328 ABS vs non-ABS brakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 ABS vs non-ABS brakes

Discussion in '308/328' started by Kent Dellenbusch, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    "read", not "write", sorry!

2. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    at first (years ago when I started looking at these cars) I was under the impression all from 88.5 with the convex wheels came with ABS, like the convex rims were designed to accommodate ABS just to learn later that some still came without...for me it's a little silly.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I suspect that the vast majority of 328's will be driven in such a way these days, that the ABS will never be activated.

My daily driven 2001 BMW E46 330 CI has an ABS system far more advanced that the basic system found in My 328 GTS, and it's a car that gets driven in a far harder manner than I'd drive any Ferrari I own (don't get me wrong, I don't amble along, just posing in the Ferrari's I have owned, but I do drive them in a far more sympathetic manner, and far less aggressively than my BMW), and I don't recall the last time I had the ABS kick in on the BMW (the DSC traction control system on my BMW does get a good workout however - Just to check it still works ;) ).

Dario Benuzzi doesn't like ABS cars? - I'd say 99.9% (completely guessed statistic ;)) of 328 owners do not possess anything like his driving skills, and his ability to modulate the brake pedal, F1 driver style, at the point of the brakes locking up.

Dario Benuzzi is a driving GOD! - END OF!

The majority of Ferrari owners/drivers are not even on the same planet as Benuzzi, let alone the same league, and they require ABS systems to replicate what Benuzzi could do for himself.

But, as I say, the chances of a 328 driver relying on ABS is minimal - And chances are, if you do need to rely on it, you will fail to use it correctly anyway, and drive straight into the accident that you were hoping to avoid.

The reality is, Whether the 328 you own has ABS or not, 99.9% of the time (another completely guessed statistic ;) ), it will make zero difference to how the car drives, or is driven - And chances are, for the other 0.1% of the time, it will also make no difference either!

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree that, like most cars most of the time, ABS will not be activated because generally we don't (hopefully) need to perform routine panic stops. But, FWIW, Almost every time I take my 328 out, I find a place to do an "emergency stop" to activate the ABS. This morning I did several panic stops from high speed (no traffic) to "exercise" the ABS. Like any other mechanical item - I figure that the worst thing for the system is to never be used so I regularly "use" it.

5. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I tend to agree it is relatively rare when ABS is invoked, though that is also true of every other car on the road. ABS was developed as a braking aid because of the human tendency to stand on the brakes in an emergency situation rather than modulating them. As long as you can remember not to pump the brakes in a panic stop, ABS will stop the car faster than a human can (unless you're Benuzzi, of course). Such emergency situations don't just happen because you're driving hard, they can happen anytime during normal driving. If an animal or a child darts in front of the car, for instance.

Kent Dellenbusch and Albert-LP like this.
  6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I wonder if Benuzzi could stop better than ABS in a real emergency stop as opposed to "programmed" braking on a race course or a marked spot on a test track. Braking when you know when/where you will be braking is much different than a "HOLY S4!T!" moment.

7. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    [QUOTE

I wouldn't want ABS on one. Just something else to break and cost too much IF parts are still readily available. I told him I recommended this particular car because he got the upgraded anti-dive suspension without the ABS hardware.[/QUOTE]

The ABS is a very simple system, mine never had any issue and it should be considered a great plus and It helped me. Dont forget that the old disk brakes are no better than a small modern car of today and if you want to use the 270HP of the old Ferrari an ABS might be pretty nice when a modern BMW ahead of you brakes fast! An 88.5 differs little from the type 1 328 but especially the ABS is great.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have never heard of them having problems. My rule of thumb is less features on an older Ferrari isnt always a bad thing

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #34 Albert-LP, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Nor Dario Benuzzi can do better than an ABS system when you are driving relaxed along a road talking with a nice girl that asked you to enjoy a small trip on your Ferrari and a child suddendly runs across the road... If the car has ABS, much better for you and let's hope it works.

This said, Dario Benuzzi (together with Paolo Guidetti, Giuseppe Montorsi and several other Ferrari test drivers of the times) drives like a God and can do things with your 328 you can't even imagine.

ciao

PS
    Giuseppe Montorsi tells a nice and fun story involving a 328 GTS on my book "Ferrari by Schedoni". It tells of an owner that complained about his 328, telling it had a poor handling... (Stay tuned, the English edition will be available soon...)

10. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Opinions aside, the knowledge shared here is great. Thank you everyone for your input. It is appreciated.

Albert-LP likes this.