Make your own Ferrari? | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarinoPerformanceMotors

BANNED

Apr 22, 2021
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Marino Performance Motors
    One of our long time customers ( purchased several prancing horses from us ) ran into a dead end ( in his mind ) with what excited him. He loves Ferrari V12s and has run through all the models except the 812GTS which is out of his price range based on currently wild market conditions. Living in South Beach and wanting to cruise with family and friends (back seat), he decided to something even wilder. Convert a Ferrari FF to a CONVERTIBLE. We're selling his FF because he's going to upgrade to a GTC4 Lusso CONVERTIBLE now. Thought you guys might enjoy the process. We'll post more media as it becomes available. How do you think it looks? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Can we see some actual photos of this vehicle? Lots of things don’t seem to make sense:
    - Some of your photos on your web site show a black interior while the interior here is clearly a tan color
    - The web listing indicates yellow calipers while they are clearly red here
    - Obviously the Ferrari insignia have been blurred and the background is fake
    - The listing on your web site says this has a soft top but it is not shown on any photos and unclear how that could work
    - The structural bracing for a unibody conversion like this would have to be a real feat and would be good to see
    - It would be good to know who did the conversion beyond “most experienced convertible converter in the USA since 1974”
    - Your web site states that “It was reacquired by Ferrari North America for an issue with the radio” which really doesn’t make much sense
    - The CarFax shows this vehicle failing emissions repeatedly and it is unclear why this would be the case for such a new vehicle that is stated to have no modifications besides the conversion
    - Seems like the coat of a GTC4Lusso plus conversion would have to be in the same range as a 812GTS

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    “ how do you think it looks?“
    Looks like it’s going to lose a lot of its structural rigidity.

IloveGT and EastMemphis like this.
  4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

good questions!

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I think it looks digitally altered

gt1995 and anunakki like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The shadows are EXACTLY the same in both photos!

gt1995 and anunakki like this.
  7. MarinoPerformanceMotors

BANNED

Apr 22, 2021
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Great questions guys! Thank You.

The car is in production. We'll post actual hi res pics shortly. See video below of initial top removal. The most important question is "structural integrity". Custom Builders LLC out of Gainseville Florida is doing the conversion. They recently stopped doing bespoke for a big contract with Dodge. However, the owner and our customer shared a common passion for this car which is how all this began. Custom Builders has a proprietary "web" under carriage and interior "cage" reinforcement mechanism that recently was awarded one of the highest ratings for convertible stability from Roush Adavanced Engineering in Michigan. They even beat OEM designs.

Having said that, the renderings you see began with our customer ( he did them himself in photoshop ) and the expectation was the engineering would include the undercarriage reinforcement and internal cage from Custom Builders. Prior to cutting the roof off, measurement beams were set up to measure the "bend" in order to implement the webbing offset. Much to everyone's surprise and delight, when the car was "cut", the frame did not budge. Because Ferrari did such an awesome job designing the AWD chassis, the center of gravity and structural rigidity fell below the line of the cuts by a significant margin. They considered adding the webbing anyway for "marketing purposes" but thought it was better to leave the car as original as possible ( provided there was no appreciable loss in rigidity...which there was not ). The internal "cage" structure which houses the automatic canvas roof mechanism is still important for smooth roof operation and cabin stability. You'll see its implementation in more detail in the weeks to come. Custom Builders has being doing this longer than anyone and actually even includes well known athletes, celebs and even the Pope Mobile. Lol. They are the real deal.

The tan interior car is a photoshop render of the before/after concept. The yellow caliper render is the actual Rosso Mugello car that is shown in the video below and associated with the carfax. We have sold thousands of exotics over the decades, so those issues prior to our stewardship of the car are not abnormal. As long as FNA addressed it, it's a non-factor. If it happened on our watch, I would be happy to provide more details, but it did not. We have very strict rules and long standing relationships from where we source inventory. Palm Beach buyers demand pristine cars. They are pre-owned, so when there are issues we address it like a Ferrari dealer and not a "used car dealer". That's why this customer became loyal and chose to do his project through us. He purchased the red Lusso on our site too which is why we're selling his FF. He's decided he likes the tech in the Lusso better. The Lusso will be converted to a convertible next.

A GTS is not reasonably attainable. The last one sold in Palm Beach went for over $800K and the buyer has to wait 4 more months to get it pre-owned because Ferrari has a minimum hold period of 6 months on the car. They are sold out for 5 years with a 50% waiting list. A clean, properly optioned FF is $150K from us and a GTC4Lusso around $200K. Add $100K for conversion and you have a pretty unique vehicle that seats 4. With V12 discontinuation, the base car has a good chance of starting to appreciate. We are already seeing this bump at wholesale. Left "asis" the FF and GTC4 may flatten and not ride the same wave up as expected in a 599 for example. Ferrari North America confirmed with us V12s are going vintage, so that will be a fun ride for all of us.

You guys deserve to get the inside scoop and see this all go down because this project is by a regular Ferrari owner, not a tycoon. He's only marketing this through us because the upfront engineering cost is so high from Custom Builders that he's trying to recoup/share some of the cost with like minded owners. This is a limited time project until he gets the exact combination of car, colors and features.

Again, more "real" hi pics and video will be posted in the weeks to come.

