FAKE car or FAKE noise | FerrariChat

FAKE car or FAKE noise

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Red Baron, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which is worse

Poll closed May 16, 2021.
  1. Fake cars

52.9%
  2. Fake noise

47.1%
  1. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I am not that happy with replica's, fakes or whatever you want to call them.
    However there is a new kid on the block, fake noise in an electric car.
    Which is worse.
    In fact some fake cars have had a lot of work put into them and some look very nice.
    But fake noise, well its irritating, all the time irritating.

Thomas S. likes this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had an SL63 with fake exhaust noise. It was all computer controlled. Sure sounded great with all the snap, crackles and pops but I knew it was fake and that made it sound stupid. Sold it. Got a 360. Have real engine sound now.

Still, I vote fake cars are worse.

3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Many if not all of the new BMW's of the last couple years have fake noise piped in. The problem is emissions regulations have forced carmakers to turbocharge everything, and turbos kill the exhaust note. The fake noise can be defeated with a simple modification, but It's either fake noise, or no noise. Sad, but better get used to it. The naturally aspirated engine will soon be gone forever, in new cars at least.

I wouldn't call an electric car fake, and I will happily buy one for my daily grocery-getter when they offer one with decent range. I'd prefer that it be completely quiet. My "fun" cars are a different story, however.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Fake noise to help you fake the enjoyment of the car is one thing (like the piped in soundtrack some mfrs are using). Electric car makers, though, are looking at ways to introduce subtle noise into the car, especially for low speeds. That is because pedestrians use noise as a part of perceiving an approaching car, and the super silent e-v can run them over without a peep. Funny world...

5. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    When I was a teenager and had a bike , used to put a ruler on the rear wheel so it touched the spokes and made a bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound.
    Possibly thats what Lexus and the other electric car makers will do.
    They can used a metric ruler for Europe and imperial for the USA.
    That would make it easy to convert if you bought in Europe and want to take the car to the US.
    Not sure if a pedestrian can tell the difference.

Mikestradale, JHNurse and EnzoItaly like this.
  6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guessing the fake noise is somewhat of a safety item, to help animals/pedestrians be aware of you? In our area can only imagine the uptick in deer strikes due to a silent vehicle.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My ex had a BMW 4 series with fake noise over the audio system. Didn’t help that the subwoofer had a vicious rattle when you put it in “sport” mode ;)

8. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    While I hate fake noise, fake cars are worse

Warren,
    We used playing cards on our bicycle spokes; maybe not as loud as rulers but easier on the wheels!

I like your comment about metric rulers

EnzoItaly, bernieb and Mikestradale like this.
  9. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    We used cards on our bike spokes too. Jezus...thats over 60 years ago...LOL. Mom was always giving us grief for stealing her clothes pins

EnzoItaly likes this.
  10. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    ICE cars with fake engine noise are rubbish.

Electric cars actually benefit from some artificial sound to help provide feedback to the driver, and safety for pedestrians.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My 35B is fake, but the noise is not. Strange.

Matt

12. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Presently the pole is pointing to no Fake anything, cars or noise.