458 - The search is on! Looking for a 458 (UK) | FerrariChat

458 The search is on! Looking for a 458 (UK)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scaramanga, May 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    Hi all! Been a long time lurker having enjoyed a decade of 360CS ownership. I sold the stradale a few months back and thought I could be without a similar car.... but I’m ashamedly admitting I was totally wrong!

so set my heart on buying a 458 coupe or spider, with a preference for the spider. Difficult market here in the UK as there aren’t many for sale, especially privately.

however, I’m a committed buyer and will update the thread with my progress!

Ive been doing plenty of research but any tips or advice naturally appreciated.

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Figure out exactly what you require and what you're willing to do without or are flexible on, so when you see a new listing you can instantly decide if you want it. I missed out on at least one listing since I wasted time thinking about it while other people were busy buying it!

Scaramanga likes this.
  3. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    Yup! I think I’ve decided on my ‘must have’ spec items:
    - dark interior
    - exterior colour: flexible but prefer to avoid red, yellow
    - carbon seats
    - interior carbon
    - upgraded alloys

the rest I’m happy to be flexible on!

saw a lovely example of a grey spider for sale at a dealer near me, but the car is up for £165k which is probably a bit more than I want to pay, even in this frothy market!

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I lost a few cars in 2018. My spec is similar to yours, but I was certain I wanted a white car. When a white, all carbon (including seats) and leather interior would hit the market, it would be gone in under a day, while at the time there were 20 white cars that just sat there. It took losing two to realize that other people were indeed looking for my exact spec and ignore the 20 white cars. (Now there are only 35 total cars for sale in the US. Madness.)

Scaramanga likes this.
  5. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Seems like a decent spec, and besides maybe the interior carbon (and carbon seats) shouldn't be too hard to find something. You're flexible on parking sensors, camera, front axle lift, caliper color, exterior carbon, etc.?

Scaramanga likes this.
  6. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Consider buying from an official dealer.
    A cheap Ferrari may be the most expensive Ferrari.

Scaramanga likes this.
  7. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    I can be flexible on:
    - lift: heard not as essential vs a Porsche GT3
    - caliper colour: would like red or yellow but mot a show stopper
    - exterior carbon: nice to have but not essential

good point about parking sensors, which would be needed I think, and camera for choice.

Thanks!

8. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    This.

I bought my low mile (6k) 2014 458 from Ferrari Swindon. 5 weeks in there is an issue that has to be sorted by Ferrari. £750 cost + £300 ish for the pickup and drop off of the car. All wouldn’t have been covered without a Ferrari 2 year warranty.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider buying private. I’m not a millionaire. Just a hard working lad with a good salary.

If money isn’t an issue, I guess it does not matter.

9. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    Yup. I’m happy to buy from a dealer, but not afraid of buying private as long as it is under warranty.

Presume the approved used warranty is more comprehensive that the power warranty ?

10. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Nah, you just get the PW for 2 years. A bit **** really.

My exhaust valve has an issue. Something has snapped. PW does not cover it, but after a threat of complaining, they have fixed it for me, being that it is only 5 weeks old.

I guess it is easier to fit the part and shut me up than open an official customer service complaint lol.

11. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    - Agree. I had a GT3 and lift was absolutely essential even for speed bumps, whereas on 458/488/F8, its nice to have as insurance

- Calipers are personal choice, but there are arguments for silver and black, as you will most probably have shields to add visual appeal

- Exterior carbon, depends on how much stone chip abuse you will throw at it and how much you can stand. My 812 has full exterior CF and some nice chips in the PPF, my F8 has no exterior CF and nice chips in the paint. The road is a harsh environment.

- PDC yes, but the camera is poor and the screen is small. Would certainly help you avoid an aircraft carrier!

Another hangup can be seats. I was originally 100% for race CF, but after some longer drives, decided on full electric/heated. CF look better, standard provide more insulation from the road surface, rather than it being a comfort issue, if that makes sense.

Scaramanga likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    good luck! I found that the example you really want tends to be a little bit more than you want to pay, I guess it's just psycological!

Scaramanga likes this.
  13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    Thanks @xBox and @willcrook!

totally agree that the one you want is always that but more than you want to pay!

it’s tricky trying to know where is fair value is in the UK right now. Haven’t been able to find a spider with the spec that I want, but agree that it seems the Carbon seats are very much in demand.

Have spoken to a few dealers, may go to view one tomorrow!

14. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    #14 Boots, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  15. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    You get what you pay for.

I was coming from a new m4 and new C63s. I wanted low miles to ensure the best quality car in terms of maintenance/ paint / engine / overall cleanliness etc, it had to be red with Creme. It had to have the carbon fibre wheel and it had to have both front and rear sensors.

I wanted

Cruise (got)
    Carbon buckets (got)
    Reverse camera
    JBL system
    Full carbon interior (got)
    Full carbon exterior (got)
    suspension lifer

I paid £155k down from £160. They put new tyres on for me worth a preety penny.

View attachment 4189413 View attachment 3731696 View attachment 195627 View attachment 4089912 View attachment 4466367

16. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Nik
    good taste in cars! Can’t see the attachments but i imagine the car looks lovely!

may I ask what you mean by “low mileage” ? I see that prices are very mileage sensitive, and one of the main dealers suggested to me that the rule of thumb is to budget £1/mile when comparing cars - not sure if that reconciles with views on here ?

the main issue is that spiders are thin on the ground at the moment, which I guess is logical given the seasonality.

17. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Pics now added below.
    Re the miles. I wanted 1000/2000k a year but no more or no less. This avoids garage queens and keeps you well away from the dreaded 20k miles that seems to make the car “high miles”

Funny as I use to think anything below 60k was low miles haha.

Again you really get what you pay for. Pay more and get a cleaner car with less miles. But not everyone wants to approach it that way.

6500 miles
    Full F service history
    Perfect paint
    Front PPF
    Every carbon option minus engine. Worth around £20,000
    Never tracked
    1 year free servicing

etc.