How to install dashcam in f430 coupe | FerrariChat

How to install dashcam in f430 coupe

Discussion in '360/430' started by aslowdodge, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I want to install a VIOFO a129 pro dual dashcam in my f430. Does anyone know how to remove the a pillar inside panel and the door sill panels a s well as access to any other areas I need so I can run a cable to the back window for the rear camera.
    I don’t want to start randomly pulling on the inside panels for fear of damaging them.
    Any help or tips with this install would be helpful.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the way the panels are arranged it that: any interior panel cannot be pulled without damage without pulling its adjasent rear panel first.

So it would be a chain effect such that the rear most panel should be removed first.

door sill: i don't know

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I mounted one in the cabin on the glass but the pic was not much good.

4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I may wind up adding a dash cam also. Right now I use my action camera when I drive on a suction mount, but a dash cam would be so much better. Are the panels push/pull fit or is there some trick to removing them (starting rear first as you mention).

BTW: After seeing this thread, I searched YouTube, but the only videos Dan (NGS) had on the topic involved a cable he had run when his headliner was replaced, so he ran the wires in a completely different way than most will have to.

Cheers,
    Corey

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Garmin do a wireless reversing camera, pity you could not find a way to utilise the idea

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Running the power I think is the issue. My action camera does the job, but you have to charge it or swap the battery out every hour or so.

7. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    So as I can see, the upper trim piece on the back on the roof needs to be removed which allows you to remove the upper sides and then front then all other pieces as each pice will reveal the next panels mount screws.
    I just don’t want to pry and break mounts.
    The reason I want a dash cam is parking mode security.
    I tried a go pro on the back window an it had problems with glare from the rear lid glass. I may try a polarizing filter.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can pick up 12 volts from many places in the engine bay, just put an inline fuse in it.

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one thing that helps is to know in advance how many securing point each panel has( so that you don't start to pull it only to find out that there's still a screw hidden somewhere). How to find out? Maybe try ebay and see the panel pictures first.

FOr example, the A pillar panel has one screw in the middle of it. Lots of peoeple, me included, didn't notice it when first time removing it

10. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Unless I missed something, how did you even access the screw. I didn’t see any access cover or panel on the trim.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the A pillar panel? the weatherstrip. remove the door/window weatherstrip a little bit, then u'll see it.

12. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have a Blackvue in my 430 Spider and I learned the hard way these cameras draw more current than I expected. 1st overnight trip and I woke up to a dead battery. Be sure to install something to cut the camera off at a set voltage or time. The new Blackvue 900X has this built in.

13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    A "power Magic Pro" (30USD) will take care of that for you, if not integrated in the camera. You can set it so that it shuts down automatically after a set time, or after the battery goes below a set voltage.

ditpixs likes this.
  14. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yes! I have one ready to be installed.

15. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    VIOFO has a small harness that senses the battery voltage and shuts down power if voltage drops too low on battery.