Stupid is as Stupid Does... | FerrariChat

Stupid is as Stupid Does...

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I know lot's of folks don't admit to stuff like this but I don't mind owning up to some occasional stupid moments; had one this morning. And it's doubly annoying when you do something stupid that you have done non-stupidly several times previously!

Along with the cam belts/other belts/coolant change, brake fluid change, I of course am going to change the oil. I was planning to change the engine oil this morning but now I am also changing the gearbox oil.

"Good, plan," I hear some folks saying...except it wasn't my plan. Wish I could say it was but it's because I forgot that the oil drain plug on the bottom of the sump is NOT the engine oil drain...:(

Yep, I drained the oil out of the transmission. Even then I didn't realize it until somewhat later when I pulled the dipstick to clean it off and noticed that it was still at the "full" mark. "How is that possible?" I was asking myself...then I had the "Aw S%$t!" moment.:mad:

Oh well... I went out and bought gear oil. The new gear oil looks no cleaner than the old gear oil!:rolleyes:

Note to self: "Consult the manual or other reference before you do some work that you haven't done recently, even if you think you know what you are doing."

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Were you able to fill the gearbox with the new oil? What would REALLY have ruined your day is if you drained the gearbox and then found that the fill plug was seized or stripped.

Word to anyone reading this: always remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug, just to be sure :p

tomberlin and tazz99 like this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Haven't tried yet - project for tomorrow. I have changed the tranny oil previously several times and put antisieze on the fill plug, most recently about 18 months ago so I expect (hope!) to have no trouble!:rolleyes: But you are absolutely right, if I was planning to drain the tranny oil, as opposed to accidentally :eek: draining the oil, I would have loosened the filler plug first. ;)

5. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh, I hate the smell of gear oil. No way could I drain that and not notice my mistake immediately based on the odor.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yep, quite right re the odor. All I can say in my defense is that Redline MTL (synthetic) does not have nearly as strong a "gear oil" odor as other gear oils I have used previously.

I'll be trying Lucas 75W90 synthetic this time because I had several qts of it on the shelf. BUT if it doesn't perform as well as the MTL did, I'll be changing the oil again very soon! FWIW, compared to the Motul gear oil that a shop in Maryland (and the PO) used, the MTL provided much smoother shifting and virtually NO resistance to shifting when cold to 2nd gear. I fear the Lucas won't match that but we'll see...

Saabguy likes this.
  7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The first time I changed gear oil in my car (Z28) I was 16 years old. I proceeded to unbolt the rear diff cover and it poured all over my head! Do you know hard it is to shampoo 90w out of your hair? I still hate gear oil to this day.

Saabguy, Cirorsi, tazz99 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Here is what my ignorance caused. This happened in the mid 70's. I was home from college with my '69 Galaxie with three on the tree. It had a bad bearing in the transmission so I removed the transmission and replaced the rear bearing after fighting with a large snap ring for quite a while. Next, I had to reinstall the transmission. I got under the car and attempted to thread the shaft through the throw out bearing and start one of the four bolts that held the transmission to the clutch housing. The Ford three speed was heavy and I could not hold the transmission in place and get the bolts started without dislodging the throw out bearing. I tried and tried with no success. Aha, I thought. I'll remove the cast iron cowling reducing the weight of the package to make the installation easier. I did that but when I shoved the transmission in place I noticed the output shaft had moved rearward - out of the transmission. I could not push it back in. Opened up the transmission and noticed a bunch of needle bearings were loose in the bottom. $#%^&! !! I took the transmission to the local Ford dealership. They put the transmission back together for me.

So I was left with the same problem and time running out having to get back to school 275 miles away. Finally came up with the idea of getting two threaded rods made of soft steel at Lowes or somewhere -don't remember where. I threaded the 3 foot rods into the lower two bolt holes in the clutch housing and bent the rods downward. I was able to walk the heavy transmission up the rods and got the thing back together.

Saabguy, mike996 and 308 milano like this.
  9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #9 mike996, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Nice job with the threaded rods! :) It's interesting to find all the "shade tree" ways of doing something that work just fine!

Re removing the tranny fill plug - I had no problem removing it with 1/2" drive socket/18" breaker bar other than the PITA of removing the inner wheel well cover. For some reason that side has always been much more difficult to remove than the other. Every time I remove that side I wonder if the factory got a deal on slightly oversize left-side covers and then built the cars around them. :)

I was going to fill it with the Lucas 75W90 synthetic that I have here but I think I've changed my mind and will order some MTL for the refill. I don't want to do this again in a couple of weeks if the Lucas doesn't shift as nicely as the MTL... ;)

Hmm..what if the Lucas can shift even better? :rolleyes:

derekw likes this.
  10. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Ah Mike: I nice thread and I was "hoping" you'd try the Lucas, it would be a logical test with controlled variables...
    In other words: Same car, same driver, but variables are: Motul vs. MTL vs. Lucus but don't do it for me :)
    v/r Paul

FWIW: I would crash the servers if I listed all the things that I've done on F-cars before, and forget the next time around...

Saabguy likes this.
  11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I was curious about the Lucas but not enough to encourage that folly :)

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I seriously thought about going ahead with the Lucas - and it may work great - but I'm going to go down the chicken-S%$T road and use what I know from personal experience works well on my car. If it was a easier to get to the fill plug - no wheel/inner fender removal - I'd do it for the "database" but lazy wins out!

maurice70 likes this.
  13. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    The first time I changed the gear oil I went over tutorials and guides had the paper in front of me so I wouldn't mistake the gear oil for the engine oil.

And I STILL almost drained the wrong one. I think I might add a small yellow paint mark to one or the other... of course then I'd still have to remember hehe... they're just so close and so similar I can totally understand your mistake.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Are the covers no more labelled "cambio" and "motore" in raised cast letters like on the earlier cars?

Best from Germany
    Martin

15. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    From memory,I think mine are marked OLIO and CAMBIO on my '79 car. Its not on a lift right now, and don't feel like getting down and looking under the car. :)

Doug

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    These are my two old damaged covers still good as garage wall art :) Olio Cambio & Olio Motore on my carb car as well:

Best from Germany
    Martin

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yes, they are labeled the same way on my 328.- I changed the oil, just like it says in Italian... "Cambio Olio" - "Change Oil!" :rolleyes:

OK. seriously, never even looked at the label. I was under the car which was JUST high enough to get to the bolt/slide an oil-change container underneath.

ALSO -re the oil I went ahead and installed the Lucas Synthetic 75W90 gear oil after saying I wouldn't. So far, with just around-the- neighborhood type of driving, I can't tell any difference in shifting. Not to say there wouldn't be any difference with spirited driving but I haven't had the chance to do that and won't until next weekend. We're going out of town, returning next Saturday.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I ended up being able to do some serious runs/shifting with engine/oil up to full temp. I can't tell any difference between the Redline and the Redline MTL as far as shifting. From cold it goes into 2nd with no problem, just as the Redline did and the Motul didn't. So I wouldn't hesitate to put the Lucas in again, next time.

I have no idea, of course, whether Lucas will do as well as the MTL over long-term usage. IOW, will it shift as well in two years as the Redline did after two years?

19. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Glad I'm not the only one that's done this! When I figured out what I had done, I just said to myself, Look nobody needs to know! I filed it under speeding on the freeway when there is nobody else around - Nobody needs to know!

20. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I have the same issue on my 83 GTB QV.
    The left-side wheel well is a PITA to remove and to put back.