Child seat for California 30 | FerrariChat

Child seat for California 30

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gaz2923, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    Evening all

I’ve just took the leap and bought my first ever Ferrari, a California 30.

There is an old thread on here about car seats but that’s now out of date and doesn’t look at the current models. I have a 2 year old who I want to take out and about, has anyone any recent experience of current model seats which fit in the rear, don’t impede the top opening or closing and are safe and secure :)

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nothing to share (our only child is the furry one in my avatar), but congrats on the new 30!
    Post up some pics!
    T

3. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    No problem

I’ll post some this week, just waiting to collect from the dealer now once it’s had a bit of love :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  4. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I have been on the hunt for a seat that fits for about a year. I have yet to find one. I think I have bought and taken back around 10 different ones. If you do find one, please let me know—my 5-year old yells at me daily for not being able to ride with dad.

alex likes this.
  5. DrStig

DrStig Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    I use the safe rider vest for my 4 year old (has to be over 3 years for this). I also think by reading the dimensions the pico portable car seat will work but I am good with the vest as of now.

6. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    Our lad is only 2 so not quite ready for the vest yet. I’ve booked a seat demo at Halford’s (UK retailer for anyone who is no UK) and going to try all their seats to see which fits.

If I have no luck there then there are some other retailers who bring the seats out to see which ones would work

russellmcg likes this.
  7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Keep us updated if you find one that works.

8. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    russellmcg likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Engineer's approach.....carefully measured the seat area volume, went all over Houston with a tape measure to every store and measured, bought the closest one and trimmed the plastic as needed to make it fit.

This was a few weeks ago though as my baby is now in college.

russellmcg likes this.
  10. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Pls provide more details on the model used. This could be a make or break it situation for many with kids including myself. Thank for sharing.

russellmcg likes this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    It was on a 911 and it was over 15 years ago now. The point I was trying to make is stop looking for the perfect seat and make a suitable one fit....I did everything on one day if I remember correctly.

andyrichter and russellmcg like this.
  12. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    Child seats have changed a lot over the last 15 years and are far more substantial now, less easy to trim :)

Nonetheless, based on the photo link posted above I’ve imported a diono seat from America which I shall make fit and post some photos

Image Unavailable, Please Login

andyrichter, russellmcg and Shark01 like this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nah, they have more plastic than ever, an easy snip here and there. I think you are using the right approach that get a best fit option and make it fit.

14. MJWoody

MJWoody Rookie

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Woody Vision
  15. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
  16. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yep. That’s how it was with me. Not worth the risk. I am starting to think that kids just were not destined to be in the back of the Cali.

17. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    If the weather stays clear I’m heading to Halford’s today to test all their seats

Will report back :)

russellmcg likes this.
  18. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    Failed at Halford’s today.

The last chance is a britax duo plus that other people seem to think fits ok but they didn’t have one in.

russellmcg likes this.
  19. dr.skp.ortho

dr.skp.ortho Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Wayb Pico fits

20. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
  21. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Thank you for sharing. If I used this in the passenger rear, would I still be able to fit another child seat in the passenger front seat (with airbag off of course)?

22. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    andyrichter likes this.
  23. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    How far above the back does your child's head sit? That was one of the things that made me nervous about putting one in mine. Also, is there much movement on the seat since it does not have the back tether?

24. Gaz2923

Gaz2923 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth
    I was worried about the lack of tether but once I locked in the isofix clamps it felt solid. I was pleasantly surprised.

Going to get a set protector to stop the leather getting marked but other than that all good.

I haven’t sat him in it yet but I’ll get a photo on when I do

russellmcg likes this.
  25. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    It definitely fits flush for me. That was something I paid particular attention to because other seats did not (in fact, it was so flush I was worried whether the anti-roll bar would hit it if it deployed). Not sure why it didn't work for you, but I did notice you had it on the driver's side instead of the passenger's side. Also, there are two settings for the angle of the seat, did you try both?