This plan of Jaguar to bring back twelve E-types--what are they putting in their tea> | FerrariChat

This plan of Jaguar to bring back twelve E-types--what are they putting in their tea>

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Apr 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I like the idea--the factory refurbishing some old beaters but seems to me they are going a bit over the top when they say the first one will be $450,000 and don't say what the second one will be priced at and oh yes, you have to buy them by the pair, a coupe and a roadster.
    Then too, only twelve cars in all which means six lucky buyers. But what if you only want one? Who will want to pay that much for an "as new" car that's not strictly configured as in '61? Because they are painting them colours not available in '61, you are in effect buying a car that will not be able to score top points in its class at an event like Pebble because it's not original as per 1961 specs.
    Truth be told, Jaguar you see, old chap, is presently adrift in heavy seas, Land Rover sales keeping them afloat yet Tata, the new owners, have pledged to make no more internal combustion engines from 2025 on, which means they will have to give it bit of stick to reach that goal. Wasting time by refurbishing old beaters is not consistent with the challenge that lies before them...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Easy money. Free publicity.

3. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Well, it's a free world so I guess they can do whatever they want if there are buyers for those things.
    Personally I find them like 1:1 scale models made to meet someone's idea about the whole Geneva 1961 launch.

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/jaguar-classic/authentic-cars/e-type-60-collection.html

The most disturbing details that I think are sort of (again) forgetting how things really were, are: (in no specific order)

* There were THREE cars at the Geneva show. #885005 was Opal. Gunmetal with a Beige interior (Connolly VM.3234, very light) and it was the car at the launch in Parc des-Eaux-Vives and later at the show in the Palais Expo on the carpet. I know it makes sense not to make a set of three cars (or does it?) but still they (Jaguar Cars, Jaguar Classic, Jaguar Heritage) always seem to "forget" that there were three cars at the Geneva launch, not just two.

* "77 RW" #850003 was RHD and still is. If they really wanted to create a "diorama" of the cars at the backlot of the Geneva show available for test drives, then they could at least have the steering wheel on the correct side of the car.

* The names of the paints are just totally irrelevant, and the interior too. I have yet to see a contemporary picture of a car, where factory made Black interior (Connolly VM.8500) would not be perfectly smooth. Likewise you can not tell the difference between that dark green paint and the BRG that was on #850003 in 1961, and even less the difference between the new whatever-they-decided-to-call-it grey metallic paint and the Opalescent Gunmetal that was on #885002 and #885005 in 1961. I have been looking at these cars for decades and collecting paint samples and references and I can not tell the difference between #885002 and #885006, the car that was in the French launch event in Monte Carlo (arranaged by Delecroix) although the later car was NOT Opal. Gunmetal, but Opalescent Silver Grey, a different colour. In photos they all look the same, the easiest way to pick #885005 in original photos, even B&W is the fact that it had a Beige interior which you can easily see even through the glass. (When both #885002 and #885006 had Black interiors.)

What they got right, is that "9600 HP" #885002 of course back then was LHD. :)

And if you want an "Outside Bonnet Latch" coupé you can actually drive, there are not that many options. Rarer (but much cheaper) than a real 250 GTO. :D

Cheers!

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    guess theyre getting tired of seeing eagle, singer, etc make big bucks while manufacturer gets nothing. i think they should go step further and put in an electric drivetrain and offer a production run of them.
    btw, what ever happened to ipace electric car? i never saw one on street but it looked really nice at a car show few yrs ago. is it even being made?

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    They're still making a couple but it hasn't sold well. Its a good car, but its expensive, the range is too small, there is no charging network for it, very little advertising for it and the dealers don't want to sell it or know how to service it.

tritone likes this.
  6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Oh we do see them around here, basically last year, in Northern Europe JLR was basically just selling SUV’s, to me the I-PACE is a compact electric SUV.

The people I know who have one, love it. But I can not understand why they (Jaguar or JLR) have not done a sleek sporty sports car that would be all electric, like the Taycan is, or hybrid like the SF90.

They sold ONE F-type last year over here in Finland, and about one dozen of XE’s. No XF’s at all and the rest is F-PACE, E-PACE etc.

Anyone who doesn’t want a Tesla gets a Taycan. They (JLR) are too slow to change the game, just like they lost the market in Europe to MB, Audi and BMW because it took way too long to have a Diesel, now it would need to be all-electric, or at least hybrid. Taxes kill the large petrol (gas) engines.

Cheers!

95spiderman likes this.
  7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nissan / Datsun tried this with the 240Z, and while an absolutely fascinating project, it didn't really pan out. Still very cool though.

Wonder if it will push up the value of my E? :)