Checking engine oil level - 812 | FerrariChat

Checking engine oil level - 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

I've never really bothered to check oil levels in my 812 SF & GTS, assuming this will be dealt with in a service (or with a warning light). I realise this probably isn't wise so I wanted to check the oil level on my 812 GTS soon. The owner's manual procedure for this seems silly (switching on air conditioning, rev to 4k etc). Isn't the point simply that the engine should be warm? Do guys follow this process, or simply check it after a drive?

Also, it says that you should only fill with the same type of oil as is there. I bought the car new. I have no idea what oil they put in. Obviously I will use the type recommended in the manual, but I can't be sure it's the same as is there already! Any ideas? Am I over thinking this?!

Thanks

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    There’s an extensive thread about this in the forum if you use the search you’ll probably find it quickly. But to summarize: yes, do the procedure. You’ll find the oil type to use in the manual and on a sticker in the engine bay on the panel next to the oil cap.

KarlA69 likes this.
  3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    After doing the procedure make sure you do not overfill. Ive said it on the other thread but I was told to not fill above the minimum line on the dipstick. Some others have said they fill to halfway. The two techs Ive spoken with told me that there is a lot of froth in the oil and filling to the minimum line is what they do. Overfilling can be worse than being under.

Thecadster, italiafan and SeattleStew like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, do the procedure it has to do with oil getting into various reservoirs and draining properly. Very dangerous to overfill.

Having said that I did check mine with the procedure (bottom of fill level, lower line) and then with the engine off it correlated to one finger breadth above the very bottom of stick. I don’t know if this is a correct and safe way of approaching but if I check my dipstick with engine off and there is oil on the stick I might not need to go through the procedure? I need to verify this for myself a few more times before being too confident though.

Ltfor3 and junc like this.
  5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks guys very useful

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Napoli, junc and italiafan like this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Karl
    I will add a photo of the oil can when I go home for lunch as I seem to get some with every car.
    From memory it is Shell Helix racing oil but I will add the photo later.
    As said above, do the procedure to the letter, half way up the dip stick is fine. That will still leave 12L of oil in the sump or so the tech guy told me.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Approved oil clearly stated in the owners manual and on the faring over the oil filler. Manual available on-line for free.

9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes, I have the manual and have read it. My question was about the oil needing to be "of the same type as the existing oil". But I was over thinking it, I will just add the type which is specified in the manual.

10. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Do you have a link for the manual?

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They are posted as PDF on Ferrari dealership websites. I use this site for the F12:

https://www.ferrarifl.com/owners-manuals/

but looks like they have not posted the 812 yet. Try some more searching or ask your dealer.

12. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Solid State and Thecadster like this.
  13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thecadster likes this.
  14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Great thanks, I will check this weekend

15. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Pennzoil 5W-40 is what the manual says I believe.

italiafan likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    correct

17. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    These are for USA cars. In Europe they will use shell ultra helix. On my car, the sticker on the panel under the hood even says ultra helix, but the USA manual says pennzoil. Should still be a 5W-40 weight though.

italiafan likes this.
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I've never did understand the variation here on the same engine. From a performance standpoint, there is a world of difference between 5-40 and 10-60. Nearly all the wear is done at start-up and most new cars are 0-20 or even thinner. Unless you are really tracking the car the 5-40 makes a lot more sense especially if the car goes a while between use.

19. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    In Europe and in UAE they use Shell 5W-40 in the 812, 488 and 488 Pista and it’s quoted in the manual as well.

The F12, can only speak for a Europe model, they used the Shell 10W-60.

Even in our 488 Challenge cars the Shell 5W-40 is used and they really gets it hard on track without any issues!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

SeattleStew likes this.
  20. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, I finally got around to checking the oil level, but fell down at the first hurdle.... manual says run engine until oil is 92 to 94 degrees C. Mine was about 80 after driving, so I thought I’d check again after a more spirited drive. Even after that, the temp was still only high 80s!

Has anyone else had this issue?

Dubaicity likes this.
  21. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl

22. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    You need to drive around at high RPMs to get it close to the temp needed before starting the procedure. I generally will spend the last 5 minutes or so (depends on ambient temp) of my drive in 2nd gear and around like 6-7k RPM. I sound like a jackass, but it gets the job done

MidnightRun and Tim Ryan like this.
  23. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi guys,

I finally got around to checking my engine oil level today and wanted some advice. But first, I spoke to the Ferrari service tech before doing it and he mentioned a few things that might be useful for others:

- It's actually easier to get the oil to the required temp when the car is stationary rather than driving. A few revs (around 2k) for a few mins and the oil temp starts to climb (provided air con is on, as per instructions in the manual). I mention this because I'd assumed driving it around in a spirited manner / higher revs would cause the oil temp to rise but it didn't rise enough
    - you should be checking the oil every month or so if you use it regularly. Oops. I have driven 6 months and almost 5k miles from new without checking. Will do it more regularly now!
    - the oil should be at the 3/4 full mark once you're done.

Onto my issue: I followed the instructions in the manual closely for checking the oil. The first time I pulled out the dipstick, it had barely any oil on it at all, just some smears. I added some, re-checked and added some more. In total, I added 1 litre of oil (Shell 5W-40 as per manual). The issue is, I checked again at the end and it appeared to be marginally above the max. line. I know that you are not supposed to fill above this line, obviously. Part of the issue was that when I pulled out the dipstick each time, it was partially smeared with oil (not a solid block though) and actually difficult to see where the right 'level' was.

I plan to check the oil level again tomorrow, before a drive I had planned. If the indicated level is at or below the max, then fine. But if it's over, I plan to not drive it and call Ferrari service to come and look at it (without driving it again). Does anyone have advice here? Am I being overly cautious? I found the whole process to be fairly stressful, to be honest, for something that should be routine & simple!

Thanks in advance!

Karl

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Your experience is not unique. Its a lesson learned. The oil level is usually not a straight thick discernable line on the stick. You will get the feel for it and that will stop you from over-filling. I have a bulb-style suction hose that I use for such things. Its for lighter fluids but will work fine to correct the oil level should it be necessary. The correct level is a gap below the full line. I would pull out at least half or most of what you put in from the fill spout and check again.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks. As an update, I checked the oil level again (using correct procedure) and it was slightly above MAX (roughly 1 cm). I decided to take it to the dealer (on a truck) tomorrow to ask them to look at it and probably drain out some oil. They need to look at something else anyway, so makes sense.

I'll ask the service tech how risky it is having the oil near or at the MAX level, but in any event I will be more careful filling it up next time.