Brake Hose question | FerrariChat

Brake Hose question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    After 5 months in pieces, I FINALLY get to drive my redhead yesterday, only to have 3 cool brake rotors and one very warm one. I think my factory rubber hoses are breaking down inside and the passenger front one isn't fully releasing. I had some trouble getting my monodado nut loose on that one, although the others were all the same torque 1000 miles previous, likely that one is getting warmer than the others and was harder to get loose.

Anyway, my question. I have an early 88 car that has a LOT of early parts on it. My gearbox is an 85, my cradle is an 86, water pump is still multi piece, suspension arms are all tubular welded versus the later stamped, etc. and I see the Goodridge brake line kit is either:

85-87 Testarossa/GTO SS/BK (whatever that means?) OR
    87-92 Testarossa

I'm leaning towards thinking my car would fit the 85-87 line kit? Does anyone know the difference between the two sets and how I would identify which to order? There is a 4 week lead time, which plants me firmly mid-season/June before I would have the car sorted again. I can't wait for the 'good years' of just enjoying my car....hoping I've earned some good mojo on this one.

Thanks all, appreciate the guidance!

Cassidy

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    have you serviced the caliper in that one yet?

3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    It's possible it is a caliper issue but all 4 were rebuilt a few years back. I didn't see any evidence of seizing, corrosion or damage when I replaced brake pads 1300 miles ago. It is acting like a brake line, based on my experience with other cars doing similar..

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Very weird as all TR and GTO SPCs say the that 4 flexible lines are 116373 = 330mm length. However, on this page:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/116373

Maranello Concessionaires has a note that TR use 137313 = 360mm length? They also have an inexpensive substitute for the 330mm length so you could:

1) Measure the length of the line that you need, and if 330mm, just buy one relatively inexpensive 977802 to see if it resolves the problem before purchasing the Goodridge kit, and/or

2) Measure the lengths of all your lines and ask Goodridge for the length(s) of the lines in those two different kits.

5. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I just assumed I HAD to go with Goodridge but now you have me thinking.....checked on Superformace UK's page....more confused than ever! They are selling a set of 8 hoses? 8? What, so I can do hoses on two TR's? Best I can tell I only have 4 hoses total, right? Geesh, I need to raise the car up and look but I know there are only single hoses on the back. So strange why they'd sell a kit of 8. And no distinction on size.

Thanks for the tips as always, I'll lift the car and measure them later today. Fingers crossed it is the shorter sized hoses.

https://www.superformance.co.uk/flat12/brakes.html

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why not use steel flex brake lines?

7. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I sent one of my rubber lines out with my brake booster and master cylinder when I had them rebuilt. For $30 a piece I got new lines back and they looked basically the same. So it's a pretty standard hose.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Different F models need 8 (they shouldn't have included TR in F1206011 or you only use 4 of the 8 -- but those PNs don't match TR). Look further down the page at F1206005 -- which says TR use 4 x 360mm long?

(It wouldn't surprise me if original stock TR lines have unusually short fittings on the ends, and later lines have longer fittings -- so the length, hole-to-hole, had to be increased from 330mm to 360mm to give the same amount of flexible hose. Just bloviating...)

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

Perfect, thank you. I will take care of that order today and NOT have to wait a month! Cheers, now we know they should be 360mm

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please post a pic of old vs new (with measurements from hole center -to- hole center). TIA.

vincenzo likes this.
  11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I have to hand it to Superformance, the hoses arrived yesterday from the UK. I can't get Amazon to deliver that fast and these came from Europe via DHL. Impressive.

I measured from fitting end to fitting end on the ones that arrived, they are roughly 410mm. So I am guessing that makes the hose 360-ish? I'll measure more thoroughly this weekend when I do the job.

12. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Cassidy, very timely. I am right in the middle of this on my 1986 TR (US model). Two of the four hubs were warmer (LF and RR) on mine. Plan is to rebuild all four calipers, replace original ATE rubber hoses with Goodridge ss braided hoses, and repack the front wheel bearings. I obtained caliper rebuild kits from Superformance UK. I repacked both front wheel bearings, and I rebuilt both front calipers and reinstalled same. I am now starting on the fourth caliper. As this is a 1986, I ordered new SS braided hoses from Goodridge UK. (BTW, to your earlier comment "SS/BK what ever that is," means stainless steel fittings with black colored hoses.) I took off the original ATE rubber hosed dated 2/86 and ordered "85 to 87 Testarossa" hoses from Goodridge. All four of the original ATE rubber hoses are identical length of 14 13/16 inches overall end to end, and 13 1/2 inches chassis hanger hole to hole, each with female fittings on both ends. The ss braided hoses I received from Goodridge UK came each with one female fitting and one male fitting with seal ring, and they are a little shorter hole to hole than my as found hole to hole. Also, the Goodridge fitting is a little shorter so the chassis and caliper hardlines need to be pulled over a little bit (1/4 to 5/16 inch??). It has been very slow communicating with Goodridge UK, but at this point, it seems like they believe Ferrari changed the specifications for the US model, so I will have to eat the cost, and the Goodridge hoses I have are useless to my TR. I do not know what car they are for. Goodridge said they could make replacement hoses with both female ends at my cost if I reordered off their site as I previously did. My last communication was that I would do both if they could assure me that the same mistake would not just happen again as I did not see anything to prevent same from rehappening on their website. I asked if they could treat this as a custom order to ensure 13 1/2 inches hole to hole, and both female ends. I am still waiting to hear back.

BTW, I decided to repack the front bearings after reading about dry TR front wheel bearings on this site. I am not sure of the dynamics that go on inside the front double row ball bearing, but I assume that the heat liquifies some of the grease which results in giving the appearance of such voids and dry surfaces. I did find the same from the original factory greasing and low miles. In any case, for each bearing I removed the inner row and just loosened the outer row enough for cleaning (I did not want to disturb the seal below), meticulously cleaned everything, and hand packed the bearing ensuring zero voids, as well as the sealing cap it mates into. Maybe Turbo Joe can add to this. Cassidy, you may do well to evaluate the status of your front wheel bearings. EDoug

13. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

Thank you so much for the update on your job, and thank you for the thoughts on the front wheel bearings. No objection to doing it, just a matter of time it seems. I'll put that on my to-do punch list! As for Goodridge, I called the US Moorseville, NC office this week and talked to a tech about making the set. They said state-side there is a 4 week wait to get those fittings, but they could indeed make them. Locally here in VA we have a shop called Colliflower (https://www.colliflower.com/locations) and they make that sort of thing in person. You may find it easier to just get them made.

I opted for the rubber replacement lines, as they were in-stock and I don't know that I will ever push this old car hard enough SS matters. My track car has Goodridge lines, but the more I've thought about it, the less I am worried.

I'll keep this thread updated and I'd love to see a pic of your bearing job! After being apart for 5 months, I just need some miles/smiles before I dig in again.

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Take care of your bearings boys.. They are very very expensive. All the cross reference info is ng.. Very pricey.

R

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  15. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Cassidy, as I type, Goodridge UK is making the stainless hoses to my specifications with the Sales Manager ensuring same. I will post pictures of the dry front TR bearings that I found, and a few others of the this bearing maintenance under a new posting. First, I need to downsize the pictures to meet posting requirements size. I hope that doing so will help others understand this needed maintenance. EDoug

16. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Excellent news for you!

I ended up feeling guilty not packing the bearings so I dug in and did them too. While I was in there I noticed the passenger side rack end was sloppy. The nylon bushing was long gone, I 3D printed one for the time being out of nylon and chopped carbon fiber. It seems there’s a Pantera bushing upgrade that fits these so I ordered one and will report back about fitment.

I could use a new inner tie rod end and I am close to finding a match on the Moog site. Once I have part numbers there too I’ll report back.

Man does it ever take a village to keep these gals running!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Supernaut likes this.
  17. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Below are a few "as found" pictures of both front wheel bearings on my 1986 TR that I recently re-packed. The first pictures are the left front inner and outer bearing rows followed by the right side. This is what the original factory greasing with very low miles looks like. Both sides look about the same, but I was a very surprised how little grease actually surrounded the ball bearings themselves. For those of you out there that see this all the time, maybe this is not surprising. In any case, this re-pack now has zero voids and gives me comfort knowing so. EDoug.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    I received the "custom" made stainless steel braided brake hoses from Goodridge UK, and installed them yesterday without issue. The first set I ordered was off the Goodridge UK website catalog for the Testarossa/GTO All Varients1985-1987 which seemed correct, but they came with one male end and one female end which is incorrect. Clearly the first set was not for my 1986 TR USA model and IMHO the catalog should be confirmed for USA models before ordering. Does anyone know what model/country these hoses could be used for? Shown below are pictures of my old original rubber hose, the custom replacement, and the useless catalog hose. EDoug.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I had the same problem replacing brake hoses on my 87 TR. Went back to original replacement.