1977 400GT | FerrariChat

1977 400GT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Maeter1, Apr 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Good afternoon everyone,

The day has arrived...picked my newly acquired 400GT this morning from Automotive Restoration in Stratford, CT and drove her back to Philadelphia, a great way to get to know each other! Marcel Massini was very kind to pass along her early history which is as follows:

Original exterior color: Oro Kelso (that's gold metallic). One of just two 400 GT's painted Oro Kelso when new (the other is S/N 21183).
    Original interior color: Beige VM 3218.
    23 March 1977 factory completion date, the 20th 400 GT 2+2 manual built.
    Delivered new to official Swiss importer SAVAF (Société Anonyme pour la Vente des Automobiles Ferrari), in Geneva, Switzerland.

And from David Ramm, who keeps a 365/400/412 registry, I received the following:

Engine number: F101C000*0078*
    Gearbox number: F101CLN-23
    Differential number: 101CLM N25

The earliest reference I have to the car is from 1980, an advert in the Los Angeles Times:
    LA Times, 20 Sep 1980, superb cond, 5 speed, 213/476-1995, then;

LA Times, 26 Apr 1990, '77 400GT, 37k m, blk/tan, polished wheels, show car detailed, SER21111, 818/985-6036"

She was recently auctioned by Bonhams at the 2018 Scottsdale auction (having been sold through a Cole auction in the 90s), showing a license plate from Ohio.
    Following the auction, she went to the Motorcar Gallery, who sold her to the person I bought her from.

If anyone here could add to the history, I would be very appreciative, please respond directly in this threat or through a "conversation" if preferred. She will make her first appearance in PA on the 16th of May, at the PA Concorso Ferrari in Blue Bell. I will post my own pictures later this week, but in the meantime, here's the Motorcar Gallery link.

I will definitely bring her back to Oro Kelso, probably sometime over the next two years, but I look forward to using her until then.

Her new life starts from now...

Pascal

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Congrats Pascal,some pics would be great :)
    No link attached :(

3. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    I forgot to mention that I would need to find the following small items, not being lazy about looking myself, but I have not had Ferraris in the US so not sure who the "go to people" are!

Need to figure out both ignition key and accessory key (glove box and fuel/trunk lever) numbers as I only have one ignition key.
    I think I am missing a chrome ring which goes around the ignition barrel? Any ideas where to find one?
    The sunvisor clips (beige) are broken off, where do I find replacement ones?
    Will need to find the plastic tray for the spare wheel (where the tool kit resides) as well as a spare wheel bolt, any one willing to part with either one of those?
    Will start hunting for pouch, toolkit, jack and ancillaries, all options/ideas welcome!

Thank you in advance for all the help,

Pascal

4. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
  5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats Pascal, she’s a beauty and looks like is in good hands! Enjoy!

Ruben

6. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
  7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  8. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Congratulations Pascal,she looks lovely.

Sadly many of the great 70's colors was painted over in favour of more generally accepted colors. She would look fantastic in the original Oro Kelso and you should without a doubt bring her back to original appearance.

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Amazing car congrats!!!

10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  11. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Very well, pulled like a train!

12. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Does the 400 come with an emergency window winder? If yes, could I see a picture?

13. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Any ideas what those large red and green lights are? Car delivered new in Switzerland, so a local modification, red would be to indicate if brake system has failed?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interesting. Certainly aftermarket. There shouldn't be anything in those spots. I wonder what they are for? Hmm.

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Pascal,

Congratulations on your car, it sure looks great!

Below is what I believe is what the emergency window handle looks like. I say "believe", as I do not have one and it is a picture I found on the web.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Yes, thank you Sam, do not have one either but that's the one I came up with as well. Two wrongs make a right maybe? The drawing in the owner's manual is more conceptual than historical.

17. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Any ideas about sun visor clips?

18. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
  19. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    After seeing @rovexienus Metalic gold 365, I must say this is my favorite color. color.

For sunvisor substitutes, have a look at Erin's blog, I think the Lancia Epsilon does have the same part.

No chrome bezel around the ignition key.

Manual window tool is reproduced by Superformance.co.uk

The plastic trim for the toolbox is a cheaply made vacuum moulded sheet of black ABS. Should be easy to reproduce.

20. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  21. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those lights are one of the mysteries of life. There are a good many S1 400s with those but nobody seems to know what they're for. I have them in mine, but I've not taken the time to trace them out.

22. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    Well, the shipping quote from ItalParts was so ridiculous that I looked for the Lancia Ypsilon equivalent and found them in Italy, $45 all in for a pair!

Would not know how to start about reproducing tool tray but will keep searching...

Interesting on lights, not as much a unicorn as I thought. Do you know where your car was originally delivered? Owner's manual (page 17) describes a warning light for brake system failure and hand brake on, could it be for that?

23. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Pascal, I would assume the red and green lights were a US modification. I have not seen them on other carb Swiss delivered 400s. Regards David

24. Maeter1

Maeter1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    New Hope, PA
    Full Name:
    Pascal A J Maeter
    A quick update:

Tool tray purchased in Holland, thank you eBay! And emergency window winder sourced through the same channel. Anybody would have an extra spare wheel bolt/clamp which they would be willing to part with for a reasonable Paypal transfer? Found a very helpful thread on wiper blades and ordered the Trico inserts through Amazon for a whopping $25 all in! A good day so far!

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  25. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    Yes, that is the emergency window tool. I have one in my toolbox. From the photos, I see two different radios. Above the stick looks like another electric mirror switch similar to the one below. Is that what it is. Also the very small red light on the left. Looks like it was for a burglar alarm. I have a carbed 78 and nothing beats that engine bay. I am also in the hunt for spare wheel lockdown and tool tray.