348 - Thinking about buying one with no service history... | FerrariChat

348 Thinking about buying one with no service history...

Discussion in '348/355' started by oereich, May 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oereich

oereich Rookie

May 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Oren
    Hi, so I'll start off by saying I am new here. I've been thinking about taking the plunge into a 348 TS for the last few years and randomly fell upon one now that's for sale. Thing is the car has no service history and car looks okay, probably the best way to describe it (seats are cracked a bit, rear left quarter-panel was repainted), however the car starts right up and there does not appear to be any leaks. 30k miles and the lowest the owner will go is $46,500. I've looked online and I feel given the condition of the car and lack of supporting documents, the car should be worth quite a bit less, but maybe I am wrong. I will definitely get a pre-purchase inspection done, but wondering if it's even worth it at all (assuming mechanically the car is fine and won't require any major maintenance immediately). I can share a video if it helps. I am not opposed to purchasing something not perfect, but having the price reflect that.

Appreciate the tips!

And thanks in advance!

2. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It may take the seller some time to realize that. I cant tell you the number of cars that I was the first person to be told "no" to on my offer, and later find out it sold for about the amount I offered. Make your offer and be willing to walk away.

oereich likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Check car fax or auto check for accident reports. Compression and leak down I would do. If it has not had service plan on doing one. Most everything else can be fixed as DIY as it comes up. If it checks out and you put a major on it, why not. Best of luck!

oereich likes this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you have a serious interest get the PPI done......I find it is easier to nudge a price in the right direction if a seller sees you have money in the deal and paperwork that points out specific issues.

Having said that, with the inflated market for just about everything, not sure it is going to get much lower.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I know the market is up. Buying a car with no history IMO is not an issue as long as its priced correctly. The most important service is the most recent one. After buying my spyder a couple years ago I have not been following 348 market as closely but still peek from time to time but at nearly $50k I would think you could find a better candidate for the same or a little more. A no history 348 should be about $40k IMO.

You are looking for a TS specifically?

allandwf likes this.
  6. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yes, Post a video or as many pics as possible and the folks here will point out anything unusual. Have you driven the car? Does the car drive tight and smooth? It should not rattle, vibrate, or make anything but beautiful sounds. Did it speak to you? Life is short. Jump in.

7. marknado

marknado Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I recently picked up my car with no service history, the price was right, only documented work was a complete engine out service (10k+ NZD) right before I purchased it, I will start a thorough service history starting from now, lack of history is no issue for me, I like to maintain my cars myself so I will be working through everything over time anyway. Go for it!

allandwf likes this.
  8. jgt2

jgt2 Rookie

Apr 30, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think I know which car you're talking about it was a red 348 in florida, I was close to making a deal on it but the car is a little bit rough I did a pre-purchase inspection and there were a bit of issues, its cheaper to buy one that's in better condition and maintained,Also apparently the owner lives in Argentina, it was just a sketchy Vibe overall for me.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I was the same. Mine had been off the road for 11 years! Was recommissioned, and belt service prior to me buying her. I just decided to run her and see if anything broke lol. All been good, few electrical gremlins has been it. Buy it if priced accordingly, and enjoy.

10. stevejm99

stevejm99 Rookie

Mar 17, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve John Marshall
    Joe are you referring to the one in Miami with 49K miles? if so i'd be interested in learning what you discovered during the PPI as I am also interested in that car if you have decided to pass on it.