F355 Market | Page 233 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not sure they ever did? Was it just Ferrari of San Francisco? Interesting enough that's the sister dealership of Boardwalk and Steve, however, I think the service shops act independently of each other.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I remember a discussion of Ferrari going from a 3 to 5 year recommendation. In 2016, Brian Crall mentions it went from 5 to 3 lol. I don’t what’s going on over there, but the recommendation today is 5 and I’m 99% sure it used to be 3 (by official Ferrari guidelines) at some point.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-actually-had-a-timing-belt-snap-on-an-f355.520202/page-4

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That blog by Ferrari of San Francisco was written in 2013. I’m sure they all acted under the same guidelines Ferrari gave at the time. If we call Ferrari of SF today, I’m sure they’ll say 5 years.

4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Said like he knows what he is talking about.

I am a “when I feel like it, unless I have a concern.” 7 years is about right. Steve nailed it about the buyer and seller (3). I think I will just do mine when the spirit moves me. I am 2-3 years away from an “official” guidance. No plans to sell. Would probably do to get too dollar before selling or include in the price.

I think the cars bringing big money have had it done in the last 1-2 years.

Pretty impressed with the Boardwalk pricing and that seems really appealing. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW and rob lay like this.
  5. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I bought my car with an 8 month old major from a reputed but unknown to me mechanic. After 9 months I sent the car to my trusted mechanic for some cosmetic work and an annual and he advised the car immediately needed another major due to a severely faulty cam seal. I could have ignored him/2nd opinion, but then what’s the point of having a trusted mechanic. Moral of story, a belt service from anyone other than yourself or the mechanic who will be maintaining the car going forward really is not worth a ton at the time of sale- would way rather buy a car that’s due for service.

SAFE4NOW and rob lay like this.
  6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ^^^^point taken. Human error is the downfall of most critical services and failures. Dealer would stand behind that more than a “mechanic”

Cheers!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  8. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What’s warranty time of a dealer belt service?

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Good question :). @SAFE4NOW

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    2 years unlimited miles

S

Wsmatau, carnutdallas, bcar1 and 2 others like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, so I have some more info to share from an independents perspective, James at Norwoods Auto Italia. @SAFE4NOW, James, and I are all friends with each other so this is cool. :)

Steve is doing a great thing here, he has put together a major package that's clear what all they do, at a rate 20-30% less than other dealers, and has a 2 year parts & labor warranty. Kudos Steve!

James has done 500+ majors from these era cars and he's so busy right now, he really hasn't needed to market majors beyond current customers and word of mouth.

James looked over Boardwalks major sheet and noted that his would run about $750 more. In addition (Steve can confirm what they do) Norwoods degrees the cam timing, does overall tune like throttle, and "paint the valve covers with fresh red wrinkle and use new cap nuts. Also clean up the engine and engine bay".

I think Steve would agree with James statement "These jobs rarely stop there and normally need additional stuff like on your spider."

The 2 year warranty is great marketing for Boardwalk and provides great peace of mind to the customer. I'm not sure exactly at Norwoods, but I don't believe they have anything that formalized. I do know after working with Norwoods for 20 years they have always paid for faulty parts within a couple years and specific example I kept having an AC belt fail and would take a few components out with it. Norwoods ate about $3-4k over a couple years to get that right for me.

So everything will be a little +/-, but appears a quality major on a 355 from a dealer or highest reputation independent is in the $8k range. That said because you are going through everything and engine out, most of the time there are items discovered beyond the major.

carnutdallas and SAFE4NOW like this.
  12. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    i do think bradan quoted me a 2yr warranty on their major service but don’t hold me to that

JSinNOLA and rob lay like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  14. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Looks like my 95 355 spider is a no sell. Dealer was willing to negotiate. He saw I was looking for a quality car. He actual told me this car is not for you. I see you are looking for one of a higher quality and you would be disappointed with this one. Thank him for his professionalism. It is truly refreshing to have a salesman care about a satisfied customer and not just' sell a car". If anyone is looking for a nice Ferrari they have several. Also a 63 Lusso that is stunning at $1.6 million CDN.
    Automobile Etcetera in Montreal. I think they will treat you right. The hunt continues.

ShineKen likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/ctd/d/palm-desert-1997-ferrari-f355-spider/7311580811.html

16. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ShineKen likes this.
  17. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    ShineKen, Thanks for the tip. Looks like a really nice car. I am partial to the black interior cars. Going to stick with that.
    Mike

ShineKen likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Julia, SAFE4NOW, mymelody12 and 2 others like this.
  19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is market related. What are y’all’s thoughts on selling parts to cars / separating parts from cars. Meaning I have a bunch of spares and interesting tidbits. Like wheels to my car. I will never put them on. Worth about $3k. Don’t need the money, but probably worth it to have them? I have wheels, tires and spares for Ferrari’s, Porsche’s, BMW’s and Vettes. Need to clean up. Tired of spares. Not building any more cars and not really buying anymore. Simplify and sell?

Robb displays his stuff, has lots of room and makes sense. Others have businesses that need back stock or options. I am thinking about my future life when my wife retires. I plan on putting cars at different locals as needed / wanted. I am tired of stuff! So does the market prefer all the stuff to go with the car or just the car (books and tools of course).

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think it depends on the level of car you have. If it's relatively lower miles or something that would be attractive in fully original condition to a buyer, then having all the stock parts is probably going to help the sale.

I'm at the same crossroads with some of my stuff. Worst case you're paying up for it if you're returning the car to stock...but at that point it would mean it makes economic sense to do so anyway.

If you have the space, store it. If not...maybe best to just declutter.

carnutdallas likes this.
  21. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    if you decide to unload anything for a 355 or 964 I would be happy to help you with that. Just let me know what you’ve got!

carnutdallas likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Classifieds section could use a boost :)

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  24. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    only way it was going <100 is w a racing stripe :)

ShineKen likes this.
  25. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    This is high miles but stick and early, pretty cool for a 355 beater if there is such a thing. And can probably nego that price. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk