Any one else reading Linkage Magazine? | FerrariChat

Any one else reading Linkage Magazine?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Bigilo, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    So I received in the mail several months ago a free sample publication named "Linkage". I don't know if they got my info from FCA or where ever but the subject matter in the articles are are exactly the type of stuff I personally want to read about. Mainly high-end classic sports cars stories about value, restorations, racing and social events. I subscribed and received my second edition about a month ago and it's the same type of articles and stories. It reminds me of Robb Report magazine with the volume of information and shear weight of the paper. Something about holding a nicely made magazine is present to me. I thought I would share and see if anyone else is enjoying it as much as I am.
    (I have no financial interests in this publication, full disclosure:))

Here is their website.
    https://linkagemag.com/

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I've seen & had the the first two issues. I was not impressed. Much prefer combination of Magneto and Octane for great content and production values, and they cover a lot. If I want market information I'll look to Hagerty or Sports Car Market. Also... there is another a new bimonthly magazine coming to market very soon which is "The Chase."

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I read the first two issues courtesy of Marshall. Not impressed. Won’t be subscribing.

Lusso123 likes this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I couldn’t find any mention of The Chase on line except a magazine on fox hunting.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It hasn't shown up on any magazine stands in this area. Is it only sold online?

7. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    I asked for a sample and they sent me both issue 1 and issue 2 - issue 3 should be released anytime this month if I recall correctly.
    Due to high shipping cost to Europe I ask them to sent it to my US address, but I can't go there till next month, so no real idea of what's inside. Let you know as soon as I get my hands on it.

More info on that? Link to a website or IG page?
    Thanks!

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ok, here's info on The Chase. This magazine actually originates from MESH New England magazine which has been around on the East Coast of the USA for the past 10 years, and is now transforming...substantially expanding coverage across the country, and overseas too. Here is the link for The Chase which is still tied to the Mesh New England website for the moment. www.meshnewengland.com/the-chase-announcement

Jack-the-lad and ChoroQ like this.
  9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    One oops on my part...I forgot to mention that I have been writing the model car review column for MESH since 2012, and have agreed to continue this with/for The Chase.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I don't know if they are planning Newsstand sales at this point (have not asked), but it will at least be available by subscription, and the first issue has gone to press - is at the printer right now. If you go to the link I posted above, then you should be able to get to a subscription page.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I requested a sample copy as well, but received no response, so, no subscription from me!:)

Seriously, I found it inferior in just about every way to Magneto and The Road Rat.

Lusso123 likes this.
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I also intensely dislike the Linkage website. Looks cheap, too many conflicted design elements, reminds me of the giant illustrated menus at some diners, etc. :eek: They have tried to cram everything into the home page... it's sort of a copy of the Sports Car Market website, which is not a surprise given that the people in charge are all ex-SCM personnel.

ChoroQ likes this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I requested a copy of the first issue of Strada but it looks like that isn’t happening. If I receive it I’ll post my impressions here.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    Probably I was lucky as they didn't reply to me instantly but after a couple weeks.

Not even to tell, they're just another league! To me, TRR and 000 Mag (Porsche centered) are absolutely the purest expression of what a car magazine should be.

Honestly I wanted something from the market's point of view, just to change the subject.. and Linkage has just been released, so I wanted a try. Probably I'll be disappointed, but I wanted a try.

At the end, I bought a subscription directly profit to a little discount. I received issue 1 last week but I did not have time yet to read, just browse through it and read some quotes. Surely I can say size is nice and quite massive, few advertising and quite long articles.

Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #15 Gatorrari, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Wayne Carini was handing out copies of issue #3 (and autographing them, if requested) at the Chattanooga Motorcar Festival yesterday. I decided that I liked it well enough to subscribe. Ferrari content included an article by Chuck Queener on the art of Alfredo De la Maria, one by Marshall Buck on models of the Dino 246, and one by Leigh Dorrington on the photography of Messieurs. Cahier (father and son). The web address is now www.thechasemagazine.com.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I obtained the first two issues (not from the publisher, who never responded to my request) but wasn’t impressed enough to subscribe.

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Gatorrari said:
    Wayne Carini was handing out copies of issue #3 (and autographing them, if requested) at the Chattanooga Motorcar Festival yesterday. I decided that I liked it well enough to subscribe. Ferrari content included an article by Chuck Queener on the art of Alfredo De la Maria, one by Marshall Buck on models of the Dino 246, and one by Leigh Dorrington on the photography of Messieurs. Cahier (father and son). The web address is now www.thechasemagazine.com.

Jack, I think (but could be wrong) that you are referring to the first two copies of "Linkage" magazine.... Jim's quote you referenced was about a completely different magazine, "The Chase." Were you referring to both or just "Linkage?"

Also note; Linkage is published quarterly and The Chase is bimonthly.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You’re right, of, course, Marshall. I was thinking of Linkage. Thanks for the correction. I guess I shouldn’t be posting after midnight.....:rolleyes:

Apologies for my error.:oops:

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I wish that these magazines were all sold on the newsstand so that I could look at and buy individual issues if I liked the content. That is the case with Automobilsport, which I've bought about 1/3 of all the issues, off the newsstand. In the case of Magneto, I've bought every issue so far, so I suppose I'd be better off subscribing. I bought every issue of Enzo, and the only issue of Strada.

But The Road Rat is not sold on the newsstand; the one issue I ordered I did not like at all, and it's not sold on the newsstand, so I don't know what I might be missing. Among other magazines not sold on the newsstand, my favorite is Hagerty, which of course is only available to their clients.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    There are various pros & cons to putting a magazine on newsstands. It is not cut and dry. Some publications will never go onto newsstands, and some have gone back and forth with that. Cavallino was an example of on again/off again neewsstand presence.

With our publication (AutoMobilia) we were subscription only in the beginning, and did not go onto newsstands until issue #11; and like I wrote, there are definite pros & cons to being there.

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    All good. No harm, been there done that myself! And I also try not to post after cocktail hour. :D

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just got a copy in the mail #6. It is thick and they have tons of advertisers, so maybe it will have legs. Some big names involved Jay Leno and Zak Brown. Wayne Carini not listed at all.

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I signed up for a complimentary subscription on the Hyman web site about a month ago. So far, nothing.

24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    A lot of the ads were given at deep discounts to try to reel in the advertisers, and there is a someone with very deep pockets funding that magazine for the time being.

Carini is not listed since he has his own magazine, 'The Chase," which is published bimonthly (6 issues per year), and while not has thick, it is more frequent, and has much better production values.

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Linkage sent me a survey…..but they still haven’t sent me a magazine.:rolleyes: