Leaking petrol tank | FerrariChat

Leaking petrol tank

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Martin BB, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    One of the petroltanks on my 400 is leaking a bit. I read somewhere a possibility to repair the leak is to put so-called sealer in it, which forms a flexible layer and also 'repairs' little leaks Does anyone has experience with this?

Or is it better to weld a new piece of aluminium in it?

Looking forward to your responses...

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    No experience with sealers, but the tanks are coated with a fiber based material that acts as a sponge somehow. It will be difficult to spot where the leak comes from unless most of this coating is scrapped. So unless you scrap the coating you won't know where to weld. A sealer would make your life easier, but not sure it would properly fix the leak (?).

3. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hopefully it's easily found and fixed. But if at the end of all your efforts to find and stop the leak fails, I know a guy with a pair of tanks for sale. PM me if you need details.

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    Found the leak, it's a small crack next to a weld to with an internal bulkhead attached.
    I fixed it with aluminum glue. After e couple of test drives with full tanks, it's still OK.

Ak Jim and roger21 like this.
  5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    "aluminum glue", What type / brand?

6. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name: