How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Well after the last car, she probably has an inkling that I am up to something. Over the last few months, I have sent her a photo every now and again of Carl and I hanging out with his 308. Hint hint.

I do intend to tell her. It's inevitable anyway. I think I will be forgiven. As Carl said, so long as all the important things in life are taken care of, and ownership doesn't make a material difference to your life, there should not be a problem. The only thing I need to do is look after my health. Aside from the happiness of our children, that is the only thing that my wife worries about. With the research and purchase of the 308 all but completed, health has moved up the ladder in my list of priorities. Where it really should have been anyway.

As to how I let her know, well, I'm still working on that... :)

2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Congratulations on your purchase. You did it before it was too late!

When the time comes to pick up your wife up from the airport, take the Ferrari. She can't be angry about it. There is just no way.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes there is a way to be angry. Where would the luggage go?

iMrMark and alex like this.
  4. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Pay a taxi to drive behind you :D

alex likes this.
  5. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Oh that would be quite something. A repeat performance of when I turned up in the S500 I didn't tell her about. Minus all practicality. Yes, the luggage...

I've been dropping hints. On Sunday I went to the Ferrari Concorso here in Victoria. I sent her photos. Hmmm. She's being seeing quite a few photos of me out an about with Ferraris over the past few months...

Here are some photos from the event. Beautiful Autumn weather. A spectacular vinyard on the ocean. And about 150 Ferraris. Even an F40, which of course is not much good in Australia as a LHD vehicle. But hey, if you've got it, flaunt it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I think my wife has been converted into a Ferrari fan. I have been looking at F355 for quite a while. Had a couple slip by a purchase. My wifes been saying they look like my corvette. Why are you spending $100K on that car.
    So today is my birthday. She goes to the local Ferrari dealership and buys me a really nice shirt. Of course while she is there she looks at some new Ferrari and salesman talk. She has never really looked at Ferrari before. They are starting one up in the service area, walks over and video's it and the sound.
    She get home gives me my shirt ,and an incredible Ferrari watch, then shows me the video. WOW. that sound.
    She says to me, those Ferrari I saw today were beautiful. I couldn't believe how it sounded. You should just buy a new one a forget about one of those old ones. I say honey they're $400K. She says I know the salesman told me . But you buy one of those, then you will get a warranty and won't have to worry about working on an old one.:)
    Now what do I do? Should I?

PS kind of a dumb question to ask of this groupo_O

alex likes this.
  7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah

8. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Divorce her so I can marry her. Damn! She's a keeper. lol

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guessing she still doesn’t know..
    You could always record her reaction then post it on YouTube with heading,
    “ Man buys Ferrari, then tells wife!“ You may end up a celebrity with many seeing the video and approaching your wife with appreciation for letting this slide. Or, possibly accept the help of a few that watched this go terribly wrong with offers to help you move into your new one room flat. :)

Just kidding you a bit. Hard not to love a Ferrari in the garage!

alex likes this.
  10. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike

What are you waiting for? Run down to the Ferrari Dealer and spec out a car this weekend!

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    When you have a good marriage and your wife loves and respects you, she should already know what your hobby/passion is, she would know that owning a Ferrari is your dream and a goal you are trying to reach.
    In that case, fulfilling that goal (if it does not affect the family's standard of living in any significant measure) should have her full support and blessing without you even asking for it.
    That's how you recognize you have a great wife and a happy marriage.
    I am lucky, every Ferrari purchase had a moment of hesitation on my part and it was my wife's prompting to make the final decision.

tomc, 308 milano and alex like this.
  12. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Yes I would love to get a new one. Would be a stretch on the budget. Doable yes, but ??? I thought about driving a car worth that kind of money, would I be nervous, too cautious. I know for some here it's an easier decision. I get nervous just driving my restore 77 Oldsmobile. I worry about someone hitting it and then that's the end of it. And it isn't worth squat.

13. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Correct.

I still don't have it yet. The seller committed to arranging the roadworthy certificate as part of the sale. Surprisingly, it didn't pass. There was a little play in the rack ends. Then the mechanic was unable to find just the ends, so he had to get a whole new rack. It only arrived from Italy on Thursday. Hoping to get the car this week.

