FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS *** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Well not this time !

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Max called in a power unit complaint as he started is final Q3 lap. I wonder how this will play out in the race ??

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He had moments of candle-light last year............

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So Red Bull clearly has the fastest car since they have both cars on the 2 front rows while mercedes only managed to be on the front row...hum, i'm correct right?...or did i miss something...maybe it was from that french cheese i ate....

Bas, 635CSI and classic308 like this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Early days yet, but...

I wonder if the cynics still think Sainz made a bad move going to Ferrari.

Also, how about those of us (me included) thinking Ferrari should have signed Ricciardo instead.

Bas, TexasF355F1 and 635CSI like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    i have to admit I am lost about Ricciardo too..

ingegnere and TexasF355F1 like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Turkey in the rain was the only one I remember--but the rain and the fresh tarmac equalized the field.

DF1 likes this.
  8. DF1

He needs 3+ consistent races, top 10 or top 8 etc with solid points and more than Lance by 2 positions or better, for me to think he is 'back'.

9. DF1

Marko - the useless grand-father. Shut up. Max made a mistake. He admits this. Too bad he is frustrated. To win minimize mistakes. Stop blaming others. So ridiculous RedBull. He has a good chance with the start tomorrow for Max. Move ON!

McLaren denies Norris held up Verstappen on purpose in qualifying
    By: Jonathan Noble
    May 1, 2021, 2:36 PM
    McLaren has denied any suggestion Lando Norris deliberately held up Max Verstappen in Portuguese Grand Prix qualifying to hinder the Red Bull Formula 1 driver in his battle with Mercedes.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko spoke out after qualifying at Portimao suggesting that there could have been an ulterior motive to Norris being told on team radio not to do Verstappen any favours.

Speaking to Austrian channel Servus TV, Marko said Red Bull had noted the radio message – and hinted at it being a ploy by McLaren to help boost engine partner Mercedes.

Looking at the way Verstappen had missed out on pole, Marko said: "Of course it's frustrating when you set the fastest time. But in Turn 4 [on his first run] he got a gust of wind from behind and it took him out. He lost time because of it, not gained.

"Then on the second run, Lando Norris got told not to do Max any favours. Very sporting of the Mercedes squad. And then with [Seb] Vettel, of course, he was busy with the car, that he keeps it on the road. It was a bit unfortunate."

But McLaren insists that it did nothing wrong, and was clear that it was simply making sure rivals did not gain any benefit from the slipstream.

Team principal Andreas Seidl said: "First of all, we have to make it clear, we drive for ourselves and not for anyone else. Our aim is to finish as high up as possible with our two cars.

"I guess it's normal that, like everyone is doing, and Max was no different, you don't want to give anyone a tow, because it's a benefit for the other car.

"Qualifying is about doing the lap time yourself without the help of anyone else. And I think this radio call probably they are referring to... when you look at what everyone did on the main straight, after finishing the lap, you just tried to get out of the way, out of the slipstream, to make sure that everyone can do his lap himself, and without additional help."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclaren-denies-norris-held-up-verstappen-on-purpose-in-qualifying/6500484/

10. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    It was NEVER off track.... :( MB as always sandbagging to create drama. Mark my words, as of tomorrow it WILL be the MB/LH44 steamroller ...... :(

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I was not saying "he is back" by any stretch of the imagination.
    I am simply saying that he is simply performing better than in the recent past.

william likes this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Marko is becoming a bit of a drama queen.

Verstappen already won a GP this year starting from the second row, so everything is possible.

I would be more worried about the off track limit excursions that may bring time penalties.

ricksb and DF1 like this.
  14. DF1

Only today.

15. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Becoming??? It's his life's work.

Sent from my SM-G986U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ingegnere and Mitch Alsup like this.
  16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Toto probably had the techs turn down Hams car to throw Boty a bone ...lift his spirits and motivate him a little. :D

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes overjoyed with Bottas pole
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, furoni, Jeronimo GTO and 3 others like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    furoni and Bas like this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    What do you think the odds are for tomorrow?

Bottas -Hamilton
    Hamilton-Bottas
    Hamilton - Max
    Bottas - Max
    Max - Hamilton
    Max - Perez
    Hamilton - Perez
    Perez - Bottas
    Ocon - Stroll
    Gasly - Vettel

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If temps stay low this has Mercedes written all over it. Judging from yesterdays reaction I'd be very surprised if they let Bottas win...

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The championship is at stake, and Hamilton is more likely to win it than Bottas, so one can understand.
    It's the same strategy at Red Bull in favour of Verstappen.

Michael Sexton and Terra like this.
  22. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    It was obvious he made the right choice (for anyone with a brain). Sainz seems to be a solid support for Lec, like I had suspected.

What comes to Ricciardo...I know there is alot of aussi fans that root and hype him; but honestly to me he is a bit overrated. He was flattered last year by Ocon just having come back to F1 driving. I don't see Daniel ever winning a wdc in his career.

Jeronimo GTO, subirg and Thomas S. like this.
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well that was fun. Weather determined a bit of a mixed up grid. Sad to see the mercs looking so dominant. Good they have issues in race trip and that Max can get another great start to get passed.

Stroll! Hahaaaaaa! How I laughed. He’s so useless. He’d struggle to beat Mazespin in equal cars.

Ric is clearly struggling at Mac but I think he will improve over the season. He’s not getting the max out of the car and he’s not even close to over driving it either. Watching the replay of his lap, he looked to be miles away from the cars limits. It will come.

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I sure hope the weather is bit warmer in Algarve cause up here it's a bit cloudy and not to hot, i just saw it, 23ª are expected with cloudy weather....looks Crapilton have the perfect conditions...

Bas likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm looking forward to Russell v Vettel.

Bas likes this.