575 M manual CEL possible O2 sensor error codes | FerrariChat

575 M manual CEL possible O2 sensor error codes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by datjat, Apr 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. datjat

datjat Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    Technical question on CEL with a 2003 575M Manual with 25K miles. After winter hibernation, battery switch off, battery on tender, turning the battery switch on and going through the learning regimen as described in this blog, engine starts warms up and runs smooth. After street and highway driving of about 40 or 50 miles the CEL comes on. Engine still runs smooth.

1) Using and OBDII scope the error codes were: P1137, P1138 [both are air fuel errors) and P1048 [Cyl 7-8-9 lambda sensor (O2 sensor) malfunction).
    2) Erasing the codes, restarting the engine, no CEL, engine runs smooth. With engine running pending code is P1138. 20 or 30 miles later CEL on turns

Questions:
    1)) am I seeing the start of old age malfunction of the O2 sensors and should I replace all four, or just the one bank or ???? [FYI the thermocouples were replaced about 5K miles ago when I got erroneous catalytic overheating light. solved the problem]
    2) is 02 sensor replacement a relatively simple task or are there associated electrical adjustments better left to a dealers expertise?
    3) Suggestions or comments welcome.
    Thanks

2. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, about 10 years ago, I had CEL issues with my 2002 575 manual that were intermittent and went on for several years and several dealer service depts. IIRC, codes were related to air/fuel sensors(?). At a "pit stop" at the Wynn in LV, mechanic said corrosion in sensor electrical contacts; cleaning fixed the problem.

Qavion likes this.
  3. datjat

datjat Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    That would be a great find! Unfortunately I do not think it likely, although very definitely worth an inspection, because the car has been primarily garaged in Dallas and Tucson and never sees rain or winter as long as I have owned it (8 years). Thank you for relaying your experience!

4. datjat

datjat Rookie

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you VandevanterSH. I started exploring the error codes especially the P1048 code which indicated a possible potential connection issue with O2 sensor. Acting on your post, I pulled apart the electrical connection plug and the internals appeared to be somewhat corroded, so I cleaned them (and the three other front sensor plugs connectors) with the appropriate electrical connection anticorrosion contact cleaner. End of CEL! Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one. Since the 02 sensors are from 300 to 400 bucks each, I'd say you saved me money, aggravation, and time. Thanks.

Qavion likes this.
  5. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "! Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one. "
    Thanks go to the tech at Wynn/Penske, now Tobin Ferrari. I can't remember his name, older from Scotland/UK(?). The CEL problem had been going on for several years without a solution from several service depts. Lucked out by getting an oil change in LV and tech immediately said corrosion of sensor contacts, just a different approach; solve problem rather than replace parts.

6. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Another FWIW CEL...Haven't driven the 575 much over past 6 months, occasional start and run in garage. CEL came on about 4 months ago; finally had annual service done last week and during drive to Dallas, CEL went off. Scan reported both banks running lean (intermittent ?). Crack found in vacuum hose, replaced.

Qavion likes this.