You can imagine a sensible spouse's reaction: "You spent all this money buying that car and it's in the shop for repairs before you've even driven it?" The other spouse above might be on point:

308 milano likes this.
  14. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    The The poll was yet a

15. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Let her drive in the taxi also, you know, to ensure the luggage is safe :rolleyes:

16. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Don't buy a new one. The sound is dampened and the steering is numb. It will also depreciate a lot.

I tell you what to do. You go and buy a 458. Sound is amazing, drive is engaging and fun, value will not depreciate.

Go and testdrive one with your wife. Then thank me later!

17. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    +1000. well said. I am extremely fortunate for my wife. She is the one that puts me over the edge on purchases and booking guys trips.

Jpacione and alex like this.
  18. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Okay, an update. I finally took possession and had my first drive yesterday, a full month after I made the decision to buy it. The rack ends had a little play. We ended up replacing the entire rack. And new tyres. Parts from Italy took some time. But tonight, it is now downstairs in the garage, and in the first 24 hours I ratcheted up 570kms.

The first order of business was to go see my old friend in a rural area of Victoria. He was the one who was not so long ago diagnosed with advanced, inoperable cancer. The one who I asked about getting a Ferrari when I last saw him on New Year's Eve. The one who replied "Well, just don't leave it too late." His conditioned has since declined. He is in palliative care. His body is riddled and it has entered his brain. Sadly, it may only be a matter of days. But he is being well cared for and in good luck, today was a "good day". He smiled and shook his head when I told him I had finally pulled the pin. He laughed when I told him I had not yet told my wife. He asked me "Where is it?" I said "Outside." Then he perked up and said "Well let's go have a look!"

He walked around, sat inside, we started it up, then he looked at me, smiling and said "You didn't leave it too late."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boots, AtomicPunk88, iMrMark and 9 others like this.
  19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Congratulations Simon.

20. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Simon, it's a beauty! I think your wife will love this car. It's truly a piece of Ferrari history! Put on many miles, and enjoy in good health!

308 milano and ChadR like this.
  22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We should all go for a drive together.

23. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    It is time to spill the beans, inform my wife and daughters and wait for the shock wave. Owing to me being on the other side of the world from them, the time difference and the crazy work schedules they all keep, I decided to send them all an email. I have sometimes accused them of not paying attention to what I write, as I write to them almost daily. We'll see who notices first. Here's what I sent early this morning:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
    Subject: Nice to see everyone's smiling faces today.
    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:45:03 +1000

Hi Julz, Maddie and Gracie,

It was so nice to have a Zoom call together yesterday. It runs a distant second to being together in person, but I'll take it. Let's keep doing it and more regularly.

As we all know, next week will be a year since I have been with all of you. I remember vividly the moment I watched you walk down the Jetway together in Melbourne. It was surreal knowing that you were leaving for San Francisco, but not knowing the next time I would see you. I don't think any of us expected it would be this long. I certainly never imagined I would be in a situation where nobody was allowed in or out of Australia, even to reunite with family.

But we have to consider all the things that are still good. My friend Mark here is now too sick to text let alone talk. It is a reminder that I am thankful that we are all healthy. With the exception of international travel, we are still relatively free to do what we choose. Life will improve as the population gets vaccinated. Everyone has a roof over our heads, the economy is doing well and we are not struggling to make ends meet, like so many others. Maddie and Grace, I am really excited that you will now both be going to University in Southern California in August. You have both earned it. So live it up. :)

As for me, well, as long as I am still 'trapped' in Australia, I am using the time to execute on some things that previously, for one reason or another, I just never got around to. It's all good. I am flat out, which keeps me out of trouble. For the most part. ;-)

Missing you all, but very much looking forward to being together as a family again.

Love,

Si

P.S. I bought a Ferrari.

Boots, ShineKen, DBomb117 and 11 others like this.
  24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Haha love it

308 milano likes this.
  25. Lotusexige

Lotusexige Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name: