Buying an FF, dealer questions | FerrariChat

Buying an FF, dealer questions

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by no6thgear, Apr 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. no6thgear

no6thgear Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eugene Klimaszewski
    I’m in final negotiations on a 2012 FF from a Ferrari dealer.

1. they’re not showing a print out of service history. He told me some stuff over the phone he can “hack the system” and get to see it. Is it common to not get a full print of service history?

2. carfax shows no Ferrari services. Only some stuff at Toyota and Audi dealers. No details just says car serviced. Dealer says car was owned by someone who owned some dealerships. They appeared to be from the same auto group so that could be true. Does Ferrari service not show on carfax?

3. PTU service was done apparently on this car. Is there anything else I should ask them to check and see if it was completed?

4. $7500 for the buy one get one warranty for two years deal. Is this the right cost for this? Is it suggested? I’m not seeing horror stories on these cars, but it’s also my first FF. I can accept breaking even on buying warranty vs something pops up that’s 7k...I’m a gambler in that sense. But if it’s a 35% or greater chance issues over 10k will pop up the warranty will cover I would just purchase that.

5. does not have Daytona seats, pano roof or carbon zone. Are these pretty much required for decent resale value? The exterior color and interior are special order so I’m assuming that will be more desirable. Before the tailor made atelier service was available.

thank you in advance for any help!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    1, and likely 2 are false. In combo with known ptu issues, I’d be very wary. If it doesn’t have the items in 5, it’s a buyers mkt, price it low as such. Those are my 2c.

vraa likes this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    1. Service can provide a summary history of work performed at THAT Dealership performed. They can only show you what they have, so I would suggest clarifying what they have and why they cannot share it with you.

2. Ferrari MODIS will show labor operation codes for services performed at Ferrari Dealerships, with dates and mileage. 2012 had 7 years of free services, so you should see some history. If you will PM me the last 6 of the VIN, I can see what I can see on Monday when I am back in the office. I do not think Ferrari Service shows on CarFax unless a dealership reported it, Ferrari wouldn't ( IMO )

3. Leather Repairs? Soft Touch condition and previous repairs? Service History or at least showing that is currently current of all service by time/miles

4. Buy the warranty, 2 years for the price of 1... worth in from my side of the desk, and I am not selling you the warranty. Plus if something comes up that is not covered, having purchased the warranty gives you a leg up with Ferrari if Goodwill is needed. It shows you did your part. That and become a Ferrari Club of America member!

5. Buy it for YOU , yes, additional items help with resell, but you will pay more for those items too, may or may not get your money back.

Good Luck with your purchase!

Steve

4. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Pano roof was not available in 2012. Since Ferrari offered 7 year maintenance I would be surprised if the car wasn’t service by the Ferrari dealer, doesn’t add up for me. Get a PPI.

SAFE4NOW and vraa like this.
  5. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I believe if the dealer is offering the extended warranty, they have done their checks and inspected the car. $7500 for a 2 year warranty is a good deal. I would take that. Much less worry with the warranty. Cars can break even if they are serviced as per factory specs. But I think the FF is pretty reliable other than possible PTU problems. And I would change the battery unless it's very new. It will likely need it soon.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't buy warranties, but where the car's service history is unknown and they are giving you a BOGO, I would purchase it. I would also have a competent PPI done.

SAFE4NOW and timjen88 like this.
  7. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    The service records don’t surprise me. Often dealers of many Brands say the previous service records belong to whoever paid for the services. Sometimes they will ask permission to share them with you or black out the previous owners info and share them

as far as services being reported to carfax goes, that depends if the dealer reports to car fax or not. Most do automatically through their software, but there are still dinosaurs who don’t.

8. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I have not been able to get previous service history but my service manager at my local dealership is great and I can rely on him to let me know if anything is up. I've never seen Ferrari service pop up on Carfax.
    $7500 is a great deal for bumper-to-bumper. It's too expensive for the Power warranty, which costs the dealer $5600 or so. Don't bother seeing the warranty inspection report. It's pretty weak and doesn't have a lot of detailed information.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

9. no6thgear

no6thgear Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eugene Klimaszewski
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful information. It’s at a Ferrari dealer. They’re doing the annual service which is due. PTU oil change, engine oil, filters, etc. there were some leather repairs done by previous owner for sagging headliner ($3k), valve cover gaskets and spark plugs ($6k), wheel refinishing ($400). All Appear to have been completed within the last 4-6 months.

I decided to move forward with the purchase since the market is crazy at the moment and I can’t find a decent FF with lower mileage without a nutty price tag next to it. It makes more sense to get a Lusso for the price some are asking for FFs.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Market has boomed 20% almost everywhere, 355 are at least 20% too.
    What’s the spec and price of ur ff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Was this the Canna di Fucile with Sabbia interior? Didn’t see pics but the spec sounded awesome.

12. berger27

berger27 Karting

Apr 5, 2007
    Is this the one at Ferrari of Denver?

13. no6thgear

no6thgear Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eugene Klimaszewski
    It’s not the one from Ferrari of Denver. This is the one from Austin Texas. Final price was 140k. I don’t think it’s a deal but this is a spec I like so decided to go with it. It’s color is Grigio FF which is supposed to be the special color created for the FF. And Cuoio Toscano with a special order charcoal alcantara. I saw the one in Denver but the mileage on this one was attractive as I plan on driving this a good amount.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Sounds like a loaded car! Mileage? Enjoy!!

15. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Luggage set! And rear seat entertainment. Nice.

16. no6thgear

no6thgear Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eugene Klimaszewski
    It's pretty well optioned. 13k miles.

Unfortunately, the luggage set was not turned in with the trade. The salesperson gave the previous owner my number to chat about that though. Maybe I will get lucky and he sells it cheap?

17. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    The one in Denver sold already, I asked about it...they had a deal working within 2 hours of the listing going up

18. no6thgear

no6thgear Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eugene Klimaszewski
    I had a deal working with Austin before the pictures were even online.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    That's the game now....I called Denver about the one they had a listing for and the sales guy texted me pictures but said there was a deal pending already and they just got the car a few hours ago. Most dealers take over a week to put pictures online so tons of cars getting sold before the listings are even completed. It has me rethinking the purchase of another FF right now as it's becoming quite the hassle to deal with this stuff plus the selection is basically non-existent.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Well as much as I found my ff rather ugly, the fact that it has the last v12 ever (f12,812 all the same) and that is modern make it a great car to keep to be honest.
    Mine has been super reliable too.

21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Similar story I purchased my FF within 40 minutes of the ad being posted on Autotrader.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's a shame the luggage wasn't included with the trade, but I guess the previous owner didn't know if the dealer would remove it and sell it separately. It might have been different had the owner sold the car privately.

If the owner is wiling to sell it, buy it even if it isn't cheap. These luggage sets are going to get more valuable because Ferrari no longer has Schedoni make custom sets for each model. Now Schedoni makes one set of 6 pieces and Ferrari recommends which of the pieces will work for the model.

23. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    When did this begin? Lusso can order custom set.