cam drive bearings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

cam drive bearings

Discussion in '308/328' started by GTS_308, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #26 andyww, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    This seems to be a case where an oil leak is an advantage!

There actually appears to be 3 variations, there are two different outer bearings listed for the later arrangement, with differing sizes, 37mm and 44mm.

2. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    Ok, so there are some people here who did the bearing job before. Anybody remembers what replacement bearings you uesed (SKF#) and where you bought them?

Thank you

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Adam,
    I still have all the old parts from that job. During lunchtime I can look, whether I can still read the bearings identification

Best
    Marrin

4. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    #29 GTS_308, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Martin, thank you for your help. But your old parts are probably the OEM ones, part# 6203 - 2RS1/C4VG154. But those are not longer available from SKF with no replacement.

Regards
    Adam

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Adam,
    how do you know about this 'VG154'? Have you already removed your bearings?

Best
    Martin

6. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    no, I did not, but there are some older threads here about the bearings and in one or two this number came up. VG154 musst be the grease but I couldn't find any specs.

Regards
    Adam

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since I have a lot to do with all kinds of roller bearings I would like to contact 'my folks' at SKF. But since I didn't see that bearing designation myself -and have never ever seen- I prefer to avoid asking them things I'm not aware of.
    Like said. I will look later, what I had in my engine.

Best
    Martin

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Martin,

You might try Dave Helms or Brian Crall.

I bet either one would know.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Prefer the sources :) And if there actually was such a bearing designation, I think they should know at SKF or Schaeffler.

Best
    Martin

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Adam,

o.k., I looked, what came out of my engine in 1999.
    Bearings are SKF 6203 2RS-1 / C4. No further letters or numbers.
    They are still running fine. Like mentioned above, the seals were the problem.
    Today 40.000 kms later there are no problems with the replaced bearings.

I also would not overestimate the grease temperature range. Today every good multi-purpose grease is good for 130 centigrades. And this is used in wheel bearings which can reach much higher temperatures while doing serious mountain drives. I assume, that SKF doesn't fill their bearings with something less capable.

Best
    Martin

Rifledriver likes this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    No argument on that, I have just replaced every bearing and seal on my engine, however I simply purchased replacements from GT Car Parts and trusted that they are selling bearings that are appropriate for the application. Maybe I should not be so trusting???

12. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    Martin,

The actual equivalent would be 6203-2RSH/C4 than which is easy to get. But those bearings are only good for 120C max and I’m not sure if this is enough. So probatley the "VG154" meant uprated grease for higher temps....?

Regards
    Adam

13. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    Half of that price here in Poland...

Regards
    Adam

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    the RSH is the new designation for the seal washers and identical with the old 2RSH. Other manufacturer like *** called it RSR.
    Regarding the grease; I don't know. Like said, I have the simple 6203 2RSH (or 2RS-1) C4 in my engine since 17 years and 40.000km and all is still perfect. BTW, internet was not so big in 1999 like today and my bearings were supplied by an official Ferrari dealer back then.
    But I also do not know, whether I ever reached 120 centigrades on these bearings.

Best Regards
    Martin

15. GTS_308

GTS_308 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016
    Who knows about the temperature. The engine oil temp could go up to 120+C and the bearing itself produces heat as well. So more temp resistant wouldn't be bad. But then I can only take C3 bearings like 6203-2RSH/C3GVN. Those are good for 150C but have lees play then OE bearings.

Reagrds
    Adam

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If I would have to decide, I would focus on the correct play rather than the grease temp. range.
    I once had a seizing bearing on an Alfa propshaft while driving on the german Autobahn because someone installed a standard bearing instead of a C3. It suddenly seized at around 3500 1/min. Result was deafness of my wife's and my own ears for several minutes, bent propshaft, bent transmission extension, damaged floorpan and a lot of melted rubber almost starting to burn.
    If the grease doesn't stand the temperatures the bearing will rapidly wear and probably begin creating noise. If it fails because of the wrong play, it may seize. I would NOT prefer the consequences of the latter. At least the front cover and possibly the gear shafts could go south.

Best
    Martin

17. ltoth

ltoth Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    heidelberg,ont.
    Full Name:
    leslie toth
    As a rule I change the cam belts AND the belt tensioners together every 5-6 years. I have 3 other cars to drive in the summer so the accumulated mileage is not much. I always buy them from T.Rutlands (God bless them!) and have never any cam belt issues. Instead of worrying about high temperature bearings--high temperature to my knowledge is never an issue-- worry more about placing the belts: one tooth out and you will have problems. There is a procedure for doing it properly and I would be much concerned about following that procedure. I believe the Birdman has a very good tuitorial on this subject-learn it !

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't think they are talking about the tensioner bearings though. But, I do agree that the steps for installing the cam belts are important to master.

19. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I just got bearings from Superformance yesterday.

They are:
    SKF Explorer
    6203-2RSH/C4
    Made in Italy

GordonC likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never seen any of the many generic 6203's from any source or manufacturer that I have seen installed fail prematurely.

This is being overthought.

21. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    With your experience, that is actually NICE TO Hear ... SERIOUSLY.

Saabguy likes this.
  22. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Brian,

Question: What level of 'sub-nominal' would have to be vizable from the outside, before you would conclude the inner bearing is likely SHOT too?

[Hope that question makes sense]

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have never, not one single time replaced an inner except when I have had the engine out the trans off and the front cover off anyway. They have far better lubrication and far less load. If the front cover is off I do them as a matter of principle.

Saabguy and smg2 like this.
  24. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Thanx, Brian.