NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 164 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    All, Does anyone have experience with the Model Factory Hiro 1/12 Alfa Romeo Tipo 158 & 159, Ferrari D50 models? Any problematic fit and assembly issues encountered with these specific kits? Thanks.

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

I thought that it might be this Aston Martin. The DBR1's and DBR2's are cars I know well, and to date, no one has made an accurate - correct model or kit of the Le Mans winner in any scale. A couple have come close, but only close. So it will be interesting to see how they do here. If it's good enough, I'll be buying, but will wait to see photos of castings, etc.

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi. I would love one of the Alfa 158/9s but I too am concerned about potential problems with fit of parts on these kits so have not attempted one - lack of time and skill are other inhibitors.
    I found this build thread however, where the (admittedly talented) builder has produced a super result. There is no mention anywhere in the thread of any fit needing to be adjusted. In one photo you can see the bare front panels have been taped in place and look very good (at least on one side! )

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034042-mfh-alfa-romeo-159m/

hope that helps.

Cheers all.

Mark.

4. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Thanks Mark for the link, which is informative. The Alfa kit seems to assemble reasonably well, but a challenge in skill, effort and time to do a 1/12 Hiro kit properly. I am going to get one of the kits ahead. Here is another link you will appreciate, the fine Suber Factory build of the Tipo 159, continue to scroll down to see all the detail photos:

https://suberfactory.com/alfa-romeo-159-1951-muse-collection-2/

5. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Thanks for that Mr. Lancia. I do like
    Fred Suber’s website very much.
    For me, still nothing beats the De Conto 1/8 builds which he used to have at retromobile.

Great news if Minidelta are making another 1/12 model. I remember for the longest time GrandPrix models in the UK listed an upcoming D type Jaguar. I wonder if it is that???

Lusso123 likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've done alcohol, and its similar to Acetone ... you have to mix with water, or it will dissolve resin as well. My process that I found worked well is:

hot water bath - then hot soapy water, agitate and wipe down with wet cloth. then water acetone mix - dip and wipe, 3- times. then dry with hair dryer. this usually gets the oils off the surface with out any pitting or making the surface into velvet. I then use gray primer and sand high and low spots and then primer again,. once you get the primed surface smooth and clean - and no reaction from the silicone ... you are good to paint. the metal parts I simply soak in acetone and dry in the oven at 200F. for 5-8 min. and let cool. ( it smells...so have your fan on)

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Tom,

Try Simple Purple or equivalent. What I use.

After that-use dove or similar and then lots of cold water. Lots!

8. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

Got the 1/12 th Delta S4 ,brilliant kit just have not got the balls to take it on.It lies untouched in my understairs cupboard!

gt4me likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It does look like a great model. I really wish I could say Hiro are all that they are cracked up to be... unless you are a professional modler with an entire workshop at your disposal, they are very hard to make look good. Its not the time or skill level, but the basic refinishing, and scratch build that you have to do... that is the let down. I've built various 1/12 kits - tamyia, Protar, Heller, Hiro, Bandai, etc... the ones you have the best chance of getting a super nice model in my opinion is Tamiya - you can use your time modifying and scratch building an already very accurate kit... and come out with something really spectacular.. where has with Hiro, its 95% getting parts to fit with out ruining them or remaking them all over... disappointing.

By the way - I'm not trying to dissuade people from the models, but I think you have to have a realistic expectation. some attribute it to excellent modeling skills, but from my experience the kit its self is not that great...

Halfwit likes this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

It looks like a combination of wheel and tire problem. Looking at the photos, I'm almost certain that the diameter of the wheels are too large, which of course makes the tires too small...

I do have good/better tires to use, and could even have new ones made, but the wire wheels are a much bigger and more involved problem.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yep, something is wrong. Amazingly the body looks pretty good, although the version I don't like as much. Chassis also looks nice. Could be both tires and wheels are not correct like you said. Will measure them when I get the kit.

Lusso123 and furmano like this.
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looking forward to your comments on the kit when you get it. I'll probably order one too, but the wheels/tires turn me off. I agree that amazingly the body and other details look very good as does the chassis, etc.

16. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Inexcuseable for such a high priced kit by MFH: I'm pretty much done collecting model cars, dissatisfied with the 'close enough, people will buy it anyway' mind set of all the manufacturers now.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well Mini Delta might have another 1/12th kit in the works. Not sure what car but I have a feeling it will be good. I also miss CMA models. I wish that superb 166MM Marshall made was 1/12th. I highly doubt a better model of that car will ever be made :(

Lusso123 likes this.
  18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree, anything from Mini Delta is always really good, and worth getting. About my old 166 MM Barchetta models, thank you Tom, much appreciated! If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely have made the Barchetta in 1:12 scale.

I know it's been ages, but after I complete the scratch built Bentley Speed Six model I'm making for a client, I will be going ahead and getting the Scarab completed, and then into production - Kits & Builts. Then there are two other models also in the works for kits & builts. Slow and steady here... well actually very, very slow.

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    David, I feel your pain, but don't give up on collecting model cars. There are still some great pieces out there, especially some earlier rare ones, in all scales. I'm probably one of the most difficult collectors/buyers to please, along with a few of my clients, but even so, we still have been able to find & buy models that really satisfied us! Granted the majority of new models being made by many manufacturers are flawed, but every so often....

20. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne

I don't have the 917K kit, but I finished several MFH kits (Porsche 956L, Ferrari 330 P4, Ferrari 388 GTE, Ferrari 412P, Ferrari 250 GTO 64, Jaguar XJR12) and these are not all as bad as you describe them. I know some have some issues that prevent me from buying, but from my experience, most of problems of fitting can be issued without too much trouble for an experienced modeler. Of course some accuracy issues are another problem... Of course sometime I rebuild some parts, but in the end the result is not an average model, it's possible to achieve some extremely nice models.
    For the resin cleaning I use 2 ways to clean them: for large body parts I use Key and CLean from Zero Paint and for smaller parts I use a very strong degreaser called Fulcron with a toothbrush or a sanding pad.

I agree with you that the price is really high for not perfect kits... but they are done in Japan, not China... all kits from Japan are expensive!

to come back to the Aston DBR1 I'm ordering it. the tire/wheel issue is bothering, but I think when the car is fully build, it will still look amazing

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Boomhauer and gt4me like this.
  22. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great subject!

23. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    F1tommy likes this.
  24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    humberto rosario, rei24 and gt4me like this.
  25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Rosey, humberto rosario and rei24 like this.