Advice on Ferrari purchase | FerrariChat

Advice on Ferrari purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RibakM, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    All - new member here, have been following the forum for a while and very much appreciate the knowledge and insights on offer.

I was hoping to get peoples inputs as I look to make my first Ferrari purchase. I am a big fan of NA engines and to me therefore the only options are either the 458 or the F12/812. I already own a Porsche GTS (991.1, again bought for the non turbo engine).

So would love to get peoples thoughts on:
    - which car do you think would be a better complement given I plan on keeping the Porsche
    - whether the difference in overall usability and performance between the F12 and 812 justifies the difference in price

Thanks much in advance and look forward to hearing from all of you.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Road quality is actually very good and also weather is generally warm and dry. While it gets cool it rarely drops below 15 degrees Celsius.

Thank you for the links I will check them out.

I guess in my case it’s less of Porsche vs Ferrari (love both) but more of a “if I already have this Porsche variant, which Ferrari would be the most interesting complement/counterpoint”.

Very subjective question I know :), but always good to get the benefit of other peoples views who may have more experience than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    To complement - or is it compliment?!? - the GTS, I would vote V12. Drove an 812 GTS at a Ferrari Experience event which has the same engine as the 812 SF. It was very GT and civilized puttering around on city streets. But, give it a little throttle, and yowza!! The sound, the drama, the torque! Nothing like I've ever driven.

By the way, do you know the last year the 911 GTS was non-turbo?

T

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think a newer V12 might be better both as you say the roads are good and to ensure best possible vehicle condition (since it could be you are based somewhere like the Middle East where maintenance seems to often be deferred)

6. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    I expect some very good input (as a lot of people on FChat enjoy both Porsche and Ferrari).

P and F are so different, I also love both

I unfortunately don’t have experience with the F12/812.

7. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Thanks. Re your question, I think the 991.1 GTS (last non-turbo version) was made till 2016. Mine is a 2015 car.

tomc likes this.
  8. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Thanks. I do indeed live in the Middle East, and you make a fair point re the maintenance. Plan was to ensure that any car I bought was at least under the dealer warranty and had verifiable up to date service records.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I always like the idea of a gentleman’s 12 cyl front engine car, but as it would be my first Ferrari, the concept always runs out of gas early in the thought process. I just think the first one should be a high revving sports model.

But 12 cylinder cars will be history sooner rather than later and they have a smooth power delivery that smaller engines just can’t match.

Ngcanada likes this.
  10. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

Good morning, rookie (Ribak-M ! ) - you already own a sports car - why not follow the precept of il Commendatore himself: 'a Ferrari is a twelve-cylinder engine mounted in front of the driver' and acquire a splendid driver's car and IMHO the best looking body design the Company ever produced, the 575M Maranello, logical successor to the legendary 365GTB4 Daytona.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  11. MoCult

MoCult Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Moe Cult
    812 SuperFast / GTS is the way

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    To your question 1:
    991.1 GTS is a very nice car when pushed, comes alive at high revs, grows on you in proper use. But it's not a thrilling car, more a highly engineered, precise car.
    458 is partly similar in that it's more sports car than tourer, wants to go, rev, hit the corners, but it has a lot more flair, not to mention performance and power and so on. You know you're in something special every time you get in the 458, which is not so with the 991.
    F12/812 are a different type of Ferrari, and car.

question 2:
    Any question about justifying the difference in price depends very much on your means, which we don't know. F12 is very fast, takes corners brilliantly, huge power. 812 though is not just faster (by quite a big distance), it is set up more like the TdF and is more responsive, more febrile, more fun, more on edge.

All the cars in this equation are good, 458 and F12 are excellent Ferraris. 812 is in a different league, for me, Next up I would take 458 as it's more fun than F12, and also has a great engine, despite the brilliance of the F12s V12.

I am sure you have considered a 991.2 GT3 Rs, and a 997.2 3.8 RS, both in this price category, in your hunt for your next great NA car. Good luck!

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have a 997s, 458 and F12. I would say 458. Really, either Ferrari would be worlds apart from the 911. I like the 458 a bit better because it is pissed off all the time and you can be driving 35 mph and having a blast. The F12 is great but rather subdued at lower speeds. You have to really open it up to get it to howl and by then you are doing 150mph and asking for a ride in a crown vic. The 458 is not a great car to be in for long periods of time though. If you do a lot of long trips then the F12 is really hard to beat. I really don' think you are going to go wrong here.

14. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think for me the concern with buying an older car is making sure I get one with the right provenance and service record, which is much harder. Perhaps not the right one for my first Ferrari but hopefully in the future as the collection grows!

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    V12 would compliment better if that's what you are looking for. The decision between F12 and 812 is really which car you feel is more pleasant to the eye and your ownership horizon in terms of resale if that matters to you.

16. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Appreciate the detailed thoughts.

I use the GTS as my daily driver to work etc and I find its great for that role - unfussy and practical, but then as you say can be very fun when pushed. Also, its hard to explain, but I have a bit of an emotional attachment to that car. I drove both the 991.2 and 991.1 GTS when buying and consciously chose the older car because it spoke to me more (literally and figuratively).

The 458 is probably my favourite Ferrari of the last 15-20 years and so will for sure be something I own one day. At the same time i grew up dreaming about V12 front engined Ferraris :)

Re your point on means for an F12 vs an 812, I would be happy to pay up for the 812 if there was genuinely a material difference between the 2 cars. I actually think the F12 looks a little better but everything I hear suggests the 812 is superior in most other ways. The 812 GTS on the other hand is much more expensive (at least here) so i dont think i would want to pay such a hefty markup just for the open top. Maybe i could reconsider that in a couple of years when prices have corrected a little more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. RibakM

RibakM Rookie

May 14, 2021
    Thanks. I assume you mean that on the 812 i would be signing up to more loss of value whereas the F12 is likely closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve? I think its a fair point, although from what i can tell 812 prices seem to have corrected a lot in the last 12 months..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    pre-GPF 812 is amazing. I’ve been through 488, 360 CS, Performante and several more. Test drove 458, 458 Speciale, Ford GT, F12 and others. I’ll be making sure to hit 100k miles on the 812. By far favorite road car. I think they’ve come down in price enough at this point, but I’m sure there’s a bit of a ways to go. If depreciation is a concern you could buy a higher mileage example with fewer options (especially less carbon).

19. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    In your position, 458 Italia. I lusted for the V12 Ferrari, but at the stage I was at and the fact I never owned a Ferrari, I bought a 2015 458 Italia in 2017. Loved the car and there is nothing like it. Its raw, fun and angry. It is a pure drivers event every time you start it and drive. it feels special. I drove it for 4 years, no mechanical issues and with a warranty from the manufacturer. I just traded it in on a 812SF, completely different car. If I bought the 812SF first, I feel I would have not been ready for this car. I feel the right of passage as mentioned above is a rear engine V8 Ferrari first, then on to the bigger and better V12. Have fun chosing