84 Boxer Clutch Slave R&R | FerrariChat

84 Boxer Clutch Slave R&R

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by muttsjet, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Have noticed clutch pedal sticking when released. Today, pumped pedal a few times (in an attempt to alleviate sticking (its worked before) and pressure decreased, pedal stayed depressed, smoke stated coming from motor, and a small puddle of fluid was under drivers side rear of motor. All seemed like signs of failed clutch slave.

Have searched forum but didn't find steps on to R&R bbi clutch slave cylinder. Work on cars but have never changed a slave on this car before.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have a 1967 330 with a hydraulic clutch. I have rebuilt the slave cylinder several times over the years. Post a picture of yours to see if it is similar to mine.

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I've done this on my '84. I got a new slave cylinder, and the new line that goes from the chassis to the slave. It was pretty simple, and easy to bleed once in place.

I forget where I got the parts. Try AW Italian in NJ maybe?

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Its fairly straight forward if you just look at what you have. The hardest part is removing the hydraulic fittings. Be sure to use the wrench that wraps around the bolt (forget what they call these - brake wrench?). I would also consider replacing the small hydraulic hose from frame to slave cylinder.

5. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanx for the responses. Had assistant attempt to pump clutch today during analysis, and found hose leading to slave had multiple pin holes in it. So, will replace that hose as well.

However, am stuck getting slave out. Removed the two nuts and washers holding slave bracket to motor so that slave is loose and rotates in bracket, but for the life on me, can't figure out how to remove slave from the bracket. There is not enough room between the ends of the two bolts where the slave bracket mounts and the distributor to remove bracket and slave. I can't believe it's necessary to remove distributor (and screw up timing) to get out the slave. What am I missing? Is there a circlip on the bottom of the slave that has to be removed to pull the slave straight out?

Any suggestions on best place to buy slave and hose? Found multiple places online line that sell either one or both.

Thanx ahead of time for the help.

6. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Found it ...circlip...amazoned circlip wrench and ordered slave and hose...

I assume once circlip is removed I simply pull out old slave and install new slave in reverse order inserting slave push rod (which remained attached when slave removed) into rubber dust cover.