Side note: He was originally going to do a Nieman Marcus 1 of 10 Ferrari FF into a convertible. Luckily, he fell in love with the roof stitching so much and the collectability of the car that we convinced him to hold onto to it "as is" and found him the Rosso Mugello instead to "cut". Lol.

Attached Files:

anunakki likes this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    How will the address the horsepower to weight ratio issue? Rear wheel drive, guessing it will make for some spectacular burnouts but get its a** handed to it out of the hole. Don’t get me wrong, I think it would go a long ways in improving the aesthetics of the vehicle but seems there’s a little more at stake here.

9. FF Lusso Convertible

BANNED

Apr 3, 2021
    MIami
    Full Name:
    Tushar Patel
    The existing top is made of aluminum and fiberglass. It is being replaced by a cage, motor and canvass roof of similar weight to maintain the same horsepower to weight ratio.

308 milano likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    im glad you posted that video as no one was going to believe you after the (not very good) photoshop you originally posted.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Put it in the car crusher where it belongs ! lol Someone needs to be drug tested at Ferrari, im not sure who, before they do something even dumber , not that its going to matter anyhow.

Thank you

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s very south beachy. The purist will hate it but in Miami u got be seen and be different so it will sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MarinoPerformanceMotors

BANNED

Apr 22, 2021
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Spot on comment! In most places having a Ferrari is enough of a prestige. In Miami they are everywhere. High premium on differentiation and cache. Not to mention hauling around 3 adults in style.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Yep! Say hi to Gary if he still works with you! Nice guy!

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    So this is a 812 GTS wannabe? Geez.. money can't buy taste.

16. MarinoPerformanceMotors

BANNED

Apr 22, 2021
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Not at all. The operative motive was to share the V12 prancing horse experience with more than one passenger in a place that has 264 days of sunshine with friends, colleagues and family. Sharing an experience with those you care about is nice. The 812GTS is in a class by itself. The reference had to do with a lack of V12 alternatives that can accomplish a specific goal.

Boomhauer and anunakki like this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I would just save up the money for 812 GTS instead of butchering up the car. Well it's his money.

18. Ehett66

Ehett66 Rookie

Aug 26, 2011
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Eric R Hettlinger
  19. MarinoPerformanceMotors

BANNED

Apr 22, 2021
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Funny, we had the same discussion. As you may or may not know, the GTS is sold out for 5 years and has a 50% waiting list. The last one sold for $800K w/ 1600 mi. on it pe-owned in Palm beach with a 4 month wait to get it since Ferrari has a minimum 6 month hold requirement for the original buyer. To be an original buyer one must have an inside connection at Maranello. This is what happened with the 599 Aperta a decade ago. 599 Apertas sell now for well over $1M with a few thousand miles on them. GTS likely heading in the same direction. Buyers are far richer today than they were a decade ago. A GTS is indeed in a class by itself with no present day rival.

Our customer is not a tycoon, nor does he want a "garage queen" even if he wanted to spend $300K above sticker on pre-owned. He wants a daily driver that can hold people and reasonable stuff with a V12. Add in AWD and at any price, this car will be in a class by itself also for a different demographic. Apples to oranges.

If you have the means to buy a Ferrari, it might as well satisfy your desire to get what you need out of it. A GTS has a different buyer than an FF or GTC4 Lusso Convertible buyer regardless of purchasing power. We have customers interested in both.

Boomhauer and Stealthssfc like this.
  20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    IMO FF is better looking. Doesnt look like a 12 year old designed it.

IloveGT and willrace like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome! Look forward to the progress!

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #22 IloveGT, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    wrong. you may or may not know that 599 aperta is a true limited number car whereas 812 GTS is not. To say a regular production car can appreciate nearly as much as a limited production one is just either asinine or ignorant to your audience's common sense. Need inside connection with Marinello to get 812 GTS? lol. No you don't. Typical used car salesman. I let others chime in. But just don't get me started.

On a side note, I was recently offered 100k above MSRP for a DS one at few hundred miles, and I am in LA. The only sales pitch I received was none of your usual tactics except the last v12 convertible was 50 years ago.

I wonder if Ferrari would put a cease order to it, just like the Purrari car.

Bas likes this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #23 IloveGT, May 3, 2021
    A 12 year old is not smart enough to hide the Ferrari logo on the photoshopped one, but the applied artistic skillset is sure of one or younger.

I just cannot even imagine how the federal safety requirement is satisfied - to have feature that help prevent death if the car is flipped upside down in an accident. Others real convertibles are required to have one, as far as I know, except this one....

https://youtube.com/shorts/5DUtsKwUVB0?feature=share

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #24 paulchua, May 3, 2021
    @MarinoPerformanceMotors = @IloveGT does have a point. If your goal is appreciation, I would say the chances are next to nil for 3rd party conversion. It's happened quite often with 2+2

Think 456 Convertible and 412 convertible (both done aftermarket) you'll see the values have stayed relatively flat. (Stratman)

Now, here's the thing, I still applaud what you're doing; after all, this is what your client wants; more power to them! Who am I to judge what one does with their money if it brings them happiness and does not harm others?

So I wish you the best in your project and hope your client gets what they seek.

Kind regards.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s the thing: for splitting nearly half our time with Florida I can tell u that federal safety is not of a concern there, nor are speed limits;)

Boomhauer likes this.