First time taking my F12 to track - advice? | FerrariChat

First time taking my F12 to track - advice?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by F12_vrooom, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    Hey folks - my dealer offered me a slot at one of their sponsored track days. I’ve done a good bit of track time but all with Porsches. This will be my first time taking my F12. I was thinking of getting some Pilot 2 cup tires (or equivalent) and of course track day insurance. The dealer does a pre-track inspection a week or so before to catch anything.

Any recommendations on other things to prep in advance? Tire recommendations? Also, if this is better in the model-specific section, happy to move it there.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I just tracked my F12 for the first time. Before that I have tracked 911s and 458.

I used Pilot Sport 4S for tires. I found I had a ton of grip. The first session they were not warmed up and the PSI was a bit high so I was moving around quite a bit. After that, I lowered the PSI to 30-32 and the temp of the tires were above 100 and I shredded.

Other than that I made sure to properly check the oil. That was all the prep I did. Wait, also cleaned the windshield.

The car was great on the track although it was clear after the first session it was not a proper track car. It's a bit heavy and you have to contend with the weight but the braking and acceleration are suburb. The handling is maybe not as sharp as the 458 in the corners and you fill a bit more weight transfer but I'm really splitting hairs here. You're going to have the time of your life.

VAF84, Alexcle, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

If it's been awhile since your brake fluid has been changed I would highly recommend doing so, and maybe upgrading to a higher temp fluid. Bleeding the system would also be recommended along with checking brake pad condition.. Check the condition of your cooling system, belts and hoses and you should be fine.

lzplayer likes this.
  4. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    @3POINT8 and @LBBP - thank you both for the great tips. Much appreciated!

5. OrangeFan

OrangeFan Rookie

Jul 29, 2017
    Cleveland
    I don't know if you've already taken it to the track, but if you're installing new tires for the event ask your installer to mount the tires without the lube. It'll help keep the tires from slipping on the wheels and help keep them balanced a little longer. I've only had my F12 out on track once, and that was more than enough. It's a powerful beast, but the brakes are up to the task. You just won't have quite as much pad when you're done. (Keep an eye on them while there.)

Last thing - don't go 10/10. You have a three-point belt and no Hans device.

of2worlds and mdrums like this.
  6. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    thanks @OrangeFan . My track day is June 8, so still have a few days! My dealer is doing a pre-track inspection tomorrow and I ordered a set of Michelin’s a couple weeks ago. My P-Zero have about 5 mm on the rears, which I think will be enough based on the track day format. Trying to avoid putting on new tires to do a track day and wasting the remaining p-zero or flipping back and forth multiple times...just a pain to coordinate.

I’ll report back how it goes. I think I’ll get a couple hot laps in a challenge car, so looking forward to that!

7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    What did you think of the car on track? And now which challenge car are you in the market for? :) 430 is my personal preference (I do my own work so the 458 may be out for a long while yet).

Just worked with a client last month at WGI with a new-to-him F12. We had a blast! Such a great car, it loves to waltz but doesn't like to tango. When you settle into the rhythm, the car is just sublime. I love the big 12's and this one delivers in spades. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

8. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    Hey @c4b4the04 - what an ordeal. The short answer is I withdrew from the track session. I tried 5 different insurance providers and couldn’t get a track day policy. Hagerty, Open Track and Payne West all stopped covering F-cars, and K&K and Katz have max coverage at $150k value and would not cover my car. Since I have a deposit in on an 812 GTS, and I’m going to trade, I didn’t want to take the risk. Funny that you mention Challenge car. After going thru this, I think a dedicated track car is likely the better way to go. So I’m talking to my dealer on options there. Not the full Challenge series but like you say an earlier generation car. There are a couple good examples on the market near me, so trying to decide if I should just take the plunge. I’ve loved all my track experiences, so no doubt it will be a blast. More debating on how much free time I have and if we could make it into family events.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    A well maintained Challenge doesn't have to be a dealer item and there are quite a few to choose from. The 360's have that fantastic exhaust note but don't have the power that the 430 has. The 458 is a beast all by itself and I would hazard a 488 isn't an option for most track day enthusiasts. Many FCA members I know track non F cars but that isn't always the preferred way to go. I'd encourage you to look at the 430 Challenge as a real option. There is a great code scanner on Amazon that lets you purge the F1 pump at home, if you are so inclined, and the cars are very reliable. There are some very knowledgeable people on these groups (far more than me... I'm deep into a flat-12 personally) that can walk you through the path.

As for family involvement, we just sold our 40' motor coach and that was the real way to make it family friendly. Dogs could come, we could host track side social hours...it made the whole thing easier. In the Northeast there are a lot of farm-to-table restaurants not too far from the tracks so you're covered on the social hours. Sorry to hear you missed your track day...better safe than sorry. Our situation was the ants-so you get an anteater-philosophy. While we were track side comfortably, we now had to store a car, a trailer and an RV and of course upkeep them all. Too many moving pieces for me to maintain and there truly are NO resources in a metro area for this equipment.

I ended up with a binned-up 458 a few years back simply because the person didn't have track day coverage. My job was to get it running for Copart auction, as there was no way to repair the damage without specialty Alcoa parts from Ferrari and they were NOT going to sell to me (or anyone else quite honestly).

10. F12_vrooom

F12_vrooom Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Brandt U
    @c4b4the04 - excellent points. My thinking on the dealer route for the Challenge car is this: my dealer offers the same “arrive and drive” for prior gen Challenge cars as if you are in the Ferrari Challenge series. The store, maintain and transport it to your track event. The 458 Challenge I’m looking at has been maintained by them for years, so when I compare costs and could prob do on my own for less, but I’d have all the logistics to handle. I love hearing that you and your fam would have a blast at the events.

