2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I don’t think it is a question of crying wolf. When they launched the Icona series the idea was to do the Monza first, a F40-style car second and a re-interpretation of a 60’s sports coupe (SWB/GTO) third with cars arriving three years apart. I believe that is still the plan, although I now hear the Icona series might have more episodes than three.
    The second Icona will come by 2022 latest, so let’s wait and see. Doing another F40 in today’s regulatory environment is a very difficult project. The F40 is all about being super light, raw, stripped-out, yet still road legal. If they don’t use batteries, I struggle to see how they can get more than 750-800 up out of the turbo V8. If that is what it’s go, it will need to weigh 1250 with fluids to recreate the F40 performance. Very tall order if the car needs to have airbags, air con, infotainment etc. The closest thing to a modern F40 is the Senna in terms of weight and performance and it has a full carbon tub and carbon body...

One thing is certain: If Ferrari produce a car weighing 1250kg all in, with a carbon tub and body that has sub 7s performance in the 0-200km/h acceleration run, and looks as good as the F40 did, it will be one for the history books!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

elmadi, Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  2. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I already wrote in another thread, that with Ferrari's current strategic direction I think it's very likely that the next hypercar platform will be utilized not for one model (i.e. LaF successor) only. IMO a modern F40 would need a composite chassis and body to be taken seriously. As you mentioned correctly, it doesn't need to be crazy powerful as long as it's pure, raw and very, very lightweight.

ZF123 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Some F40 owners have modified the engine up to the point it produces around 900 HP. And that's the old engine design from the 80s. Getting 750-800 HP from a modern turbocharged engine is a piece of cake.

They can get rid of all that crap if they want to recreate the F40 experience: no airbags and infotainment, just air con (and that as simple as possible).

Ferrari needs to work on the LaFerrari successor and make that weigh no more than 1 ton with all the fluids and stuff.

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    We can dream. How about we add manual gearbox to the "want" list.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    How are they going to make the car road legal without airbags?

LVP488, 9nb and red passion like this.
  6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    If I were Ferrari I would do the third Icona as a manual...Imagine what the demand would be for an absolutely gorgeous coupe with a gated gearshift...A 250 SWB re-imagined...

I don’t think they will do it for a new F40 where ultimate performance on road and track is the target

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    **** airbags. Ferrari will to to FIA and tell them to go **** themselves.

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari need a very specific kind of management in order for some of the requests/desires here to be fulfilled. The kind of management that respects and even admires the brand history, and is unapologetic about returning to an elitist, legacy-focused way of doing business, to the probable detriment of sales. With Ferarri as a public company I find that outcome extremely hard.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  9. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  10. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    best i have seen so far!

ag512bbi likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    but the car needs FIVE vents in the rear fender! ;)

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its gorgeous but too similar to original for it to be an icona which i believe are only 'inspired' by the original.

elmadi, Juvendude, Thomas S. and 2 others like this.
  13. TheBlueCarbon36

May 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Blue Carbon
    Do you guys think it will be based on the SF90 or on the F8? Imho the latter would be better considering that it would have the last non electrified V8. In addition to that, the SF90's technology will be outdated in a few years. Does anyone have news on this?

of2worlds likes this.
  14. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    that is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!!

15. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Imho, it will be a superlight weight version of the F8 Tributo. But I still haven't understood if:
    1) It was just a rumour;
    2) It was already delivered and never unveiled publicly;
    3) Still to be releaved.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Enzo rollin’ in his grave. Gross.

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Pleeze, with a SUV coming? he can only spin so fast. :rolleyes: :p

polishhammer83 and ShineKen like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  19. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you @George330 for sharing your info with us, which is always a great read.
    I have a question, you and a few posters on this thread are making the assumption that F40 Icona will not only draw stylistic impression from the F40 but will also try to embody the ethos of F40. However, looking at the Monza I only see the former and none of the latter in it (please don't take it as a criticism, I love how this car looks). I mean yes its a carbon fibre body but ultimately once you strip the outer body it is pretty much a standard 812. I don't see why Ferrari will do anything except designing a F40 inspired carbon fibre body on top of the SF90S and calling it the F40 Icona.
    The way I look at the Iconas, they are basically SP cars but conceived by Manzoni instead of a client and with 499 examples produced instead of 1.

saadxj220 and Solid State like this.
  20. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Let’s see...you may be right, but I hope you’re wrong. The F40 is a car that is still present in many Ferrari circles and gets driven regularly by owners. The original Monza isn’t as common or well known and wasn’t a road car to start with which is why it is easier to do a retro-looking car that has a charismatic V12 with great sound, a beautiful body and then sell it as a Monza -inspired model.
    The F40 is not a “pretty face” to most Ferraristi. It is a car they see in many Ferrari meetings, it still gets tested by magazines and it is known for lightness and brutal power delivery. If Ferrari makes a F40 lookalike that weighs 1800kg and can drive 50km on electric power it will face major challenges from collectors who buy these cars. Ferrari may well use the SF90 platform and engine, but if I were them I would take off the batteries, design a full carbon body, aim for 800hp from the twin turbo V8 + 1250kg weight with stripped down interior and try to sell something that is closer to a road version of the P80/C. Then I am sure they can call it the new F40 and would have many takers.

JackCongo, red passion and [gTr] like this.
  21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Next Icona will be NOT hybrid .

9nb likes this.
  22. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Inspiration is 250 GTO or F40 ?

23. Ilferrarista92

Ilferrarista92 Karting

Dec 7, 2018
    Could you give us some hints please @day355 ?

24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No, his pleasure is to let us languish in agony.;):D

Ilferrarista92 likes this.