High Torque Starter Suggestions (GT4) and Floor Mats | FerrariChat

High Torque Starter Suggestions (GT4) and Floor Mats

Discussion in '308/328' started by Erol, Apr 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Hi all

Have searched around this forum a bit and can't find an unexpired link to a starter people are happy with (seems most starter threads are 10 years old or more!). Found a post mentioning the Gustafson starter but doesn't seem they have one for a GT4 (or does the GT4 use the same starter as the GTB or QV?)

https://www.classiccarperformance.com/collections/ferraristarters-com

On a totally unrelated note, anyone have floor mats that they're happy with? Mine came without so want to try to preserve the original carpeting

Finally, this forum is just amazing. I've solved a dozen problems searching old posts and posting new threads and getting feedback from folks. I'm learning a lot and really appreciate this community.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Erol likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    There's quite a few starter threads from 5 - 8 years ago - I replaced my original Bosch with a Gustafson high torque starter in 2014, wrote about it in this thread:
    Starter problem on 84 QV. A real quick search found several more threads,
    Help! Gear reduction starter doesn't fit - from 2015, re the IHI starter option
    Still having starter issues!! - from 2014
    Gustafson Starter - from 2014

I can't say for certain, but I believe the starter on the 308 GT4 would be the same and fit the same as the carb'd 308 GTB/GTS. You could check the parts diagrams and part numbers on a site like www.eurospares.co.uk to confirm.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Erol likes this.
  4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yeah they are all the same. By the 328 and late QV the factory used smaller units. But fitment and pinion are all the same.

Erol and GordonC like this.
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If you're replacing the starter, take out the batt cable from the starter to alternator and have a new one made with a heavier gauge. Oem on the gt4 is woefully small and by now brittle (insulation). Also check and replace grounding straps if needed.

Erol and Jdubbya like this.
  6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Is there an issue with starters?

The factory starter (refurbished) on my '79 368 with 10:1 CR cranks over just fine. I never had any problems before the motor upgrade, either.

I do like the reduced weight and smaller size of a mini-starter though...
    Doug

Rifledriver and Erol like this.
  7. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    My main concern was getting it back in! Based on what I’ve read the smaller starters are easier to install.

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I recently bought floor mats for my GTS. I didn't buy them from Nick, so I can't vouch for price/quality/etc. But I do know that next time I would buy from Nick and not the vendor I used.

Erol likes this.
  9. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Superformance do a high torque starter. TFC in Kent tried to fit one to my GT4 but although it fits mechanically the cable comes out the wrong side and too short to get to the supply cable. It was going to cost too much to fix; in the end they installed a 328 starter

Erol likes this.
  10. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
  11. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    If you want something a little different, with a full custom fit to your actual car, and made to-order-in the USA, check out Cocomats. If you follow the link below and scan down, you'll see an 85 QV with their calico matt. This is NOT my car, but it might as well be. When I ordered mine, they first shipped me a paper template, which I was able to trim/add to to customize it to the exact shape from my vehicle. They cut my mats from my template. Five years and ~8000 miles later, they still look new.

It doesn't have a horsey on it, of course...

https://www.cocomats.com/other-makes/

Erol likes this.
  12. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Erol likes this.