Garage door opener Liftmaster 850W anyone tried theese? | FerrariChat

Garage door opener Liftmaster 850W anyone tried theese?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Freddan, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    As the title says, I'm in the process of building a new garage. Foundation is almost done.

Been looking at theese motors for the doors and wonder if any of you have had any experience?

Thanks // Fredrik

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I have five of them and they are fantastic. We installed them as part of a new build. The remote lights are a bit goofy but logical. The WiFi integration is good. And they take up a lot less overhead space and are less of an eyesore than traditional openers.

moysiuan likes this.
  3. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I have one. It’s quiet and the user interface on the wall panel/door opener works well. I like the remote light because you can place it pretty much anywhere you want in the garage and not just center/middle like most. No complaints so far.

mac109 and gt1995 like this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have three of them. Be sure to specify that you want the risers that keep the door close to the ceiling. The jackshaft door lifts are simpler and have less failure modes than the traditional chain drive systems.

Oh, you need an electrical outlet near the ceiling on one side of the door.

moysiuan and gt1995 like this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just get bumpers as well

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. bradford4809

bradford4809 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2014
    virginia
    I have one. Works great, much cleaner look than standard openers.

Freddan and gt1995 like this.
  7. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    Bumpers?

I also need 3 of them.

Ok, do you can get a model that's closer to the ceiling?

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have seen in some applications after motor stops there will be slack in pull wire because door keeps going up with the force of the springs

11. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Yes, and I agree with all of the above .....BUT... one of my doors failed on one side about ten days ago. It was easily diagnosed to a failure of the control module in the wall mounted controller shipped as part of the kit - Model No. 888LM - but what made it easy to trace was the fact that there were numerous threads online documenting the failure of this item, so many that it led Liftmaster to redesign the part (889LM) and offer replacements free of charge. In some instances it had disastrous consequences - people coming home to an open garage door and their dogs running around the neighborhood, doors going up and down in the middle of the night like they were possessed by poltergeists, etc.. The short term fix is to unplug the motor while waiting for the replacement or away from home for an extended period. If you go with this opener (which is terrific otherwise), be sure your installation includes the updated module.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    As mentioned above, there have been past problems with these units. I have three and had the problem mentioned with it opening the door in fail mode (on two different units), not something we want to happen. I contacted them and they did provide the replacements at no cost. Otherwise they are a nice operating unit.

14. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I have 2 of the units and they are great! I have has a couple failures of the control panel (door button) but replacements were mailed to me in a couple days under warranty. Mine were pretty close to the introduction and they had some circuit board issues. Use "quiet rollers" for the doors with sleeves. I also had the "high lift" kit installed that sends the door very close to the ceiling. Money well spent.

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    We have two in a detached garage we built recently. Sometimes, they re-open after they are all the way down, the main reason for this is because of the weight of the all wood doors and we just have to reset them. Usually, happens after massive temp changes, etc.

Besides this, there aren’t any downsides. I wouldn’t use the lights that come with them and instead would put the ceiling lights if on a motion sensor instead.

Here are some pics. We also had custom done tracks and trimmed all the excess off the rear as well, for a clean look. I believe the bottom of the track is 4 inches off the ceiling, can’t get much closer!

Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and Freddan like this.
  16. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Oh great - another thread that will cost me $5k (I have four doors).

JLF and Freddan like this.
  17. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

Erik,

Just the look im after! tracks tight to the ceiling and electric outlets just beside the motors.

did you have the 850w motors also?

Thank you for sharing. // Fredrik

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes, we have the 850w motors. We didn’t put them on battery backup as the entire garage is on the houses backup generator. But, if I remember correctly they do have a battery backup option available as well.

We did get power actuated garage door locks (it’s the black box to the left of the door about half way up in the last photo). In the second to last photo I posted previously the black wall mounted unit between the window and garage door is a 3000 kw electric heater. The logistics of running gas weren’t going to work for us, and the goal was just to keep it around 50 during the winter.

Not sure the rest of your garage plans, but put a lot of lights in! You can never have to many! Here is another couple shots of our build.

Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, Jack-the-lad and ewright like this.
  19. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    We are in an early stage just finished the foundation this Thursday. I'm drawing and building it myself to keep costs down.
    Got some time of work to focus on this the 4 upcoming weeks.

Some treatment left on the concrete before I start building the framework in the middle of next week.

Size is 19 x 7.8 meter with carport included. The garage itself is 15x7.8 meter

Yes! It will be a lot of lights! Bigger dimmable Led lights (think it was over 30 pc /15w) so ceiling will be all nice and flat. It's 3 garagedoors. The door tracks will be powdercoated white to melt in better. Built in Roof speakers, Also built in lights in all windows etc.

Here in Sweden, no one puts shaft-motors on their garagedoors for private garages (only if it's an industrial area/standard) we use middle-mounted ones in the ceiling always. (Wich makes no sense to me)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Teenferrarifan likes this.
  20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Wow! Looks great and congrats on the progress so far. Good luck and if you need anything at all let me know.... The clean appearance of the shaft motors AND the tracks being against the front wall and ceiling are reason enough to use them in my book.

Everyone that goes in ours is amazed that the door is so close to the ceiling, haha. Also, when we do install the lifts in the future it will make all the difference.

Erik

moysiuan and Freddan like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m about to replace my overhead units with Liftmasters so I’m very interested in everybody's comments.

Thanks,

22. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

Erik,

If ok with you i reach out later on when it´s time for garagedoor motors and perhaps you can help me buy and ship 3 motors over? (i´ll send you PM also)

Thank you very much // Fredrik

Teenferrarifan likes this.
  23. mac109

mac109 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Connecticut/Florida
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have 2 of the 8500's with battery backups, automatic locks, WiFi, and wireless lights...agree with all of the comments here and very happy with door operation.

They are extremely quiet. I replaced my doors with insulated doors to help keep the Florida heat out...direct sunlight on the doors turned the garage into a sauna. I've also had most of the issues commented here...door control circuit board issues, automatic locking failures (the strike mechanism is made of plastic and breaks). As noted, Liftmaster has replaced these items even when out of warranty. The other feature that I really like is the ability to open/close the doors remotely allowing people entry to the house without having to be there or giving out codes...I have cameras to watch! MYQ wifi also sends a notification when doors open and close which led me to realize I had these circuit board problems with inadvertent openings. Battery backups are a must during power outages as doors are too heavy to lift manually.

Its not easy to see in the photo, but my "bumpers" prevent the door from running off the rails should something happen. My rails were raised to approx 12 inches from the ceiling (Height about 11 ft).

Highly recommend...