Shake up to Aston Martin Management - Palmer out? | FerrariChat

Shake up to Aston Martin Management - Palmer out?

Discussion in 'British' started by Pawilly, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Share price has gone from 545.75 at launch in October 2018 to 35.46 at Friday's close. Impressive performance?!!!

I wonder how much longer AM can rely on yet another backer with more money than sense popping up every time it is about to go bust?

psych0hans and 71Satisfaction like this.
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    About time...

what should they focus on to get back to success and profit?

I say drop the mid engine Ferrari competition

What direction will stroll take them in? Trying to sell to amg?

Robb

3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    There was a discussion thread somewhere, maybe a year ago.. asking whether AM was an investment opportunity. I put AMGDF on my 'Watch List' and followed it from $4.30 to $2.30 and sliding further down ... then last week a whipsaw between $0.80 to $0.45.. interesting to watch.
    - Art

psych0hans likes this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I trust you didn't buy.

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Aston is dead, they just don't know it yet.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Aston has an enviable reputation for coming back from the dead. It has an amazingly strong brand (primarily due to the 007 link), but is not very good at making cars!

Fennicus likes this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #8 71Satisfaction, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    You trust correctly. There just wasn't a time when there was enough clarity in stability and growth.

Short-term gains can be found in the volatility though, if one has the stomach to gamble on Stroll doing something positive, or a respected Successor being announced, to boost the share price. This morning it has whipped from $0.49 to $0.74.. then down to $0.55 - so there was a quick 30% for those with iron stomachs.

psych0hans likes this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good luck!

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Astons are cool, or were. The previous vantage v8 was something special. The deer acts are fine but what’s their usp, it’s not styling or performance.
    Astons need to be stunningly beautiful with a bulldog stance, where’s that in the new cars?

a tie up with amg whee they become the non Germanic Mercedes wngineesd cats could be something. Not sure where that leaves the current shareholders.

in the end Aston can always sell 2500 cars so can maclaren. Problem si they need 10 k per anum volume to make sense. Or they wed their development costs amortized by a mass manufacturer .

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    There's too much competition in their price range to be sustainable as an independent. It will only work if they were owned by a bigger company like Mercedes. I think they did really well with their top models like the One-77 and upcoming Valkyrie, but obviously those are low production. Maybe they need to just ditch the idea of being a mass producer and do boutique small market stuff like that.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Aston needs to go bak to boutique, and be part of mecedes amg so development costs are shared and amortized. Then well have some really cool looking characterful brit cars, that are otherwise amgs. Worked in the lux segment for bently and rolls, can work in the Lux/Gt and sprtscar segment for aston.

This is their heritage and it still pulls. Elegant stylish cars is what aston needs to so. Designing supras like the new vantage does not work, andey cant afford development costs. I do think their new SUV is the nicest suv out there by far and it may well do well.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/28/aston-martin-db5-goldfinger-continuation-james-bond/

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think they need to follow Porsche and focus on Sedan and SUV and one V8 Coupe/Vert - they dont have what it takes to compete with Ferrari

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    shame the Rapide never took off, it was gorgeous but just too impractical.

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Good afternoon all,
    Did anyone continue watching AMGDF? It simply became too good to pass up - despite the volatility there seemed to be a floor to the value - so I chanced a couple of buys at low points in March/April. The stock has done well overall... now let's see whether the DBX can regain them enough sustainable revenue.
    Any predictions?
    - Art

15. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Yup, I bought some ARGGY. My thoughts are summative: Fire old CEO, hire AMG CEO, investment from Stroll syndicate, investments from Toto Wolff, Domenicali (and Vettel), AMG engine deal in street cars, re-branding of Racing Point as Aston Martin F1. I have a ton of respect for Mr. Stroll as a businessman and marketer. He's definitely lined this up, and all within 12 months. We'll see.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  16. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Spot on. Stroll never was loser and wants to take AML very far. Plus, read, Mercedes is considering a 20 % investment from current 5%. Aston F1 power units, and most of the street motors and electronics are Mercedes.

Fennicus and 71Satisfaction like this.
  17. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Yup, and just now a Board shake-up.

Ex-McLaren and Ford directors added to the mix.

I love it, it's chess not checkers.

:)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A thought.
    In the electric car era which is fast approaching, brand and brand heritage will be the differentiators.
    All electrics will be blindingly fast and their powertrains not a point of differentiation. Intangibles like feel, styling tactility of interiors and heritage are what will differentiate amongst the luxury brands.
    It’s like all those watch brands owned by swatch, they all have the eta movement , but the casing and heritage are what differentiate and fetch a premium.

as powertrains will be largely off the rack, and reliable, Aston can concentrate on styling feel and interiors. That’s where I’d be spending my money and wouldnt spend another $ on ice, leave that to Ferrari.

Flash G likes this.
  19. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name: