430 - Scud carbon fiber headlight hazing | FerrariChat

430 Scud carbon fiber headlight hazing

Discussion in '360/430' started by DeTomasoGTS74, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has anyone sent their headlamps in to clear corners to restore them? I had read about Premier and California but that over time but hazing would come back. My understanding is premier would not remove the UV coating but that clear corners will. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Timely question for me... I am considering sending my headlights off to clear corners this summer. If not them, then who can do them?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Premier did one of mine. They do remove the UV coating on the inside...you have to for a nice, clean result. It has been five years, and I have only the faintest signs the hazing is coming back. I had another shop (forget the name) that did my other headlight and they did NOT remove the UV coating. As soon as it came back it was obvious their job was inferior, and still looked bad, but they refused redo the job and remove the UV coating. Four years later, and it now looks even worse...I need to send it to Premier (or Clear Corners...never heard of them). It does not matter who does the job, it will return, but according to the owner at Premier, it will come back more slowly and not nearly as bad when done properly and removing the UV coating. My experience tells me he is correct. There is no magic to this job. What you are paying for is the skill of the shop to separate the lens from the housing without damaging either, then clean and polish the interior lens, then reassemble and seal it.

Please post link to Clear Corners for future reference.

Here is the link to Premier: http://www.premiermotorsport.us/home

ShineKen, Pedro MD and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  4. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the insight! Below is the link to clear corner and in speaking with the owner today, supposidly its a mold that grows on the hard coating under the light as it begins to break down. He came to this conclusion viewing under a microscope. I would think (hope) that if the hard coating the mold focuses on is removed that the mold (crazing) would not come back.

Risk appears to be once hard coating is removed it is impossible to polish out the inside on the lens 100% perfect given the softness of the polycarbonate. Great, honest owner.

http://clearcorners.com/products/ferrari/f430/h_lamp1r/

Pedro MD and f355spider like this.
  5. Pedro MD

Pedro MD Rookie

Sep 22, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Pedro
    I need to do this eventually as well. Also I have any annoying dead moth trapped inside my headlight. Anyone have any idea what the going price is for a job like this?

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Somewhere between 2000 and 2500 depending on where you go

Pedro MD likes this.
  7. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I paid $2500 for both lights not including the price to pull them and reinstall. I picked up a spare set of carbon fiber Scud headlamps as well. I figure they’re not making them anymore....

Pedro MD likes this.
  8. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My headlights are literally a year old and hazed up. I'm told that you need to turn the headlights on after you wash the car to dry out the moisture.

9. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    hair dryer 1X year

10. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What does a hair dryer do once a year?

11. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It kills the mold (hazing), but my experience was that the mold comes back quickly (weeks, not a year).

Perminant fix is to polish out the inside coating completely that the mold grows on.

12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is it too difficult of a task to remove the covers ourselves? I remember back in the day, we'd bake them on other cars to seperate it.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Casey

What did you use to remove the uv protection and what polish did you use ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk