving the normal line would be defending?)
    Bottas leaves enough room but Russell does not trust that and instead of letting the cars get closer (which he could have done, because Bottas actually left enough room, as he had to) he goes right on the white line and then on the grass, and that's where he loses control, not for being on the humid part of the track. Again, Russell overreacts (and that's where the problem is, it was completely possible to overtake there), he should have ignored the intimidation attempt - but Bottas trying to intimidate knowing he was ridiculously slower was a risky bet, that he also lost.
    I wonder why I have to repeat that, all is clear from the images independently of the agreed BS statements from Toto and officials.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In fact, the rules say that you cannot block !

You are not allowed to change direction or swerve to prevent overtaking.

Also, you must leave room for overtaking, and not "close the door", that's also in the rules.

13. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The defending driver, the one about to be passed, is allowed 1 defensive move.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Why am I not surprised you’re defending the Brit driver, despite all the evidence that Bottas was just following the normal (dry) line and, as pointed out by Ant Davidson, Bottas even jinked left when he saw Russell approaching. Maybe you missed the part where Russell apologized?

Is your next crusade going to be Russell hate?

Giallo 550 likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    No, he doesn’t. He needs a second rate driver like Bottas to step up his game to defend the WCC and be tail gunner to his lead driver.

jpalmito and LVP488 like this.
  16. DF1

I think for the future the new driver will be in the mold to replace a departing LH??

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, but only when HAM says he’s ok to be replaced.

18. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've seen the word "intimidate" used a bunch in this thread, did Bottas admit he was attempting to "intimidate" Russell? I don't see Bottas being that kind of racer, nor did I see him admit this.

In my view, Bottas was trying to prepare for the quickly upcoming left hand corner (thus moving as far right as possible while still leaving a lane for Russell to pass).

ingegnere likes this.
  19. DF1

Toto used the word bull---- in reference to George accusing him of defending a in certain manner. Thats ends the argument as did the additional camera views and statement from the Stewards. George's own apology words absolve any 'intimidation' by Bottas completely. Bottas only crime was being slower and not being liked by some fans, because he is in the seat. Nothing more.

He has never been known for stating things like George did or driving in a intimidating manner. Sometimes the truth is tough for some to accept when faced with it.

George has learned. He is in a game that requires more than just speed and a happy entitled face.

The fiscal reality is also part of Mercedes response to this. It affects all teams now when a competitor literally destroys your car.

Teams might want to come to an agreement for cost reimbursement with permission from the FIA. If you can cause accidents you can literally prevent a team from developing with a budget limit. A big time like Ferrari and Mercedes would be successful at installing such an agreement potentially.'

An accident can now cost future performance. That is an unintended consequence it appears.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    #520 LVP488, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    I am mainly guilty for that repeated use, because my english vocable is somewhat limited - of course Bottas did not admit intimidating, he just claimed he maintained his normal racing line while advocating his right to defend his position - go figure...
    That is the reality that's tough to accept for some: the only way to defend, since by the rules it's forbidden to close the door, is to intimidate. That only works with shy opponents and could also lead to bad consequences, as demonstrated here.
    As for Russell's apologies, they are the price to pay for his initial emotional words - as an employee, he finally admits that his communication must be under control.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Very true.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Incredible maturity on his part. He knows he has catching up to do to Norris (who himself has truly elevated this year to a higher level). I didn't think this possible 10 years ago but Mclaren is quickly becoming a favourite team of mine. Everyone in that team right now are just great people, the drivers, Zak Brown, James Key. Fantastic all round.

375+ and jpalmito like this.
  23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I wonder how Macca would have been if they stuck it out with Honda. They went through the teething years, then abandoned ship.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It wouldn't have worked then and I seriously doubt it would have worked now with Mclaren.

Toro Rosso, now Alpha Tauri, built the car around the engine.....RedBull followed suit....abracadabra!!

With Mclaren, it was "you build the engine around our car "

Mclaren did good going with Mercedes PU.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think as Joe says below, the team at Mclaren at the time was too stubborn to make the right decisions to make it work. The current team would make far better decisions however I would expect. Mclaren how has the best engine in the car so all in all, they're in a good place again.

I would agree.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.