Testarossa Grill Union | FerrariChat

Testarossa Grill Union

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by NashGTS, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Hello, I need a little help in finding a part.
    My Grill Union (Part # 61490900) is in need of replacement. My searches only show availability of this part as part of the entire grill assembly. Any lead on where I might get a replacement is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Do a Google search for your part number, and it brings you right back here to FerrariChat where someone reproduced their part. The thread was in 2019.
    Out of curiosity, what failed on your part? Not fixable?

3. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Thanks for the reply. My B plan was to fix the one I have in a similar fashion as this thread although through machined parts, not printed. My hope was, someone out there has started to make replacements but this does not seem to be the case. My failure is similar to the one in this post. The bottom mount looks to have gotten hot and sagged a bit. It's still functional but not ideal.

4. spikef15c

spikef15c Rookie

Sep 8, 2009
    Northern Texas
    Hi NashGTS,
    Check with Superformance. They have that piece listed on heir “body fittings” page for flat 12s. Shipping may be costly, though.
    Good luck

5. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Well I asked what happened to your part, and you answered it's changing shape because of heat from the exhaust. So I just purchased a burned Testarossa, that the fire was located on the passenger side rear of the car. I figured my middle bracket MUST be toast. It's not!. same shape as my other three TR's. I've got the right side of the grill removed, but the left side is a little more stubborn. Once the right side was removed, I lost half my leverage.

I guess I could be talked out of the part, or it can be used as a pattern to make new ones. That way it could help MANY people. I paid a LOT of money for the burned car, and didn't get too many useable parts, so what is good I can't give away. You can message me if interested. I OWN a machine shop, but I don't think this is a super easy part to reproduce, and not get a decent amount of money for the part. OR a new mold could be made, and make it out of a high temp plastic.

6. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Spikef15c, thanks for the help. I tried superperformance, but they refunded me my money as it’s no longer available. All they had was a full grill assembly.
    At 1700 pounds. Cheers.

7. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    Versamil, I’m not sure if I can message you directly or only through a post? I figured it was the heat off the exhaust that got the best of it. I agree, to machine one of these would be tricky. My intent was to only replace the ends and reuse the middle. In regards to your part, I would never ask for anything but what you feel is a fair price as I’m sure there are other buyers out there. However, I may just decide to repair what I got. What I would like to do is scan a good one to create a step file and see if I can get a tool made at a reasonable cost. We use a lot of high temp plastics at work and I agree with your thought to see if we couldn’t help the masses. Could be fun.

8. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    If you would like to use my part to scan- not a problem.

I have a friend that makes molds and I want him to look at the part. I just don't see how the projections that stick out to hold the tubes are made in one piece in a mold. I'm NOT a plastic guy so this stuff is interesting, but I don't quite see how the part is made. Obviously one mold does both sides of the part, as each side is a mirror image of the other. Once you pull the tubes out of the center part you'll see what I mean about the projections.