Mercedes F1 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mercedes F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercedes F1 team spent over £324m to win in 2020

The Mercedes Formula 1 team spent £324.9m to win the 2020 world championship, newly released company accounts have revealed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The number represents a slight drop relative to the £333.2m it spent in 2019, reflecting both a shorter race calendar and a general move by the sport to reduce costs.

Although the headline spending figure includes many items that do not come under F1’s new cost cap, it nevertheless indicates just how much the team has had to restructure to meet this year’s limit. The cap is pegged at $145m, or £115m, for 2021.

The figures also indicate that the team made it through the COVID-hit 2020 season in surprisingly good financial shape, with its turnover dropping only slightly from £363.6m to £355.5m.

That small discrepancy shows that while like its rivals Mercedes was hit by the overall drop in F1 income and hence payments to all teams, it still generated significant sponsorship income.

The team posted a profit after taxes of £13.6m, down slightly from £14.7m in 2019.

The numbers relate only to the costs of running the Brackley race team, and include a fixed £13m fee paid to the HPP division for the use of its engines, the same amount paid by other Mercedes PU users.

Despite the impending arrival of the cost cap for 2021, the personnel head count at Brackley continued to rise last year, from 968 in 2018 and 1016 in 2019 to a record 1063 in 2020. That included an extra 34 people added on the design and engineering side just over the past year.

In his report on the year Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff noted: "In 2021 the team will continue to develop its financial sustainability, aided by delivering maximum competitiveness under the new financial regulations and by diversifying and leveraging the capability of the team through the Applied Science division."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-f1-team-spent-over-324m-to-win-in-2020/6504714/

DF1, sammysaber and mcimino like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Dis-obeying team orders......now he's selling his Mercedes car.......hmmmm.

3. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Hmmm, Trying to one-up Seb by divesting his works brand cars before being sacked.

stavura, Jeronimo GTO, ricksb and 3 others like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hamilton ordered him not to sell it to Russell!:p

5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Now that's funny.

He needs to sell it to Keke Rosburg. Then Keke can sell it to Russell, and Russell will get called up.

That worked for Hulk anyway, sorta (he got that RP time last year arriving at the track in the car Keke had just sold him).

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bottas sells Mercedes road car to help fund home go-kart track

Valtteri Bottas has put his Mercedes AMG GT road car up for sale to raise funds for his home go-kart track in Lahti, Finland.

The Mercedes F1 driver posted a link on social media to a page inviting offers on his blue, 2018 Mercedes AMG GT at a starting price of €190,000.

The post was aimed at his Finnish followers with no explanation in English, but he told Finnish publication IS that part of the money would go towards a crowdfunding project for the track in Lahti where he learned to race.

A crowdfunding page for the Valtteri Bottas Racepark claims the track needs investment to fend off redevelopment and that its paddock area has already been lost to the construction of a new ring road.

The page sets out a target of €100,000 in order to develop a new paddock to a level that would attract European and World Championship-level racing.

"I am committed to investing financially in the Pippo track and I am now looking for people to work with to develop the place," Bottas told IS.

Bottas said he would hand over the AMG GT to the new buyer personally and would taking them karting in Lahti as part of the deal.

He also revealed that he has a new Mercedes road car on order after upgrading to an AMG GT Black Series, which will be delivered to his home in Monaco.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. DF1

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/977812/1/grosjean-after-five-minutes-i-could-see-why-mercedes-f1s-greatest-team

Former Formula 1 driver Romain Grosjean says it took him just five minutes to understand why Mercedes has dominated the sport since 2014 after visiting the team’s base at Brackley.

Grosjean completed a seat fit at Mercedes’ factory earlier this month ahead of a farewell test at Paul Ricard in June.

The Frenchman was keen to have one last test outing in an F1 car after his dramatic, fireball crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix last year, which forced him to miss the final two races of 2020 as a result of the injuries he sustained.

Mercedes organised a test for Grosjean to drive Lewis Hamilton’s 2019 title-winning car at the French Grand Prix, but this is now in doubt after F1 has rescheduled its calendar following the postponement of the Turkish GP.

With the French GP set to take place a week earlier, it clashes with the Road America IndyCar weekend - with Grosjean currently competing in the series.

Speaking on F1’s Beyond the Grid podcast, Grosjean admitted he was immediately impressed by what he experienced during his short visit to Brackley.

“I got to the factory and I was amazed by the facilities, the way people are working around it. After five minutes within Mercedes in Brackley, I could understand easily why they were the most successful sports team in history, I think.

“Find another team, whatever sport, that has been winning as much as Mercedes has done. It is almost impossible. Therefore, getting in there and seeing and understanding it, it is very clear.

“Even though this year everyone in Bahrain testing was like ‘Red Bull is faster,’ here we go, with three races done – Mercedes two, Red Bull one. That is the strength of that team. They may not have the fastest car but they will always find a solution around that and you feel it when you are there.”

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I would be curious to know what is the precise element that at the end of five minutes of visit allowed him to understand that it was the most impressive team in history?

Bas likes this.
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He comes from Haas: it´s easy to impress him.

Apart from that, they´re lending him a car for free so I suppose he wanted to be polite.

furoni, stavura, Bas and 4 others like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    LOL, he’s probably impressed by his new IndyCar team.

Bas, Jeronimo GTO and Senna1994 like this.
  11. DF1

Years of experience in F1 does not hurt his ability to assess what he see's. More of an expert than most I would suspect. We can be cynical or we can allow him to provide his observations as the experienced F1 pilot he is with multiple teams.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I was not cynical, I was genuinely wondering what was the quick observation that allowed him to infer that. I think the organization and the number of people working in Brackley are the most logical answers.

Bas and ingegnere like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    With all due respect, Grosjean has not any solid base to say what he said: the only thing he could see was that they had a big factory and lots of people. That alone is not a small advantage, but in a quick tour he couldn´t learn know how they work and of course, they didn´t show him the "important stuff".

Bas and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You can't stop the critics to start a demolition job, now can you?

15. DF1

If Button was stating this what would they say then eh????????????????? LOL. Hate club today it is it seems. Sad.

As if none of us have been impressed with something in a short amount of time.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The KEY takeaway from what Grosjean said was "the way they work" .......

17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So he also inferred that being the 'practice champion' means that you have the fastest car in the season. When did that start? As I recall, Ferrari had become the masters of being the 'practice champion'. Lots of good it did them!

Kevin

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Bottas' mind is now focussed on something else.
    At least it won't affect his WDC chances

19. DF1

A nice gesture on his part to assist young ones in their wish to compete. Well done I say.

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree.
    Is Mercedes contributing ?

21. DF1

That would be a good thing. I would think in some material fashion possibly and not funding???

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Monaco 2021 post-race....at the factory. Removal of Bottas wheel nut.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Time for a redesign.

24. DF1

The most intriguing thing for the weekend. Certainly not the race LOL :)

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely. It's a really stupid problem to have.

All the best,
    Andrew.

375+ likes this.