F40 Fire in Odawara (Kanagawa Prefecture), Japan | FerrariChat

F40 Fire in Odawara (Kanagawa Prefecture), Japan

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Terra, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #4 PAUL500, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Ouch, time for every F40 owner to have the entire fuel system removed, inspected and replaced as required if they have not already done so.

30 year old rubber, fuel lines, unions and seals are clearly now perishing at an alarming rate.

One more for the Phoenix squad! it will no doubt live again, or at least its VIN will!

Not the greatest of paint jobs, that yellow should have been sanded back to at least the original red, I wonder if any yellow F40 also went missing........

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Well as long as a VIN plate can be salvaged, it can be rebuilt.

ChipG, Bas, ross and 1 other person like this.
  5. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    The bigger question is: what is the VIN#? With the questionable paint job........is this another "improperly acquired" F40?

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Or rather which number will it have once recreated?

Marcel Massini

7. broshnat

broshnat Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2017
    UK
    Interesting…

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is it me or do the USA f40s burn much less frequently than the non USA?

joe sackey likes this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    As I'm sure you know, the US F40s have aluminium fuel tanks, rather than the more perishable bladders that have to replaced every ten years, which is a factor.

joe sackey and AtSomePoint like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    noted!

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I doubt something like this would be from a leaky tank though, as that would typically just drip away and be noticed as a puddle on the floor, its more likely to be a split or crack in the system aft of the fuel pumps, with high pressure petrol spraying onto the hot exhaust manifolds, and up she goes.

Same problem with the 355s, and they have alloy tanks.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #13 joe sackey, May 9, 2021
    With proper regular maintenance, all of this can be addressed, these events don't just happen by accident, they happen because the vehicle has not been thoroughly maintained by the owner and is being used in less than optimum operating condition.

Correct.

Correct.

Meanwhile I am amazed that nobody has already commented that we need another LM clone.

Just this past week I posted this elsewhere:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147878239/

In case the link doesn't work from your device:

Aluminum fuel tanks for the Eu/ROW F40 being installed by Bell & Sport Classic:

https://www.bellsportandclassic.co.uk/f40-fuel-tank/

No affiliation, but obviously of interest to Eu/ROW F40 owners.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Paul, it can be from a leaky tank, you can't diagnose this stuff from the sidelines without knowing all the facts of a specific event, any of the fuel components can cause a fire, lines or defective fuel bladders, exactly the reason why it is recommended they are replaced with a certain frequency.

USA F40s can catch fire too, but they don't do so anywhere nearly as often, which speaks for itself.

14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Whilst I agree that the problem can stem from a range of defective items in the fuel system, it also has to be acknowledged that the 355, itself a mid engined Ferrari v8 with the same layout as an F40 and also fitted with an alloy fuel tank also likes to self combust with alarming regularity, and this is always associated with high pressure fuel spraying into the hot engine bay and nothing at all to do with low pressure fuel leaks from its tank.

There are what?, 5 times as many ROW F40s as there are US spec ones, so the stats will be at least 5 times as many fried ROW F40s out there regardless of the types of fuel tanks fitted. Plus US spec F40s are used far less than the ROW ones given the sensitivity to mileage the US presents with Ferraris in general compared to the rest of the world.

Not that long ago an F40 in the UK went up in flames soon after the whole fuel system had been replaced, so defective workmanship not just old components can cause this issue with the F40, and again nothing to do with a low pressure fuel leak from its tank, the hose to the injectors had not been tightened properly.

joe sackey and ryalex like this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    All good points, short summary, make sure your F40 receives proper regular maintenance, and is in optimum operating condition.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #17 Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 9, 2021
    God I hate to see that. Anyone know how many have burned? I can think of two within the last year or so, Monaco and this one. I think there was the a "Microsoft" car; was that the one that became the "Linder LM"? That's the one thing I really worry about. Taking ours in for service Tuesday and will specifically ask about fuel lines, etc.

I also was told there is some kind of pop off value or "some thingie" that one should put a zip tie on. I was never quite clear about this during our conversation. Something about a line or value that can blow open causing the turbo to run away blowing up the engine. I think this happened at Road Atlanta or Road America according to the well respected long time sale agent at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale. I also was told they sold more F40s than any other dealership back in the day. Funny how my memory is fading...I hear it gets worse. Perhaps someone can tell me if there is something to this other than my foggy recollection.

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That's what I really hate to hear, another reason I hate belt changes etc and annuals on aircraft. Almost always there is a new blemish somewhere regardless of how careful they are. And somewhere along the way I remember once of a belt breaking after a service. That would not be good.

18. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I was always interested to hear what had happened with that car but I was told that both the garage and the owner had the same insurance company so it was never investigated - but not sure if thats true?

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    IIRC the car you are thinking of was a USA F40 being driven hard on Seattle International Raceway, exiting turn 9 the driver lost control and it made contact with the wall, subsequently bursting into flames, the results are below.

That said, I can think of serious accidents to USA F40s in Vancouver, Denver, Los Angeles and Houston to name just 4 where the car did not subsequently catch fire.

Of late though, we seem to be seeing Eu cars catching fire whilst simply being driven along, which speaks to a maintenance issue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They also do much less miles per year.

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If anyone is in need of aftermarket alloy tanks for an F40 then I believe Alpha Performance Fabrication in the UK are the company that actually make most of the tanks for the resellers, something like 20 sets in the last 18 months alone.

https://www.apfab.co.uk/

No affiliation, just nice for the guys who make them to get some credit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

armedferret, joe sackey and 275GTB like this.
  22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it should be noted that a euro car, that has NOT been homologated for the usa, should NOT have the usa alu tanks installed.

a usa oem car, or a row car that has been fully homologated for the usa, will have the steel bars in the doors.
    in the case of a perpendicular encounter with another hard object - like getting T-boned by another car, these steel bars will protect the alu tanks from being crushed and burst.
    in the case of a row car without steel bars in the doors, if you get T-boned, the flexible fuel bladders are designed to simply 'flex' and not burst.
    if you install alu tanks in a row car, the alu tanks have no protection from a t-bone, and will not flex.

installing alu tanks in a non-homologated row car is dangerous.

23. cluboutrun

cluboutrun Karting

May 6, 2021
    Paradise Papers
    Dont think the cute little extinguisher will make it.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good to know, thanks for sharing.

The side-collision bars in the doors of the USA car are USA DOT mandated components for the side-collision protection of passengers, not the fuel tanks.

You'll note that the fuel tanks of all F40s sit aft (rear) of the passenger doors anyway, and that area is unprotected by bars in both Eu/ROW cars and USA cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login