Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I see it listed.

2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    My bad, I see it now.

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The constant references to Porsche being so reliable and well built is not a true reflection of reality. There exists a list of past recalls, with many of them being highly dangerous( GT 3 engine fires,) or serious (IMS issues necessitating engine replacement with Porsche attempting to conceal it). Of the dozen Porsches I have owned, all but 3 had minor to significant issues ranging from transmission breakdowns, to cabrio roof motors needing replacement, suspension breakage, driver window motor mechanisms seizing.

wthensler likes this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Well, your experience is far greater than mine, but the one 996 C2 Coupe I kept for 20 years had zero problems. The earliest models were not as prone to IMS failures, it was only when Porsche tried to make it better (instead making it worse) that things deteriorated. Sometimes I wonder if these failures were blown a bit out of proportion, but they aren’t trouble free cars, which your experience would seem to affirm.

5. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Out of the 7 Porsche's I've owned over the years including multiple GT and Turbo models, I have had no real issues with any of them. In the sports car world, they are still the most reliable IMO.

FFan5, Gh21631 and ScrappyB like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Depends upon what you call back. :)

I guess even I got weary of watching jcmd continually shooting himself in both feet...

And yes he knows what he can do with his denial and retort - that is if it can fit considering everything else others have given him to stick up there. Frankly I doubt there would be any room.

Coincid, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Funny, something similar I heard from a mclaren owner.

8. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    Id rather put a whole lot more weight on the reviews of the guys at Topgear who obviously failed to get you to drive the car so you could give them advice on audio components and not how the car performs. Your perceptions are your own and that's ok, i just dont think you are qualified. Im sure you can get in touch with Ollie M and complain about his perception re your car. Your "reviews" are more about you rather than something for the true car enthusiast. And now you can wear your Phd in Psychology or Psychiatry hat to add to your many talents. Cheers.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/speed-week-2020/speed-week-2020-765lt-vs-911-turbo-vs-huracan-evo-vs-f8

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    For anyone too busy to read that “review”, I submit my brief, but comprehensive synopsis. I absolutely love Ferrari (I own an 812, and my new Pista arrives tomorrow), but to think that the F8 betters the 765LT in any category other than retrieving groceries is simply absurd.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spider68, tekaefixe, Jo Sta7 and 3 others like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Performance wise you are correct, but looks wise I whole heartedly disagree. I have never loved the looks of the 720/765 whereas I think the F8 is drop dead gorgeous. Different strokes for different strokes which is why we have so many amazing choices in cars!

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There’s no wrong answer when it comes to aesthetics. But that article claiming the 765 is anything short of a revelation from a dynamics perspective is nonsense. I honestly can’t believe they were able to publish that after owning the car for a few days.

ScrappyB, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Indeed, the F8 is gorgeous. There isn’t really a car over $200,000 that I don’t like right now. They are all amazing. It’s like arguing over a blond swimsuit model versus a brunette swimsuit model...I’ll take both...thank you.

Coincid, ScrappyB and Jo Sta7 like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The current crop of Super Cars share one commonality- they are all special, and objectively highly capable. However, these cars are distinguished by their unique design aesthetic and individualized driving dynamics. Hence, subjective preferences and priorities will ultimately determine the car of choice. Those who make their purchase decision predicated solely on magazine reviews or opinions from " unqualified " forum posters, might not be optimally self serving. Objective reviews should document the car's capabilities but equally and perhaps more significantly, describe the subjective driving characteristics of the car since it is in this very domain that differentiates one from the other. One man's pleasure is another's pain. Anyone familiar with my self indulgent, unqualified car reviews would be aware of my exhuberance over the 765LT. However, I am highly cognizant of the fact that many would feel differently. Not everyone, consumers and magazine reviewers included, desire a car that is so raw, immersive and unfiltered. There exists many alternatives extant to satisfy super car enthusiasts and it is precisely the reason I refer to this current situation as the Golden Age of super cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    But what if you could ony pick one. Lets keep this in the realm of monogamy.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Let the man dream.

