Hey, Magnum! | FerrariChat

Hey, Magnum!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Today I heard someone shout "Hey, Magnum!" for the first time in a very long time.

For better or for worse, I think the new series is pushing the old series into the archives.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Were you wearing your Hawaiian shirt?

Saabguy likes this.
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I used to hear it all the time. I usually with a wave and a smile. If I thought they were being a jerk, I would shout back..... Higgens?

ingegnere, Imatk and Saabguy like this.
  4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I have been asked if my 328 GTS was the car Don Johnson drove in Magnum..

TurtleFarmer, Saabguy and 308 milano like this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    At the local gas stations/parking lots my 328 gets the Magnum comments occasionally. Most of the time it's something like, "Hey, isn't that the Magnum car?" I always reply, "Yes, it is!" It makes for a much friendlier intercourse than telling them they're wrong. Sometimes, if we end up talking a bit, I might say "Actually this is a later model than the one Magnum drove but they look pretty much the same."

I know some folks have commented that they don't like the association with Magnum but I'm the opposite; I think it's neat and heck, I got interested in 3x8s because of the show!

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The new series is still on?

willrace likes this.
  7. Ccashen1

Ccashen1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2013
    It is. Not nearly as fun as the old one, but better than it used to be.

Saabguy likes this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Have neighbor that moved from California and can’t seem to respect property boundaries. Calls me many things but Magnum isn’t one of them.:)

308inSD and dinoart like this.
  9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Were you driving a 488 Spider at the time? :confused:

As I understand it, the new faux-Magnum series (never watched it - Never will! There's only one Magnum p.i, and he's 6'4", with a big mustache, and drives nothing newer than a 308 GTS ), had a 308 GTS for a few minutes, in a desperate bid to link the new show to the old one, which got smashed to pieces in a ridiculous stunt scene (using a replica stunt car/CGI car), that the real Magnum p.i series would never have needed, and the Ferrari used by the faux-Magnum is a 488 Spider.

How old was the person who shouted out "Hey, Magnum!" ? - Chances are they were old enough to remember the real Magnum p.i series, and the new show had nothing to do with them shouting out to you.

When I owned a 348 TS (which looks nothing like the real Magnum's 308 GTS), I had people calling me "Magnum" (I also had people suggesting I bought it because of the white one in Miami Vice [I tried to tell them that my car was a 348, whilst the Miami Vice car was a Testarossa, only to be informed: "No, it's the same car!" :confused:], and I had people saying that they didn't know Ferrari made a Testarossa with a removable roof panel! o_O )

Since buying a red 328 GTS, I've already had people asking if I'm going to grow a mustache, and start wearing Hawaiian shirts and shorts (I've tried telling them that Magnum drove a 308 GTS, not a 328 GTS, but they won't have it - "No, THAT'S the Magnum car!" [At least the 328 GTS is pretty much the same shape as the 308 GTS] )

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I saw a 458 on the road today and the thought crossed my mind that I wonder if people shout hey Magnum to drivers of 458's and 488's like they do to driver's of 308's.

Rosey likes this.
  11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    You should tell them Tom Selleck drove a gold 74 firebird in miami vice.

JrBucksco, Brian A, maurice70 and 2 others like this.
  12. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    For 15 years I drove my Lotus Elan +2S all over Europe with the MSA /RAC Euroclassic. With up to 200 entries, mostly Brits, I became known as "Foxie" due to the unusual Irish registration of the Lotus, "70 XIE"

When I turned up in my newly acquired '78 308 GTS in 2012, in less than 20 minutes I had a new nickname.

"Paddy O'Magnum"

13. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    :D

ingegnere likes this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    No Mike, I was NOT wearing a Hawaiian shirt. I had like 3 sweaters on.

It was friendly fire: I was at our local Friday morning old guy Cars & Coffee. I was departing so just gave the guys a thumbs up.

I really don't mind hearing "Hey, Magnum". It is an acknowledgement and a reaching out by whomever to connect a little bit. I think it is nice. ... and it's a heck of a lot better than hearing someone shout, "Hey, Christie."

That darned original show is now well over 30 years old. I wonder how many people, if any, who didn't see it when it aired now search it out and watch it. I bet zero: its only old people who shout "Hey, Magnum" to a 308.

THAT is a very interesting question. I have only owned my 308 for 8 years. I have to ask a question back: When 308s were still new and Magnum p.i. was originally being aired, did anyone shout "Hey, Magnum" when they saw a 308 pass by? I am thinking probably not. In the same way I suspect a current 488 owner doesn't ever hear "Hey, Magnum" either.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "did anyone shout "Hey, Magnum" when they saw a 308 pass by? I am thinking probably not."

Absolutely they did! I rented a 308 two different times for several days each time while Magnum was on the air and heard it frequently when just driving in town from people on the sidewalk. Maybe it was more pronounced since we rented them in Honolulu/drove all around the island! ;)

Saabguy likes this.
  16. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    It is still on and I like it. I always DVR it. Recently I went back and watched the full series of Miami Vice on demand. Back in the day I really thought it was one of the best shows but not so much today. When I watch the old episodes of Magnum P.I. I think it definitely aged way better than Miami Vice.

17. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I fell in love with the car on that show which is why I now have one :)

I have the entire series on Apple... still holds up... great show.

robbie308, dbdreams and Rosey like this.
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Magnum's best years were the first 3 in my opinion.

The rest were good and I never missed one however TV series seem to get better as the characters begin to find themselves but I have always felt Magnum was great right out of the box. Later when Magnum and Higgins were on pretty good terms with each other and when they decided to start hinting that Higgins was Masters, it went slightly downhill for me. Just slightly, but still..

dbdreams likes this.
  19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I agree I like the early episodes the best even the music in the first couple of episodes was better to me more nostalgic can't really say why it just is.

mrnation8 likes this.
  20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I didn't catch all the Miami Vice episodes back when it was first aired just a few here and there. When I get the cable channel that has it on demand for a free preview weekend I have been binge watching it and felt the same it doesn't hold up like Magnum to me anyways. I do enjoy seeing all the actors who are famous now that were on the show back then. Last episode I saw had Benicio Del toro in it when he was about 16.

dbdreams likes this.
  21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was a child of the 80's. When Miami Vice first aired I was in 10th grade. I had a beta VCR and I would set it every Fri night (high school years, I was never home on Fri or Sat) so I never missed one. I loved it.

I still have many of those episodes on those old Beta tapes. They are cool in that they were recorded THEN meaning the commercials, TV show previews etc are all on them. I dubbed them to DVDs 20 years ago and I can play one now and literally be watching a Friday nigh lineup from 1984 exactly as it aired, commercials, news, everything.

I thought the movie in 06 sucked.

Thomas Magnum and dbdreams like this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    BTW, it looks like someone is trying to put together a new Miami Vice 'Homecoming" something with all the old cast.

Interesting 2 min trailer:

Rosey likes this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The boys don't have quite the same tuff guy attitude with grey hair and pot bellies !!

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  24. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Especially the last season of the the original Magnum PI was dark in my opinion.
    Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Especially the last season of the the original Magnum PI was dark in my opinion.
    Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app