Official book collectors thread | Page 137 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    That's weird.
    Must have just happened over the last 24 hours.

2. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    Anyone get the Taschen publication "ultimate collector cars " Am thinking of ordering it but would love to get some feedback, good or bad. Its not the cheapest of books. Thanks.

3. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Set of 'coffee table' books. May impress uninformed visitors to your house. Other than that, just another commercial project.

4. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    Are all books not commercial projects.? I have over 100 books and I paid for everyone of them !!! I love my cars and if the photography and content were good than I would purchase it. What I was asking was if someone had bought it than what did they think of it.

5. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    #3405 bloomberg, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    I've seen the books and did not like them. To me they're just a set of pretty pictures. But by all means, if you like them just buy them. Still, there is difference between a labour of love (for which one should also pay), and a pure commercial project. To me these Taschen books fall in the latter bracket.

Nembo1777, Lusso123 and doyler like this.
  6. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    Thanks for your opinion. Obviously with covid I can't get to see the book before I order and I thought that with 100 high end cars it would tick a lot of boxes if ghe photography and content were "high end".

7. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Maybe wait a little and then check it out in a book store.

8. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    We are on our 4th covid wave here so could be a while until book shops open again and I was worried the book would be sold out with online sales. I was just hoping to get a few opinions to help me make my mind up. I bought the 312P and ROFGO Collection books online and was very happy with them.

9. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Please do not worry about the books being sold out. With a first printing of 10.000 copies, you’ll be able to get one long after we left covid behind us. Rofgo and 312P are much better quality, btw.

Lusso123, doyler and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, they’re published by specialty houses who really know their subjects and their readers.

Lusso123, Rosey and bloomberg like this.
  11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure why the responses to an entirely reasonable question seem to be somewhat hostile. I have a couple of Taschen books (on non-motoring subjects) and they're pretty good and nicely produced. I haven't seen a copy of Ultimate Collector Cars to give any informed comment on it one way or another but I'm sure bloomberg is right that it won't be hard to get a copy with the number they're printing. I'm confident it will look very nice because Taschen books usually do and the sample pages suggest it will. I also note the recommended price is £200 but the cheapest I've found (Speedyhen - no affiliation other than as a customer in the past) have it at £116. So, well worth shopping around if you do want a copy.

I would certainly have bought a copy of their Ferrari book (written by Pino Allievi, author of a number of other books I own) if I could have had just the book at a sensible price without the stand.

Taschen are a speciality publisher, aren't they? But their speciality is design rather than motoring.

doyler and jm2 like this.
  12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    All Taschen books look nice, that’s not the problem. Some of their publications are outstanding, well researched, etc. I just do not appreciate this particular set of books. With so much choice, there are better options out there. That’s all.

Lusso123 and Rosey like this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  14. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I've seen the book in one of the Taschen shops. I do not wish to be unkind to anyone, but this is not the kind of book, heirloom, or whatever you call it, that I would buy. To me it perfectly fits in the current 'bling' culture: lots of show, and very little go!

LVP488, Lusso123, Rosey and 1 other person like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I have the book including the massive stand etc.
    Not worth the money but I had to have it anyway.

Marcel Massini

jpsf1uk, Rosey, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I take it you bought the Opus as well.

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes.

Marcel Massini

Rosey likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thoughts between them both.
    If you had to own only one?

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1. Thoughts? Two more unnecessary items to dust off regularly.
    2. Cannot comment as I have never been faced with that problem.

Marcel Massini

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    With that point we can definitely agree on !! :)

21. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I ordered a copy of this which arrived today. It is pretty much "just another general book of photos". I have only flicked through so far and there are some nice, but largely well known, pictures. Only a handful of paragraphs on each car and even then some, like 312 T, T2, T3, T4 are lumped together. So, it is really another one that goes in the pile of for your young nephew for Christmas who is quite interested in the subject but doesn't really know much yet.

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Meanwhile Porter Press charges your credit card for GBP 482 instantly (the day you order) and well in advance, two months before their book actually comes out. I find this a bit "unusual", to put it mildly.
    Not that I really care about this amount but do they really have to raise cash to complete a book and print it? I find this a rather interesting business model.
    After all this is about a simple book only and a small amount of money, not something like a tailor made genuine Ferrari that costs 500 Grand or more and takes 18 to 24 months to build.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Lusso123 like this.
  23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I had an almost identical experience a little over a week ago when I placed an order for the yet to be released Joseph Figoni Vol. title on Alfa Romeo, which will not be available until early July (over 2 months from when I paid). To order it from either the publisher or the assigned exclusive dealer, I had to pay in full up front, no choice. I generally don't pay in full - in advance for anything unless it's being custom made for me. Deposits are fine & understood and a non-issue. Some companies in the past would give/offer free shipping, or a discount of sorts, to anyone willing to pay in full in advance for an item that was in the works but not yet ready for delivery, but that is not the case here. It certainly is not the way I do business, and I don't make my clients go through this, but I guess for some things you just have to bite the bullet and accept this odd and unfriendly way of doing business. And frankly, there is never a guarantee of delivery. So, from a customer service standpoint, it is just not good.

Llenroc likes this.
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I agree, it is a bad business practice. But we are often afraid of being too late to order. Usually (the Miura book was an exception) books do not sell out that fast.

Rosey and Lusso123 like this.
  25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, I was going to wait until the book was available, but was told that they were only printing 600 books, and that 400 had already been sold.... so...exactly as you wrote, I was afraid of being too late, or having to pay a big premium.