I need to do some more research on if local race teams or perf garages do similar “arrive and drive” programs. Given how busy we are, it really is the only option if I want to get a track car. I might be better off just doing 2 of the Corso Pilota or Porsche Driving School courses per year to get my track fix, so much to think about!

Thanks for all of your helpful info and learning

c4b4the04 likes this.
  11. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Hi all,

Hi all,

I wanted to put Toyo r888r but they have only 325/30/20. And not 315. Is that okay?

last where should I get brake pads?

I have taken my f12 to the track regularly last summer til now (prob15 days) and DD it. It is bullet proof by Ferrari standards.

it’s a blast and really different from all the usual V8’s running on the track. I just can’t keep with the corvette w track tires on turns. Wonder how they are on regular roads or should I just stick w MPs4?

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tire Rack website has a lot of information on tires dimensions and recommended rim sizes. The same size tire from two different manufacturers will have different dimensions.

I have used the r888r on my 360. Lasted about 35 cycles and then the grooves started to cup pretty bad. I liked the tire compound, but fair warning, the tires make a lot of noise on moderate speed corners. They howl like crazy.

13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #13 Frank_C, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021

If a dedicated track car is what want, the dot 1 GT3 RSs are a great value, are bullet proof and are a blast on track. You don't need a mechanic, you can drive to the track in them and be very competitive even without slicks and are easy on consumables.

Moreover; plenty of tuning options and don't need to go to a dealership to be worked. I pulled the side and rear mufflers and added a Dundon inconel crack pipe, added a harness cage (net neutral weight after pulling the exhaust) and racing seats. Added dot 2 side skirts and wing tips and 2" taller carbon wing risers. The guy who sets up my suspension is a Gold Certified Porsche Tech, former racer and former crew chief who can flash the ECU. I haven't even replaced any of the suspension or put on slicks yet.

3POINT8 and rossodino like this.
  14. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    The first time I ever drove on a track was with my F12 at COTA wearing the gloves Schumacher wore when he won Montreal in 2000. Had an absolute blast. I then joined MSR Houston and tracked some more. A few months later I wound up buying a dot 1 GT3 RS as a dedicated track car. Traded the F12 on an 812 SF- night and day on track. It ain't even close.

The F12 just cannot hang with the big dogs: too much dive and roll, way too much understeer and too heavy. Yes it's a blast on the straights with that big V12- you'll be going 150 and that's their top end and you still have half a straight to go, but they've got you corner in & corner out and they've got you big time on braking 50- 75 m depending on the car (you've got more speed and much more weight to stop). You can almost keep up in the twisties but you have to be millimeter precise. Make a mistake and you'll understeer as if you've dropped a sea anchor- really bad. At least the 812 has RWS and once you replace the OEM springs with Novitecs (which dial out the understeer), it can rotate as good as anything out there. F12 just can't do that.

As far as tires, you'll need to maintain same rolling diameter otherwise you'll throw off the computer. The TDF Corsa PZC4 are the tires to use if they fit. They handle heat much better than the OEM P Zeros and are a much better track tire than the MPS4. I haven't checked Cup 2s (which are a great track tire) for the F12 as I know they won't fit my 812, but with those they are terrible on the street if not warmed up.

rossodino and VAF84 like this.
  15. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    #15 Alexcle, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Thank you. You sure made it a track machine!

it started w some open track and have found more time w covid and enjoying pushing the car and the track culture. This has evolved into a hobby now and I would look to DD the other car. Still and do t want to get a trailer etc. don’t know how committed I am yet -Lol

Yes
    I have the new GT3 992 on order to see how that goes and maybe then go for the gt3rs992 when out. But I don’t expect it until next year and still would take the f12 on the track.

16. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Thank you for the detailed feedback and contrast. I have driven the sf on the track a couple laps and it does seem more stable.

I love the look of the f12 and am hoping the gt3 satisfies the occasional/1/2 month track day.

I daily my black f12. And find it not too loud or gain too much attention. Does it make more sense scrap the gt3, trade f12 and get a pista now? The prices during covid have gone up 20%… or wait for prices to normalize sell gt3 and buy a pista. Keep f12.

17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    No. You are set. Congrats. Many, many Porsche instructors drive GT3s- the RS is not a deal breaker.

The biggest issues with tracking Ferraris are consumables and service.

I cannot emphasize enough the GT3s & RSs are track cars and are bullet proof. I have 6000 miles on mine, 5000 on track in a year and a half and only recently replaced the pads. One doesn't need to take them to a Porsche dealership for service and although the GT cars' are more expensive than the other Porsche's they are much less expensive than Ferrari's. Many, many suspension set ups, aero set ups, exhaust, etc. They are built like tanks and can take slicks straight from the showroom.

If you modify your Ferrari you need to take it back to OEM when you go back as the first things done in service is picture taking. Also, the GPS data is readily available to the factory. I remember one service where I was told exactly how many miles I had on track.

I would keep the GT3 and keep the F12. Best of both worlds- classic V12 up sports car/gentleman's racer which you can drive to the track where you can go 7/10 and still have an absolute blast out there and then go 9/10 in the GT3 which is a track car that you can drive on the street.

Bas and rossodino like this.
  18. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Thanks for the insight. Very intersting on the catalog.
    Makes sense. the pista is a different kind of sexy and keeps coming up in my mind. just the v12 sound and panache of the Ferrari on the track almost makes the maintenance cost worth it. Almost. I think.