Almost home and... | FerrariChat

Almost home and...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    BBi started balking at shifting into 2nd and third. After being parked for a few days I backed the car out of the garage to wash it and the gearbox is locked out of 2nd and 3rd gears. Reverse, 1st, 4th and 5th all engage just fine.
    Previous problem a couple of years ago was the car got stuck in 2nd, and could not be shifted from 2nd. Only after really jerking it out was I able to use all other gears but 2nd and 3rd. Adjustment on the shift rod inside the trans fixed the problem. No metal pieces were found in the gear oil either. And all syncro's work fine. No grinding etc. nor has the car been driven "hard". Speed shifts or dumping the clutch, that sort of thing. Anybody got any ideas as to what's happening?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    one of the srews for the forks may get loosen?
    is there a difference between shifting from 1st into 2nd or 3rd into 2nd or feel it the same? same question for up- and downshlfting into 3rd.
    you may remove the plate in the centerconsole and try the to shift. may be only the silentblock in the shift linkage has play?

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks for the suggestion..

The gearbox worked perfectly prior to the shifting becoming locked. I cannot shift 1st to 3rd, or 1st to 2nd, etc. Both 2nd and 3rd are "unselectable".

I've determined that the shifter rod and it's associated male selector tab(?) must be OK as it can move to 4th and 5th, and select each with no problem.

Also, 2nd and 3rd gear selector female tab must be stuck in it's neutral position in order for the shifter tab to move "thru" it to get to 4th and 5th.

I think if it was a "broken" syncro/gear tooth or some other component there would be some noise from the box?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    In addition to things being loose on the 2-3 selector rod causing issues, there is also a mechanical interlock system using "selector pins" that allows only one of the selector rods to be moved from its center neutral position at any time -- items 7 and 8 here:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/512-bbi/022-gearbox-controls

Don't have a copy of the Boxer WSM, but I believe the TR system is the same so see Fig 30 on page E33 of the TR WSM for a better figure of how pins 7 & 8 interact with holes/notches in the selector rods to achieve this mechanical safety interlock. I believe the Fig 30 section drawing shows the gearbox in 1st or R (preventing the 2nd-3rd selector rod #6 and the 4th-5th selector rod #3 from moving from their center positions), and the 1st-R selector rod #7 has a similar notch (not shown) as selector rod #3 when in neutral to allow the middle 2nd-3rd selection rod #6 to move when desired. Bottom line is that you probably need to get the side cover off, and determine if:
    1) something's loose on the 2nd-3rd selection rod,
    2) something's bad in the selector pin safety mechanism, or
    3) something's wrong in the 2-3 syncro selecting mechanism (I'm having a vague memory of a prior report of the spring-loaded centering pin and/or the pad being broken).

Supernaut likes this.