Coincid likes this.
  16. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The F8 is drop dead gorgeous. My wife saw a spider on our street, and loved it. Black with gold wheels. So we went and test drove one. I found the car unbalanced. That's just too much power for the chassis, at least on the street with traction control off. So I bought a Speciale. That's my swimsuit model. :)

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Agreed. Hammer the F8 from a dead stop and it gets a bit squirrelly on takeoff, more than one would have expected. I’m curious to see how the STO will behave.

18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    New ‘Ring record....?

19. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Would be shocked if it beats the GT BS with such a power deficit, but anything is possible.

Also, AMG’s lap was on a semi-damp track so they’d likely go back to try and reclaim the title. Fun times.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

Track/test reviews by journalists are starting to become useless

My totally stock 765 with $1,500 tires (Goodyear 3r) did 1:27.9 at laguna Seca . Stock Senna did 1:27.2

both of these lap times were done in an hpde environment and the only two production cars to be in the 1:27’s at laguna Seca .

motortrend - Randy pobst with the track entirely to himself did 1:32 with f8.

real tests with customer cars by real drivers have had very different results in the real world .

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    @autoaddictionmedia on instagram just put up some video clips of the STO out at the Ring for record lap attempts.

also on Robert Mitchell's instagram he posted a photo of part of the video staying there are 6 things wrong with this photo and he doesn't want to get into pointing out another crap record attempt.

thoughts?

22. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    #547 Jcmd, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    The STO is not ready for the attempt but is in the process of setting up the car.( notice the ground level laser sensors at axle level height(earlier videos) , Panta racing fuel, single wiper configuration.) Hopefully it will be faster by a significant margin vs Performante to avoid any "awkwardness" as described by Chris Harris( twitter) ie the slower lap time of the 765LT vs 720S at Hockenheim drives by C Berger.. Hard to explain the result. The set up plus the "lack of locking differential' was pointed out as maybe one of the factors in the handling department. Of course the 765 LT is quicker than the 720S in straight line performance with more power and less weight. The STO has checked all the boxes in outdoing the Performante in a track ie less weight, theoretically more power by virtue of less drive train resistance in RWD vs AWD., supposed more DF and less drag, better brakes. Right now the focus is how much is it better than the Performante in the Ring and can it beat the SVJ time. Reached out to one of the factory drivers and if he is doing the testing asked about how the testing is going and all i got was a thumbs up emoji. I dont know what that means so we will have to wait a few more weeks. Glad to hear the sounds generated by the car is intact and familiar and the look is sinister in this color scheme ( videos). The rear wing looks awesome. This car is a fitting example of the last great NA super sports car for the brand.

https://www.exoticsboost.com/content.php?12966-The-McLaren-765LT-and-620R-get-tested-on-the-Hockenheim-GP-course-Slow

23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That footage is really helping build my anticipation. I can’t wait to see how it does. I think the STO will best the AMG BS, only to then itself be bested by Porsche (GT3 RS?).

Regarding the Sport Auto test, I thought the final consensus was that the 765LT was set up poorly and that the track conditions were even worse. Real world owners are getting near Senna levels of performance.

Gh21631 and Coincid like this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The F8 does get squirrely from a launch and the rear wheels spin. This was the case with the Pirelli P Zero. Wonder if it would be less so with the optional Michelins.

tekaefixe likes this.
  25. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    #550 Jcmd, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Regarding the Sport Auto test, I thought the final consensus was that the 765LT was set up poorly and that the track conditions were even worse. Real world owners are getting near Senna levels of performance.[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe "real world owners" drive better than
    https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/christian-gebhardt

An owner can be anyone who has the money; does not make him or her the authority. Also, no correlation of number of cars they owned to their skill as a driver or reviewer. its funny when people feel they have to state the cars they have owned or driven then give their opinion and expect all to agree. id rather see their CV of sorts in driving. So in the real world you can pick the sources you trust unless you are a Hamilton of sorts and even he may not have the time and resources to do a proper review. In the end, its how the engineers and manufacturer set up the car and its entire package to give the best driver enjoyment that everyone can experience and agree at all skill levels.

Elisesko and REALZEUS like this.