1999 996.1 sells on BaT today for $55,000 | FerrariChat

1999 996.1 sells on BaT today for $55,000

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by johnireland, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Has the curse be broken? It was a stunning car with a rare color combination and an outstanding service history and only 27k miles. And it was a straight ahead normal 996.1 I doubt this means that they are the next 964/993...none of the inflated values of so many cars make real world common sense. However this auction was very exciting to watch live. And it shows that the 996.1 is worthy of classic status, and that both mechanically and design wise, it is more than worthy of the name, Porsche.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good for the seller. But I can't help but look at that and think "the Porsche bubble is WAY overheated". And then, maybe I should throw my 997.2 on BaT.

Wikdstrate and carguyjohn350 like this.
  3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Let the speculators speculate. Just drive your car and enjoy it. And nothing will make you appreciate it more than driving a new one.

randkin and zygomatic like this.
  4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Amen to that, John. The downside to all the old Porsche appreciation is that no one drives them anymore. They have become “valuable investments”.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  5. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yes, this happened to me before it actually happened.

I was really looking forward to a 993 variant of some sort. Would love a 993 turbo (S), but would “settle” for a 993 Carrera S. The turbos are just stratospheric at this point and even the Carrera S’s have stopped making sense for someone at my income level to use it like I want to use it.

I would love to have a 993 to drive almost everyday to take on errands and bomb around country roads during the weekend. Maybe even use it to teach my son how to drive stick. These cars are just too valuable (for me) to park on the street or at local grocery stores among the soccer mom minivans and occasional shopping karts that get loose.

Finally gave up yesterday and got on the list for the C8 ZO6. I know I’ll loser a fair amount in depreciation but at least I won’t be buying at the top of the market and won’t have $300K of capital tied-up in the car.

The ZO6 should be an entertaining car in the very low 6 figures that I can drive the snot out of and not worry about scratches/dings/mileage.

As soon as a car gets much past the $100K mark it looses its practicality/carefreeness (for me) and becomes a “point A to point A” car.

Kind of sad these cars have been priced-out of their intended uses (for most folks). YMMV

zygomatic likes this.
  6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just can't understand that price. Yes it is low miles and in great shape. I could sorta see it if it was an aero kit car with sport seats and a few other options. Just shocked it doesn't have a lot of the options I usually think of as being super desirable.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably a kid that liked the base model silver one stolen from Gone in 60 Seconds that drove through the window and sold GME stocks to buy it.

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great, I'm listing my 996TT tonight or tomorrow. Will be asking $185K.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would have sold him my base silver c2 for way less lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Is the 996.1 on the way to becoming the new Bitcoin? Yesterday a plain jane 92. C2 with 71k miles, sold for $93k. Today, a 93 928 GTS (automatic trans) with 91k miles, sold for $53.5k. Yes, they made more of the 996...but many of those have disappeared into age and neglect. And the 996 is the better car. I think the $55k for the 996 was hint that there is much more room for gain in the average prices...probably in the low 30s now on BaT. A $40k 996.1 is not far away...maybe by late summer. And it will still be to soon to sell.

11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I loved my 993. And I'm just as happy with my 996.1. I got one in great condition with 80k miles and a good service history for $30k out the door (including auction fees, tax and license). It is proving a perfect daily driver. If it gets destroyed by unknown forces, my insurance will cover it. I'll miss it, but it won't be irreplaceable. However the Los Angeles traffic is leaning on the pleasure of driving it in town. I'm now looking at a 1977 Alfetta GT with great history. I know the Alfas of this era...great drivers, easy to get parts or work on...gorgeous Italian lines when you scrap the bumpers...easy to tune and modify. And a full sized spare tire. I used to time trial one of these at RIR (when it existed) and Willow Springs...the perfect track and street car. An elegant alternative to the mega dollar car market. No apologies wherever you park it.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably sold bitcoin to get it so the answer to your question is yes, indirectly.

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I think it is a kind of trickle down economics. People that can't afford the air cooled cars or don't want to pay the high prices they are getting will start to pick up cheaper versions such as the 996 which will start to drive those prices up. I find this market pretty depressing and hope it is a bubble it seems the real enthusiasts are being priced out of the market. I found a beautiful 89 coupe that I would love to buy but at current air cooled prices I'm sure it is priced into the stratosphere.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes.

This happens often, although we may be overreacting to one data point in this case.

Porsche 356 coupes used to be $25K cars all day, but then the open cars skyrocketed and the coupes suddenly became worth restoring.

A 996 isn’t as desirable as a 993, but if you want a $50K 911 you’re running out of options. I remember driving a 2000.996 cabriolet at the dealer when they were new, and it is a user-friendly Porsche. I see the appeal.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    No one but you and me. :)

zygomatic likes this.
  16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And we don't count, because we're crazy!

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    ...but we have so much more fun AND we still enjoy at least stable value.

Win/win I say!